Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly thoughts you had as an innocent child

Options
  • 21-12-2017 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭

I used to think when I was small (we use to hear a lot about Somalia) why does someone not just open a shop for them?:o

Needless to say it got a bit more complicated.

Still it seemed the best solution at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

My brother tough hamburgers where called hand burgers because you eat them with your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I liked RTE. Until sensible maturity hit me at the grand old age of 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Believed my family were the only people who knew what scrambled eggs were

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

As someone who went school in West clare - when in infants and did that rain rain go away don't rain on me but rain on the n__________ boys far across the sea..

I thought the teacher meant kerry!

As for dropping the n word in infants don't ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I only realised a couple years back that nuts grow on trees. It's perfectly logical that they do, I just never really thought about it.

I also thought Polish coal was polished, not from Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I thought that 'going to the pictures' was literally going to look at pictures, in a gallery. It sounded very boring so I didn't go. The fun of being the youngest child and the lies your older siblings tell you for ****s and giggles.

My mam or dad couldn't understand why I had no interest in 'going to the pictures' until I was about 6.

When I finally went, my sister told me that giant bubbles start coming out of the screen, lift you to the roof, pop and drop you to the ground. I was terrified before the film started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I thought pigs pooped sausages!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

In the 80s my Mam used to buy wedges of Edam cheese and for some reason they made me think cheese grew from the ground in balls. My dad had me convinced he fought in 'Nam and won the Dublin marathon (there was a picture of his crossing the line in the house) for years, so much so I told teachers in school about both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That black people had white poos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Gorilla warfare always confused me when I was young. Why were big apes fighting each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

That I'd just automatically become an adult on my 18th birthday with the endless knowledge that my parents and other grown ups seemed to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I used to think newsreaders could see into your living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I invented a cure for drowning. Everyone should carry a balloon on them at all times, so that if you found yourself unexpectedly in water, all you had to do was breathe in and out of the balloon.
    My teacher laughed at my deadly idea :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Anyone remember that ad for Surf that said "if you're not happy Lever brothers will give you your money back". I thought they were saying "if you're not happy leave your brothers give you your money back" and I thought this was a very unfair policy as I didn't have any brothers to reimburse me :p

I also thought that every time an ad came on that it was live and broadcasted over and over again, rather than being recorded and played. I used to think that people must get so bored going in to work all the time to broadcast the same ad.

I also believed when I was a small child that people in Ireland didn't die, that it was something that only happened to poor unfortunates in other countries. Like Ireland was some sort of Tir na nOg :p

I had many, many questions for my poor parents who now lament that there was no Google at the time to help them give me answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When I was 3 I thought people would never die if they kept their eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I used to think Camogie was underwater hockey for women. My father told me that as a joke when I asked him what it was. Naturally you believe what an adult tells you until someone tells you otherwise. I found out the truth when I was 17.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There was a killer tractor, the dargan tractor, driving the roads and running over people. It was black. Had nightmares for years about it. I love tractors, just not black ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

After seeing some old black and white movies, I thought that everything was in black and white years ago.
    I thought it didn't rain over the oceans and seas.
    I thought that teachers lived in the school and never left, when I saw one on the street one day, I was amazed.
    I thought the 'body of christ' (communion) was literally the body of christ, and thought it very wierd that you'd eat a little piece of skin off a dead man.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Didn't we have this thread before
    Our dad told us that a puddle at the bus stop in Crumlin was bottomless, I was terrified of it.
    Friends said that banshees lived on the roof of Johnston, Mooney and O Brien's bakery in Ballsbridge...would hold my dads hand and close my eyes when walking by.
    The little press under the stairs, I thought it was the "country room" not "cubby room" and that it possibly had a secret tunnel to rural Ireland.

My younger brother wouldn't go to bed until my parents turned off the TV and promised no one would watch it while he was in bed
    My younger sister was worried that while she was at school she might need her mammy and was terrified she wouldn't be at home si mam would have to assure her she would spend all day at home waiting on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That gay sex just involved some sort of swordplay with the willies. Had no concept of butthole pleasures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That Dublin city and Dublin county were the same thing and despite living near Dublin I remember being absolutely amazed to discover there were farms and rural areas in Dublin.

Just as a bit of social history my father know someone who farmed in Blackrock right up to the 1970s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

That cats were female and dogs male.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

tringle wrote: »
    Friends said that banshees lived on the roof of Johnston, Mooney and O Brien's bakery in Ballsbridge...would hold my dads hand and close my eyes when walking by.
    This one has cracked me up. :D

Why would a troop of banshees decide to live on, of all places, the roof of the JM&O'B bakery?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,997 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That tobacco was grown in Cavan. :o

HC0001409.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I wouldn't get my ears pierced as when I heard piercing gun I thought I would have to line up and have the earrings shot at me from across the room.
    My Dad put an egg on the chair my little sister had been sitting on and when she came back he told her she had laid an egg. She was traumatised, it was hilarious!
    I believed my Grandad that the field up the road was Jerusalem, he used to bring me walking with him and his dog there. I also believed him when he said he, my Granny and the neighbours were all going to die on the same day and go to heaven in a wardrobe. So it was a bit freaky some years later when he and the neighbour actually did die on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fogartyl

When I was young I thought that disabled parking spots were for people with gigantic asses (I never saw a person in a wheelchair before).

fogartyl wrote: »
    When I was young I thought that disabled parking spots were for people with gigantic asses (I never saw a person in a wheelchair before).

Americans? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

When I was about 9 or 10, my friend and I lit the end of a twig and "smoked it". It didn't even light properly. It just lit at the end for a second and then went out but we imitated the actions of smoking with it. I remember saying to her "why do people bother wasting their money on cigarettes when they can just smoke sticks?"

On the train, we use to pass by these red brick houses and I use to think it was Coronation Street.

Also near where I grew up, there are these 8 lovely little cottages in a half circle. My parents told me that there was one for each of the 7 dwarfs and the other for Snow White.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

That there was this guy in the sky who made the universe in 6 days. Then 4 billion yrs later inpregnated Mary with his son, who was kinda him. He then got nailed to a cross and died, but didn't actually die.

• Advertisement

Ooh, that reminds me. I heard about people 'smoking grass' so I pulled a clump of grass from the garden, rolled it in copybook paper, stuck it with sellotape and lit 'er up.

Nearly chocked to death! :eek:

Advertisement