Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Gallagher awarded damages - ''tweetgate''

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Who was the best candidate is neither here nor there.
    RTÉ took Gallagher out plain and simple.
    Frightening that they got away with it.

I would look back at the link posted earlier. Gallagher was all over place.

1. McGuinness tried to say he was a fianna failer but he tried to distance himself from that
    2. He then went on to admit he organised a attendees for a fianna fail dinner
    3. Then he went on to say one of these men was a convicted criminal and drug smuggler.
    4. Then he said that of he did indeed collect an envelope from this individual it was delivered straight to fianna fail headquarters

He lost it when he said "envelope". He was trying to paint a picture that he was arms length from FF but still managed to outline that he was close to them and fundraised for them. This is what really swung the public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

You've no problem with the *license payer* paying for this
    Could RTE try shifting the blame to the host of the offending broadcast and make a claim in the courts against Pat Kenny and/or his company? If so and if successful in the courts, could the money awarded cut RTE`s losses? If not successful in court, could RTE simply deem Pat Kenny to be at fault in a unilateral way and could they reflect such a unilateral decision by simply not renewing any of his contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Could RTE try shifting the blame to the host of the offending broadcast and make a claim in the courts against Pat Kenny and/or his company? If so and if successful in the courts, could the money awarded cut RTE`s losses? If not successful in court, could RTE simply deem Pat Kenny to be at fault in a unilateral way and could they reflect such a unilateral decision by simply not renewing any of his contracts?

It's Christmas Eve, Sean, well into Christmas day.

Go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

"De Envelope!"

DE ENVELOPE!

lol. Made my year.

He lost it when he said "envelope". He was trying to paint a picture that he was arms length from FF but still managed to outline that he was close to them and fundraised for them. This is what really swung the public opinion.

Ah revisionist nonsense.

Everyone knew about the FF connection and his popularity rise and rose. The accusation was that he got a brown envelope from a criminal. It was an accusation made by a party rammed with criminals, so it sounded convincing, after all if anyone knew what fuel smugglers did with their money it was SF. That was the new angle that finished him.

• Advertisement

Ah revisionist nonsense.

Everyone knew about the FF connection and his popularity rise and rose.

Haha! Thanks for the laugh, merry Christmas.

Everyone knew about the FF connection and his popularity rise and rose.
    You are absolutely right. It was RTE that sabotaged Sean Gallagher. RTE behaved disgracefully throughout that entire campaign. I would go so far as to say the office of President should cease to exist because the national broadcaster RTE is incapable of being impartial.

Haha! Thanks for the laugh, merry Christmas.

I'd say neither of us is laughing as hard as Sean Gallagher, what a merry merry Christmas he must be having!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,511 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd say neither of us is laughing as hard as Sean Gallagher, what a merry merry Christmas he must be having!
    Not nearly as merry than if he was in the Park though.

Not nearly as merry than if he was in the Park though.

Ach, he'd have to probably attend some function or other. The way things panned out he gets the money but not the work.

• Advertisement

He deserves it.

Ach, he'd have to probably attend some function or other. The way things panned out he gets the money but not the work.
    Indeed and the next President will have to undo the damage caused by Michael D. When President Kagame of Rwanda politely paid a visit to the Aras, Higgins put us to shame just as he did throughout his tenure. Paul Kagame is a truly inspirational head of state. When they met, Higgins really hadn`t a clue. They sat down and exchanged a few pleasantries. President Kagame then went back to his very impressive workload and Higgins went on being a figurehead.

As for that big shindig they had for him in London, well that was just the Brits having a laugh at our expense. A real live leprechaun to amuse the English and feed every stereotype they ever had of the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Kind of in the middle about this. RTE have the right to scrutinize candidates in an election but this seemed a bit like a set up to me at the time by Sinn Fein. On the other hand, politics is a dirty business with fake news and innuendo par for the course, he didnt come across in the best light when faced with the accusation and didnt make a convincing denial that he would if he was 100% innocent. Going around crying about it after the fact shows that he isnt the kind of person we need in the office anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ah revisionist nonsense.

Everyone knew about the FF connection and his popularity rise and rose. The accusation was that he got a brown envelope from a criminal. It was an accusation made by a party rammed with criminals, so it sounded convincing, after all if anyone knew what fuel smugglers did with their money it was SF. That was the new angle that finished him.

Look back at the video man. First of all he was the one who said "...if I did collect an envelope..." and immediately regretted it. When Pat read out that tweet he could have easily played it off but he hung himself out to dry. It was also Sean who first said that the man he was dealing with was a fuel smuggler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Look back at the video man. First of all he was the one who said "...if I did collect an envelope..." and immediately regretted it. When Pat read out that tweet he could have easily played it off but he hung himself out to dry. It was also Sean who first said that the man he was dealing with was a fuel smuggler

Gallagher showed his total inexperience when coming under pressure. All he had to say was he had no recollection of any of the events but instead gave long waffling answers about meeting people and money and envelopes and started tripping over his words, making it looked like he had a load to hide.

Whoever coached him for the debate did a bad job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It was still the most entertaining thing I watched on tv in years though.

the_syco wrote: »
    If one tweet caused the frontrunner to fall flat on his face, I'd wonder how strong his campaign was?
    He started off as an independent with an anti-establishment vote, no one knew who he was or what he stood for at the start. Once it was clear that he had any sort of link to Fianna Fail all the support evaporated.

Yes he was well and truly stitched up. But it was a mud slinging campaign so he knew that any dealings were likely to be exposed.

TBH I can't see how he was entitled to substantial damages, given that he claimed to be an independent

Advertisement