Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe all the stats that are thrown at us nowadays?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

If a family loses a house or rent becomes too expensive they are effectively homeless.

So by your logic adults living with their parents are also homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

NIMAN wrote: »
    Have been thinking about the homelessness crisis recently, and wondering if there are really the huge number of people homeless as we are being told?

I guess of course it depends what you class as homeless, but sure who ever questions the figures?

Another one tonight was a TV advert about people who are abused by their partners, you know the advert where the babysitter hears the husband hitting the wife upstairs through the baby monitor.

Well that advert says that more than 300,000 people have suffered severe abuse by their partners. 300,000? That sounded a lot, plus I got to thinking "how do they know that actual figure"? Do they do a poll of 100 people and multiply it up?

There's 4.5 million people in Ireland. If you take out say 50% who are kids and who can't in theory be abused by their partners, then that leaves 2.25million. Then you have to take out other adults who wouldn't fit into the numbers, like single people, people in nursing homes, priests, then that must bring numbers to under 2million?

So, out of 2,000,000 we have 300,000 who have been severely abused by their partners. Thats less than 1 in 7.

Do people actually think this is accurate? I certainly don't. But hey, it probably keeps plenty of people employed by a few bodies and charities, and on a decent wage.

The statistics for immaculate conceptions must be on the rise. No matter how many times we see mothers of three living in a hotel, we rarely see a father.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jcon1913 wrote: »
    The statistics for immaculate conceptions must be on the rise. No matter how time we see mothers of three living in a hotel, we rarely see a father.

Goddidit!

I believe 28% of statistics, with a 72% margin of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

jcon1913 wrote: »
    The statistics for immaculate conceptions must be on the rise. No matter how time we see mothers of three living in a hotel, we rarely see a father.

And they even become expectant mothers of 4 while in a hotel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement