Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs staff

Options
  • 23-12-2017 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I often find supermacs employees to be a bit awkward to deal with when ordering food. Quite defensive and odd. Also distant. Never have such problems in McDonald’s or Burger King? Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Nice try Ronald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

nails1 wrote: »
    I often find supermacs employees to be a bit awkward to deal with when ordering food. Quite defensive and odd. Also distant. Never have such problems in McDonald’s or Burger King? Anyone else?

How can someone be defensive when taking a food order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I remember being thanked by one of them for being the only normal, civil human being in their shop once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Also distant.

Shout a bit louder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

How many did you have before you went in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I'm not surprised. The behaviour of the clientele in Supermacs on O'Connell Street is demented in comparison to the McDonald's a few doors down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,674 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm wondering just how much fast food does one have to be ordering either in Supermacs or McDonalds in order to form that hypothesis?

They're both national franchise outlets, like, how many have you visited?

Personally I can't say I've ever noticed any odd attitudes from staff in either Supermacs or McDonalds I've been to tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

I'm wondering just how much fast food does one have to be ordering either in Supermacs or McDonalds in order to form that hypothesis?

They're both national franchise outlets, like, how many have you visited?

Personally I can't say I've ever noticed any odd attitudes from staff in either Supermacs or McDonalds I've been to tbh.

Usually met with a cold look when trying to return cold chips. Like I've done something offensive by politely asking to have my food changed. The staff then crowd together in a panic like I'm trying to rob the store when asking something simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Usually met with a cold look when trying to return cold chips. Like I've done something offensive by politely asking to have my food changed. The staff then crowd together in a panic like I'm trying to rob the store when asking something simple.

Is this a wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

OnDraught wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. The behaviour of the clientele in Supermacs on O'Connell Street is demented in comparison to the McDonald's a few doors down.

The say its the might mac sauce thats partly responsible.

Also Cold chips are a massive contributing factor to the rioting in Supermacs.

Probably.

• Advertisement

OnDraught wrote: »

What about McDonalds clientele at 4am on a Sunday morning. I've worked on O'Connell street for years and have seen many Garda bringing clientelle out of McDonalds in hand cuffs, never from supermacs. Oh yeah it's only the ones who are drunk so that's somewhat acceptable

What about McDonalds clientele at 4am on a Sunday morning. I've worked on O'Connell street for years and have seen many Garda bringing clientelle out of McDonalds in hand cuffs, never from supermacs. Oh yeah it's only the ones who are drunk so that's somewhat acceptable

You work on O'Connell Street at 4am?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be training and psychology - McDonald’s staff are specifically told to gain eye contact with customers. McDonald’s will have analysed customer-staff interactions to the nth degree.
    I've worked on O'Connell street for years and have seen many Garda bringing clientelle out of McDonalds in hand cuffs, never from supermacs.
    Are you saying gardaí won't arrest their own kind? :pac:

Victor wrote: »
    Are you saying gardaí won't arrest their own kind? :pac:

The Supermac's is like an unofficial embassy.

Anytime someone says they find staff in Ryanair, Supermacs or any retail or service industry cold, I wonder how that person has behaved around them.

I used to frequent Supermacs in Heuston station because I had to regularly get trains south. Some of the antics you witnessed were unreal. People screaming at staff "I pay your wages!" because there was tomato on the 2 euro burger they just bought.

I've had nice conversations, with supermacs workers, and ryanair workers, and hotel staff all over the world. Be nice and polite to people and 90% of the time they are nice back to you. Often times they will go out of their way for you.

The OP already said they were returning cold chips. I'd wonder how their humour was when returning them. Could explain the reception they got.

The OP already said they were returning cold chips. I'd wonder how their humour was when returning them. Could explain the reception they got.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I find the food muck in them all to be honest.

Staff are human so treat them like one you never know they actually be lovely people but dealing with the public eats one on the insides.

:(

Did you smile at them and say "Im sorry to trouble you but these chips are cold. Could I get some hot ones?"?

Or did you go "Oi! These are bleedin cold. I want fresh ones! Now!".

Which did you do? Or variations of.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I find the food muck in them all to be honest.

Correct.

The difference is the customers.

On average, local drunks got to the local lad's shop, international drunks go to the worldwide franchise.

There's a reason many hospitality business owners here say "we do like the foreign guests".

Correct.

The difference is the customers.

On average, local drunks got to the local lad's shop, international drunks go to the worldwide franchise.

There's a reason many hospitality business owners here say "we do like the foreign guests".

Makes total sense.

In my proffesion I get to deal with all them types of people and more ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Scamrepus.

That's Supermacs spelled backwards. An odd response for a fcuking odd thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Omackeral wrote: »
    Scamrepus.

That's Supermacs spelled backwards. An odd response for a fcuking odd thread.

Go back to bed .... You OK hun

• Registered Users Posts: 23,674 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh right, that does help :pac:

Yeah, having worked in Supermacs at least, many many moons ago, they were very particular about documenting 'wastage', so the chips you returned had to be documented, same as when I once had to return a snack box because the chicken tasted like it had been marinating in a bucket of fairy liquid, they've to count the chicken pieces. It's not the worst system as it means there's traceability in the food at least.

I don't know if McDonalds have the same policy, chances are someone else could fill you in on that one, but I'd imagine the looks you get and the ensuing consternation among staff is because someone is responsible for it and they're given a stern talking to.

The food may not be up to Marco Pierre White standard, but it has to be at least fit for human consumption!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Fast food staff less than friendly? Not quite chirpy enough for their thousands of customers?

Weird.

Must be something in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Can't understand why supermac staff cannot tally up the correct number of ketchup sachets necessary for the foods ordered, if any saches are put in the bag anyways, after being asked.

And no sauce on the vegi burger is another one that poses great difficulty.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Can't understand why supermac staff cannot tally up the correct number of ketchup sachets necessary for the foods ordered, if any saches are put in the bag anyways, after being asked.

And no sauce on the vegi burger is another one that poses great difficulty.

And one napkin given when there's an order for two or more people. Oh and why Is there never a plastic fork supplied with my garlic cheese chips when using the drive thru. Do they expect me to eat them like McDonalds French fries. Always have to drive back and queue up to ask for a fork(politely I my add), only to be greeted with a group of staff huddled together like rabbits looking at me like I'm the bearer of bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

stock

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My local Supermac's staff are generally good. The odd time they are messy when they are training a new bunch but the bad one's don't make the cut. I'd rate them a lot more than the staff at the local independent chippers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Problem with working in fast food places like SuperMacs, McDonalds and the like is that you can encounter some a-holes. Especially if the opening hours cater to people coming in after a night out on the town.

So best to distinguish someone with a bad attitude and someone having dealt with jerks previous just doing their job ;)

Advertisement