Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your usual drill at Christmas?

Options
  • 20-12-2017 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

Turkey and ham dinner rubbish on the TV people calling in.:rolleyes:
    Still it is a relaxing day off.
    However it has never been the same since Santa stopped coming to me the mean old fart.:D

Am I just dull and miserable?

Well is Christmas a dull and boring day or is it the greatest day of the year and what is the typical Christmas day like for boardies?

sad-cartoon-santa-claus-illustration-looking-51125489.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It usually ends up being a massive pain in the arse, I find. So the drill is to make it as much of a lack of a pain in the arse as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Can't beat Diwalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Most boring day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Make sure no obstructions are in the way of our downstairs loo for my movicol loving mother in law...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Allinall wrote: »
    Can't beat Diwalt.

DeWALT''s are better imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Up early for a light breakfast. Mass then friends call round to us for coffee, minced pies, cake, pudding etc.
    We'll then head over to one of our kid's homes for some fun with the grandchildren, gift exchanges, photos, and craic.
    Dinner followed by a hour or two watching a movie or playing a board game.
    We'll head home then, light the fire, pour a few drinks and settle down to something or other on the TV - there are dozens of channels so we'll find something to watch - stuff our faces with sweets and crisps and relax.

It's a bit of rinse and repeat over the few days after that, with the venues changing and a few long family walks thrown in, if the weather allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just another day with two empty chairs now.

So go through the motions for X hours or so and heave a big feckkin sigh of relief that it is all over.

A lot of it is false jollity just because it is expected. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just another day with two empty chairs now.

So go through the motions for X hours or so and heave a big feckkin sigh of relief that it is all over.

A lot of it is false jollity just because it is expected. Think about it.

Captain no craic here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Small family and no kids so my mam cooks too much food and then the 4 of us sit around depressed and we're so full we can't even get drunk to beat the boredom. I actually find it such a depressing day and am delighted when it's over, I can understand why people with kids would like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Our family meet up multiple times a year and we love that.

Christmas is a false thing. You HAVE to be happy, nope you don't have to be on the day, too many loved ones missing. But we do our best.

It's an age thing. I get that younger folk cannot comprehend the loss but there we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'm single with a small family so it's an utter ordeal for me, If I could work that day I would.

I'm single with a small family so it's an utter ordeal for me, If I could work that day I would.

Same. And I'm always hungover on Xmas day which makes it far far worse. I really need to try not to be this year, it'd be a lot easier to deal with then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

lz1XYKU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

i think if you have a family you actually like being around, it must be a nice day.
    I loved the lead up to christmas, but I always hated the actual day itself when i was growing up because we hadn't any family, it was just our bunch stuck with each other til our friends became available to relieve us.

I've my own kiddo now and it makes it much more enjoyable:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

Black and Decker. It’s hammer time!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

mad m wrote: »
    Make sure no obstructions are in the way of our downstairs loo for my movicol loving mother in law...:rolleyes:

The plumbing not the best ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Learning that 300 years of French and Saunders is on TV at 22:00 on Christmas Day has cheered me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

diomed wrote: »
    Learning that 300 years of French and Saunders is on TV at 22:00 on Christmas Day has cheered me up.

Why 300 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why 300 years ?
    It is their 30th anniversary show,
    although it might be a reference to what it will feel like if you watch the Michael McIntyee Show earlier in the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Up at 6am and do the santy thing with the little one.

Search high and low for batteries. Never learn.

Down to her aul pair for the traditional middle of the day dinner. Say we won’t eat too much. Never learn.

Up to my aul pair for a later-in-the-day dinner. Still so full so say we won’t eat much. Never learn.

Veg on couch with stomach cramps, milling into a box of roses, making it worse. Never learn.

Everyone into the car and down to the aunties for a night with the extended family. Reminisce on the way down about fun times and Christmas spirit with family. Watch uncles drink far too much and talk ****e. Never learn.

Wouldn’t have it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Getting locked on Belgian ales usually features strongly. Generally a good time!

Why 300 years ?

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

The plumbing not the best ?

You said it, its like waiting on a volcano to erupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Up harrowingly early with the kids for Santa. Coffee and presents. Sneak off for a quick nap mid-morning. My parents and sister (and her family) arrive. More presents. Family dinner and drinks. When everybody leaves and the kids are in bed, sit in front of the fire with wife and cat, browse TV and try some wine (wife) and Imperial stout (me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Pull myself out of bed around 9. Dinner with the family around 12-1. Spend the evening in a food coma while eating Heroes, Quality Street or whatever is within arms reach :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Up around 9. Big breakfast around 10.30. Maybe a walk, open a few presents, dinner around 3.30. I don't know how people a dinner any earlier in the day tbh. Watch telly, graze on sweets and crisps. Then, the best parts of the day, fresh white loaf, real butter, mayonnaise, Turkey, ham, and stuffing, with a big mug of tea. Bed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Before Dinner:
    Up at stupid o'clock even though we're all on the wrong side of 25
    Find the capri sun and chocolate santa in our stockings
    Open all the gifts, spend a few hours tinkering with whatever we got
    Usually on the alcohol by 11 or 12
    I go help me ma with dinner prep, but most of it is done the night before
    We usually have a TV show on in the background and people just wander around drinking and eating shíte until dinner

After Dinner:
    We crack out the board games & buckfast as soon as dinner is over and pretty much play board games until the wee hours of the morning, MAYBE taking a break for a film of some sort. Parents usually give up on the board games by midnight. We might keep going until 4 or 5am depending on how the alcohol & food has sat with us. Lots of cheating, lots of yelling, lots of rules being made up on the spot, and penalties for breaking rules that never existed until it suited someone to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No immediate family left in Ireland and parents both gone so family Christmas is not an option anymore. Gone to my sister and her family in Holland the past few years. This year will be going away to spend the day with friends in Cork. Growing up, it was a full house with grandparents, auntie, my 2 older sisters and my mum and Dad.

Far too much food and drink, dinner served about 4pm. By 7pm open presents (us kids got our Santa pressies in pillowcases when we woke) for the rest of the family but everyone comatose. RTE and BBC would show the big film that was in the cinema 2/3 years previously.

Too many silly expectations about the day. Best to just chill out. Of course if there are kids about, it makes it special.

Advertisement