Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop Discussion (Split from Bargains)

Options
  • 20-12-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭

anyone still looking for a switch as part of gamestops 12 days of christmas say that if you buy a switch you get a game free https://www.gamestop.ie/12-days clicking on it wont work for me today so im unsure if its a limited set of games

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

magnumbud wrote: »
    anyone still looking for a switch as part of gamestops 12 days of christmas say that if you buy a switch you get a game free https://www.gamestop.ie/12-days clicking on it wont work for me today so im unsure if its a limited set of games

Saying its a free Nintendo plush or t-shirt on twitter.

https://twitter.com/GameStopIreland/status/943405289612677121
    fg8lqn5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Some of those deals have been quite good. This one is not one of those. It's a really worthless deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,376 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Gamestop should be banned this site, certainly anything that promotes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Geeze they must have a surplus of **** t shirts. They were giving them away with pre orders only a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Whenever stores have these '12 days of christmas' deals there is always crap deals during a lot of the days. Hopefully might get something decent the last few days, the collectors editions the stand out so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

pretty bad form to change the deal in the middle of the day....

Corholio wrote: »
    Whenever stores have these '12 days of christmas' deals there is always crap deals during a lot of the days. Hopefully might get something decent the last few days, the collectors editions the stand out so far.

The anime distributor Anime Limited in the UK do a 12 days sale too, while you might not buy everything their offers are always extremely good. The last day they always do a mystery box, this years had 7 sets worth £360rrp for £40.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

sligeach wrote: »
    Ha - was just thinking the same myself

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Add them to the swearing filter. They'd show up as ******** any time someone mentions them. :D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Mr E wrote: »
    Add them to the swearing filter. They'd show up as ******** any time someone mentions them. :D:D

Or edit to something else so the intent is retained. Gimpstop? GameSTAHHPP? Grumpstop? etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Corholio wrote: »

The half price Pokemon Loot, half price plushes sorted me out for a few presents. The 30% off pre-owned consoles was fairly decent too. The collectors edition one, again, was decent. It seems to be pretty good or pretty sh!te!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Saying its a free Nintendo plush or t-shirt on twitter.

https://twitter.com/GameStopIreland/status/943405289612677121
    fg8lqn5.jpg

its quite possible it said that earlier i was sleepy at the time

magnumbud wrote: »
    its quite possible it said that earlier i was sleepy at the time

No, it definitely said one free select game on the website. It has now been changed on the website as per the twitter post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, it's a company, you are a customer
    You don't have to be a customer.
    But I can understand the I'll feelings towards poor practice.
    All I can suggest is make a complaint and don't shop there again.
    But they've enough bargains that pop up now and then that makes them worth calling into, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Looks like everything I ordered from Gamestop apart from South Park collectors edition is going back to headquarters..

Somehow one of the Nightline drivers leaves the South Park in the garage while the other drivers have no idea what they at and 2 days in a row have no left the packages at my house..

Not sure if I left my dad's number or not but my area where I live is very small and everyone knows each other so if they bothered to ask anyone they would have found out where I live..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

Heads up for anyone still waiting on their Amazon.de 3 for 2 games, I had to email customer support to get a replacement sorted as my games still haven't arrived yet. Ordered on the 7th, due to arrive on the 15th but no sign of it (I have the prime trial but I went with free delivery). Emailed to say they were missing and were Christmas presents. Sending a replacement......that arrives on the 30th.

Same for me ordered on the 4th and still nothing yet. They assure me it will be here tomorrow but i highly doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Honestly, it's a company, you are a customer
    You don't have to be a customer.
    But I can understand the I'll feelings towards poor practice.
    All I can suggest is make a complaint and don't shop there again.
    But they've enough bargains that pop up now and then that makes them worth calling into, imho.

Call in by all means, it's a far better experience with actual support should anything go wrong. Ordering online however, that's a whole different ball game...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    Call in by all means, it's a far better experience with actual support should anything go wrong. Ordering online however, that's a whole different ball game...

Exactly what I was thinking reading all the horror stories on here - I've never had problem with them but that's probably because I've never ordered anything online from them. 99% of the time they're way too expensive compared to the competition, the other 1% they have some great deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sligeach wrote: »

But you still buy from them, weird attitude to have. The only way they'll cut out their wanker practises is if people stop giving them money. Giving out online and then continuing to shop there is going to encourage them to keep doing it because people keep buying their ****e

Anyways, given Gearbest went from part of the swear filter to cronies in the space of a few months I can't see GameStop getting tossed off the site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

But you still buy from them, weird attitude to have. The only way they'll cut out their wanker practises is if people stop giving them money. Giving out online and then continuing to shop there is going to encourage them to keep doing it because people keep buying their ****e

Anyways, given Gearbest went from part of the swear filter to cronies in the space of a few months I can't see GameStop getting tossed off the site

I do all my buying online, but I had never used Gamestop before and never will again.
    The only reason I used them was that they were the only ones with the specific deal I wanted.
    Lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

To be honest, I haven't found them to be any better in store.
    Game held for me on phone call in 30 mins later it's gone and the staff member is magically gone too.
    Vip points scratched on 'new' games (that's an older issue)
    I'm sure if I go for therapy, I can drag up more buried memories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've been disappointed by every seller, be it bricks and mortar or online.
    More often than not it's typically a good experience but there's always a chance it'll go pear shaped.
    This tends not to be malevolence but more likely incompetence on the part of an employee, and the frustrating effects of a company trying to reduce their liability for such mistakes.
    None of this helps , but don't be thinking that this is isolated to Gamestop, Amazon or any organisation for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm sorry but Scratching the Vip points isn't incompetence.
    Of course you run the risk of errors when shopping but gamestop seems to have a higher occurrence than most and their efforts when they do make a mistake isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've been disappointed by every seller, be it bricks and mortar or online.

No
    Don't you go lumping Amazon in with GameStop. They occasionally have delays when they hand off to an international carrier but they are nothing like GS. The measure of any customer-facing service is in how they treat you when everything goes to ****, and in my direct and indirect experience they have always put the customer ahead of any other consideration.

GameStop on the other hand I judge on how they behave when they get things right. Ordered champions amiibos, they got them in stock, they let me know in a timely fashion and then kept me waiting in store for 30mins with the amiibo on the desk while they figured out how to process a credit card on an online click n Collect. Not one employee, /all/ the employees in the shop. ****ing ****show.

So, to repeat myself, don't shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Loyal Red Army solider to the end, communism fell so too will the decadent game shop. I'm just hoping I can sneak in for their closing down sale when it comes real soon. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gamestop even though they never let me down on a console pre order there is always something else bothering me. I've seen their employees sell games on Adverts for money, people said on here they seen Gamestop employees trade in games at CEX, selling new 3DS games for 55 euro, PS4 ones for 75 & I don't know how they make money back on second hand games that cost 2 or 3 quid less than new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So, to repeat myself, don't shop there.

Ah it's not that simple, there's very little consumer choice over here. And there never will be because a bricks n mortar shop that targets a specific market and trains & retains its staff and gets a wide range of popular and niche products in and sells them at reasonable prices will not be profitable. So I'll continue to use them when I have no alternative, when I see an opportunity to profit from them or as a last preference. But given the choice between my principles and getting what I want + having a moan about how hard it was to get on Boards, I know which side I butter my muffin.

Anyway not much happening on the bargain front. Smyths dropped the price of the mario-themed joycon grip and some wired controllers by a fiver (to 15 and 25 respectively) but they've been cheaper I think. Amazon US had Has Been Heroes download code (requires a US account to activate) for $10 earlier in the week but don't know if that's still on. I'd say most places will hold steady on prices now 'cause you're more likely to get panic buyers who'll pay higher prices than self-indulgent bargain hunters willing to brave the car park to save 5 quid on bomberman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭Inviere

Banjo wrote: »
    Don't you go lumping Amazon in with GameStop.

Indeed, one has customer service, the other, well, doesn't. Ciderman's advice to not shop there if you so choose is of course correct, but it is important for potential shoppers to know what they're getting into when ordering from Gamestop too. Amazon will go to high hell and back to resolve an issue for a customer, GameStop, won't even pick up a phone. You're well and truly on your own with GameStop should anything go wrong...no phone answered, voicemails not monitored, emails not monitored, generic copy/paste auto replies...my advice to anyone would be shopper is to stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Indeed, one has customer service, the other, well, doesn't. Ciderman's advice to not shop there if you so choose is of course correct, but it is important for potential shoppers to know what they're getting into when ordering from Gamestop too. Amazon will go to high hell and back to resolve an issue for a customer, GameStop, won't even pick up a phone. You're well and truly on your own with GameStop should anything go wrong...no phone answered, voicemails not monitored, emails not monitored, generic copy/paste auto replies...my advice to anyone would be shopper is to stay away.

You gotta take matters into your own hands it sounds like...

Falling-Down-Sub-Cult.jpg

:pac:

Advertisement