Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is sitting down is the new smoking?

Options
  • 14-12-2017 2:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

Heard this once a few years back. What are the reasons that this is considered bad?

Apparently your metabolism is slower when seated. Frankly, I'm not worried about that, as there's no fear of me getting fat. However when I'm seated, usually after about an hour, I begin to feel a very uncomfortable in my back side. A mere 2-3 minutes standing up makes it go away. But then when I sit down again, it occurs a bit sooner the next time... maybe 40 mins... depends on how long the break was. The amount of time it takes for me to begin to feel pain seems to vary. For example, in a car seat it takes a shorter amount of time. But sometimes I can do it for 2 hours or more and not feel uncomfortable.

At the moment I often do a 3 hour bus journey, and during this journey I stand up twice. I probably spend a total of 10-15 minutes standing at it. And I go towards the back of the bus to do this, because it isn't allowed! I might get the odd stare but I don't care. What's even more interesting, is no one else does this!? In spite of how bad it is for your health, and how uncomfortable it is, people are too self conscious to stand up.

Ultimately, this is what I'm asking; is that I suppose I shouldn't be worried about the amount of time I'm sitting down, but more so that I should make sure to get up whenever the uncomfortable feeling starts. And what are the consequences of prolonged periods of time with this feeling in my rear? I was talking to a lady recently about it, and she said that she also gets pains in her knees.

Anyone here know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Anyone going out for a sit down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ah feck - Ive set the couch on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Your Face wrote: »

Is that because you have a hot ass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Thankfully I stand when I smoke.
    Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Anyone going out for a sit down?

Nipping out for a cheeky stand?

Have to say, i do like a good sit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Doing a masters in this area at the moment.

Sitting really is very very bad for you.

It's not sitting per se, it's the inactivity.

Even if you run for an hour or work hard at the gym for an hour every day...the sitting will undo most of the beneficial effects that the exercise has.

Very interesting.

Luckily to counteract it, getting up out of the chair for a minute or so every 45mins or so will counteract a lot of the negative effects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sitting for extended periods is bad for you - no question. Messes up everything - digestive system (not joking here, you'll know the difference if you get a moving about manual job), circulation, joints, back, tense shoulders. A desk job staring at a screen is probably as insidiously an unhealthy a job as you can have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

Even if you run for an hour or work hard at the gym for an hour every day...the sitting will undo most of the beneficial effects that the exercise has.

Very interesting.

Luckily to counteract it, getting up out of the chair for a minute or so every 45mins or so will counteract a lot of the negative effects
    I'd like to know more about the physiological processes behind this, so that I'll be able to know whether or not it's possible to avoid the harms while studying. Is there anything you could refer me to?

Based on what you're saying, I'd want to be getting up more than 45 mins! But I'm not sure I understand what you mean anyway? On that note, couldn't that mean that one might be inactive if they're standing? And what's it ultimately down to? Is it reduced blood flow?

What's the title of the masters? And does it involve lots of sitting down?!

Sitting for extended periods is bad for you - no question. Messes up everything - digestive system (not joking here, you'll know the difference if you get a moving about manual job), circulation, joints, back, tense shoulders. A desk job staring at a screen is probably as insidiously an unhealthy a job as you can have.
    I'm doing a masters right now that involves a certain amount of sitting down. And I wouldn't notice a thing different about myself if I were working as a gardener in the morning.

How do you know this? Did you change jobs at some point and notice a difference yourself?

A desk job staring at a screen is probably as insidiously an unhealthy a job as you can have.
    And what does your job involve you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Try telling that to the chair people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

My boss doesn't force me to smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

I'd like to know more about the physiological processes behind this, so that I'll be able to know whether or not it's possible to avoid the harms while studying. Is there anything you could refer me to?

Based on what you're saying, I'd want to be getting up more than 45 mins! But I'm not sure I understand what you mean anyway? On that note, couldn't that mean that one might be inactive if they're standing? And what's it ultimately down to? Is it reduced blood flow?

What's the title of the masters? And does it involve lots of sitting down?!

Exercise science in Dublin.

It's down to mets generated. Google some studies done by mike Morris on call centre workers. That's a good place to start.

Forcing the people to work standing up had significant implications for improving their health. Standing desks were used.

Zero increase in exercise. Good increase in health benefits.

I'm doing a masters right now that involves a certain amount of sitting down. And I wouldn't notice a thing different about myself if I were working as a gardener in the morning.

How do you know this? Did you change jobs at some point and notice a difference yourself?

Well obviously! That's how I know. Desk bound workers are unfit unless they make sure to do a regular physical routine - they might think they are fine but the cardiovascular system needs work or it constricts and becomes less effective. The best way to show that is simply to go for a brisk walk on a cold day - it warms the system up better than any central heating boiler.

You mention not getting fat in your case, well it's not just the fat you can see that's an issue - think of what surrounds your vital organs.

Some reading here https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/killer-chairs-how-desk-jobs-ruin-your-health/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Considering the vast majority of the population work an office job sitting down everyday all day, wouldn't we notice some huge health differences between them and people in other professions by now? The average office worker doesn't look significantly in any better or worse shape than people in manual labour for instance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Everything I do seems to be bad. I love chocolate and crisps and take away foods and sitting. I love bread and meat and not moving. I like the occasional binge drinking too. I despise exercise. Now I feel guilty when I get up and have toast for breakfast, thinking of all of the people who just cut it out. This morning my breakfast was lindt chocolates, I bet so many boardsies would be horrified. Fcuk it, it makes me happy.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Considering the vast majority of the population work an office job sitting down everyday all day, wouldn't we notice some huge health differences between them and people in other professions by now? The average office worker doesn't look significantly in any better or worse shape than people in manual labour for instance

Apart from being heavier and being pale/covered in make up? :D

Anyway as I said look is not the thing to worry about, it's what's going on inside that really counts. I'd expect people who are in offices all day to have a higher resting heartbeat than those in manual work (all other things being equal - obviously someone who smokes with a **** diet will be a risk regardless of how they spent their working life)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'd expect people who are in offices all day to have a higher resting heartbeat than those in manual work (all other things being equal - obviously someone who smokes with a **** diet will be a risk regardless of how they spent their working life)

But all other things very rarely are equal. A construction worker eating a breakfast roll every morning and a chicken fillet roll every lunchtime is a far more likely candidate for visceral fat than an office worker with a healthy diet.

What you seem to be extrapolating from the article you linked is that sitting a lot is a direct cause of weight and health issues. It's not. It simply exacerbates poor lifestyle choices that *some* people make. I'd also wager that a lot of the obsese people in the studies he mentions aren't obese because they sit a lot, they sit a lot because they're obese. Correlation doesn't always equal causation.

Exercise science in Dublin.

It's down to mets generated. Google some studies done by mike Morris on call centre workers. That's a good place to start.

Forcing the people to work standing up had significant implications for improving their health. Standing desks were used.

Zero increase in exercise. Good increase in health benefits.
    Is that Mike Morris Trinity, or UCC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Is it alright if I lie down while smoking in the office ?

Also I had a doughnut for breakfast and a painkiller for my shoulder .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

jamesbere wrote: »
    Your Face wrote: »

Is that because you have a hot ass

Pics or......!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 noonan84

Sitting down in a relaxed fashion also leads to bad posture-I know I've certainly got better posture when standing. .My physio gave me some good exercises for helping the posture-would recommend them highly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

wakka12 wrote: »

Teachers should be healthier than other white collar workers if this is true. There probably is something to this but I wonder how much. The standing desk is becoming more popular in many offices.

Is that Mike Morris Trinity, or UCC?

Michael Morris university of Chester

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why has there been an explosion in fitness in the last decade it's down to the desk jockeys

Any man who does a decent days work will tell you that putting on a pair of runners or getting on a bike is the last thing he thinks of of an evening

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Very interesting.

ok, but don't male lions sleep like, 20 hours a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I like the idea of an academic sitting there typing up a paper on this subject.
    Their flat mate beside them deep in groundbreaking work on Irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've used a standing desk in work for the last 3 years. Recently changed jobs and the standing desk hasn't arrived yet - I find my concentration is really suffering, falling asleep at the desk almost!

Advertisement