Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG sound bar Save €240

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does it have an optical port and just no lead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

This is very, very tempting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Fairly lukewarm feedback on HUKD, check out first I'd say. WHICH awarded it a 'Don't Buy' apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

errlloyd wrote: »

It has ARC (audio return channel) via hdmi so you don’t need an optical
    Anything connected separately by hdmi to the tv will send full sound to the sound bar

Most tv’s and gadgets also have it this past few years

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I've bought 2 LG soundbars in the past - both had an optical port but neither came with an optical lead.

It's very annoying and stingy, but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

E30i wrote: »
    Fairly lukewarm feedback on HUKD, check out first I'd say. WHICH awarded it a 'Don't Buy' apparently.

I've only had a quick look online but it has very good reviews on Best Buy, Amazon and Currys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cool, sorry for the technophone question, but how good is it at detecting inputs?

If I plug my Alexa into it via AUX and TV via Arc will I always have to change the input, or can it use both / auto detect?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

E30i wrote: »

Which don't get a good rating on Trustpilot.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.which.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

It says it does in the product details

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

If your TV is a non LG you will need to use two two remotes, one for the TV, one for the Soundbar. That was a deal breaker for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think this is the normal price for this I doubt it was ever as high as they are claiming.

https://geizhals.eu/lg-electronics-sh4-a1509577.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭masterboy123

It has an optical port but i had to buy an optical lead which costed around €30. A good quality lead is required.

I don't think there is another way to connect it to the TV. I didn't see HDMI port.

It has good reviews on many sites and sound is great. Of course not as good as Sonos playbar. But bass is very good.

Came with 1 year warranty.

Any import tax on this? And shipping charges?
    Suckit wrote: »
    I think this is the normal price for this I doubt it was ever as high as they are claiming.

https://geizhals.eu/lg-electronics-sh4-a1509577.html

Any import tax on this? And shipping charges?

Shipping charges should be mentioned on the site but if not, from Germany it is possible to use Mailboxde and the price would be roughly €20.
    So it would be €129 + €20.
    No import tax within EU.

But i was just pointing out that the price was probably the normal price. Not recommending that you buy it from Germany.
    Yesterday when i checked the price, there were a few more below €140 iirc. There were definitely at least another two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

It has ARC (audio return channel) via hdmi so you don’t need an optical
    Anything connected separately by hdmi to the tv will send full sound to the sound bar

Most tv’s and gadgets also have it this past few years

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

Which would people recommend to connect to a TV.

Hdmi or optical cable ?

Is there a notable difference between the two.

Alright. So overall it will be same price from other EU country.

Yes there is another sound bar for 130€ from LG but this one has better reviews and the subwoofer is wireless.
    Suckit wrote: »
    Shipping charges should be mentioned on the site but if not, from Germany it is possible to use Mailboxde and the price would be roughly €20.
    So it would be €129 + €20.
    No import tax within EU.

But i was just pointing out that the price was probably the normal price. Not recommending that you buy it from Germany.
    Yesterday when i checked the price, there were a few more below €140 iirc. There were definitely at least another two.

Sound bar has recommended to use Sandstrom optical cable.
    I have attached picture of the one i bought yesterday. It's pricey alright
    Barr wrote: »
    Which would people recommend to connect to a TV.

Hdmi or optical cable ?

Is there a notable difference between the two.

Sound bar has recommended to use Sandstrom optical cable.
    I have attached picture of the one i bought yesterday. It's pricey alright

Optical cables are like HDMI, in that they can be needlessly expensive in the pursuit of a 'better connection'.

Optical cables are digital, just like HDMI, so as long as the light gets through, the perceived 'quality' of the cable is pretty irrelevant. If you're buying something else, Amazon do a 'basics' range of cheap optical cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

No need for an expensive HDMI/Optical Cable.

More expensive one's sometimes have increased shielding from interference, which only applies, or is an issue if the back of you're TV is more populated with cables than a medusa's head.

Any cheap HDMI/Optical cable normally performs the same as expensive ones, only go for a more expensive cable if you plan on removing and re-inserting cable constantly as the more expensive one's tend to be a bit more robust.

Also the note below:
    • Via HDMI, you have CEC, which allows you to control the volume of your soundbar with the original TV remote.
    • Optical Cable does not offer this functionality, you would have to use 2 remotes instead of 1.

Alright. So overall it will be same price from other EU country.

Yes there is another sound bar for 130€ from LG but this one has better reviews and the subwoofer is wireless.

It is the same one. The LG SH4D model.
    https://www.conrad.de/de/soundbar-lg-electronics-sh4d-schwarz-bluetooth-inkl-kabellosem-subwoofer-1607889.html

My only point is that, there is not a saving of €240.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Also the note belo:
    • Via HDMI, you have CEC, which allows you to control the volume of your soundbar with the original TV remote.
    • Optical Cable does not offer this functionality, you would have to use 2 remotes instead of 1.

HMDI seems to be the way to go. Much handier to have one remote for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Barr wrote:

Might be a stupid question but can you set the volume on the sound bar then use the volume on tv or does it make the tv volume obsolete ??

Barr wrote: »

Unless you also have an LG TV - in which case the TV will switch on/off the soundbar, and the TV remote will control the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Might be a stupid question but can you set the volume on the sound bar then use the volume on tv or does it make the tv volume obsolete ??

It overrides the TV to avoid echoing, so only sound from the bar and woofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Picked one up early. Connected to the TV with a cheap optical cable and it's working perfectly.

As for the extra remote. I already have 3, smart TV/Horizon box/stereo, so another one to loose isn't a problem.

The price drop quoted doesn't matter as all companies put sales items up before the sale so that they can advertise a bigger discount.

I am using LG audio sync on my LG TV. So like you said the TV remove controls the sound bar now, turns on when I turn on the TV. Pretty neat!
    Schorpio wrote: »
    Unless you also have an LG TV - in which case the TV will switch on/off the soundbar, and the TV remote will control the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Picked one up earlier. Cheap optical cable is a good as an expensive one for this.
    Loads behind the counter marked reserved for collection in Carrickmines only one out on the shop floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

You can get the better sj4 with hdmi connection for €180 in did electric

On DID website I see only SJ2. Is there a SJ4 version?
    how.gareth wrote: »
    You can get the better sj4 with hdmi connection for €180 in did electric

• Advertisement

Advertisement