Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a Shannon Airport whisky?

Options
  • 15-12-2017 4:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭

As it says in the title really. Someone asked me about a whisky, Paddys whisky I think, that's something to do with Shannon Airport, but I can't find anything about it. I'm just wondering if such a thing exists?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shannon's spurious booze claim to fame is the Irish Coffee. It's almost certainly untrue

Paddy is meant to be named after a salesman and would predate the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    Shannon's spurious booze claim to fame is the Irish Coffee. It's almost certainly untrue

Paddy is meant to be named after a salesman and would predate the airport.

The Irish Coffee was allegedly invented in Foynes - home of the flying boats.
    This "airport" predated Shannon, so it is untrue that it was invented in Shannon but I have no reason to doubt that someone in Foynes came up with the idea and gave it a name.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Irish Coffee was allegedly invented in Foynes - home of the flying boats.
    This "airport" predated Shannon, so it is untrue that it was invented in Shannon but I have no reason to doubt that someone in Foynes came up with the idea and gave it a name.

Without digging on a phone, I've read an article claiming the idea and name were both in use before there were aircraft even. Late 19th century Dublin pubs

When you think that a lot of pubs that were bonders were also tea and coffee merchants it's almost inevitable that someone tried it really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

L1011 wrote:

Incorrect,it was first made in fones Co limerick during the flying boat era, when a storm came and the flying boat couldn't take off so they were in the local pub and asked for something in their coffee so the bar man put in a drop of whiskey ...

lab man wrote: »
    Incorrect,it was first made in fones Co limerick during the flying boat era, when a storm came and the flying boat couldn't take off so they were in the local pub and asked for something in their coffee so the bar man put in a drop of whiskey ...

Allegedly.

That's my point, *that* story is highly spurious. I got the side of the Shannon estuary wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lab man wrote: »
    If you look on wiki the truth in that might be that it was first NAMED Irish whiskey on that date.

I invented "Irish coke & vodka" just now, people may have been mixing the 2 for many decades, but I stuck an Irish on it, and reversed the usual vodka & coke.

Another one, "Irish toast underneath beans" -you heard it here first folks, great invention.

The flying boats story does not even have him adding cream. It was in the 1940s. Seems in the 1800's they were already doing it with cream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_coffee#Earlier_coffee_and_alcohol_cocktails
    From the mid 19th century, the Pharis and the Fiaker were served in Viennese coffee houses, both coffee cocktails served in glass, topped with whipped cream. The former was also known in northern Germany and Denmark around this time. Around the turn of the 20th century the coffee cocktail menu in the Viennese cafalso included Kaisermelange, Maria Theresia, Biedermeier-Kaffee and a handful of other variations on the theme.[citation needed]

In 19th-century France, a mixture of coffee and spirits was called a gloria.

"Un trait de son caract it de payer greusement quinze francs par mois pour le gloria qu'il prenait au dessert." (Balzac, Le P Goriot, 1834, I.)
    "Il aimait le gros cidre, les gigots saignants, les glorias longuement battus." (Flaubert, Madame Bovary, 1857.)

Advertisement