Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Finance

Options
  • 14-12-2017 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering what arrangements people do for family finance? Myself & herself both work and we get paid into our own bank account & then we put an agreed amount of money into a joint account for all the household bills. Does everybody else do that or do you just have one account where both your wages go into and all the bills and your own spending money comes out?

I just curious about what people do and do couples share everything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I'd do something like a joint account if I had a family, for sure. Also if someone loved me.

and if I had any money.

:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I like to debit my credits

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Joint account is the only way that makes sense in a healthy marriage.

If one person has a very expensive hobby collecting expensive handbags or star wars figurines, and the other is struggling to pay for a basic 'luxuries' like a decent pair of shoes, it's only a source of resentment to see your partner throwing away money while the other scrimps and saves for something they need.

Also, when it comes to things like household chores, caring for children/pets/relatives home improvements, basic maintenence of the property, it's impossible to divide out these chores equally according to the monetary value of each task. If Spouse A does 10 hours overtime and gets lots of extra cash, while spouse B paints the garden fence that takes 10 hours but doesn't get any extra money... If spouse A treats his/herself to a luxury Item from the overtime payment and justifies it by saying 'Its my money, I worked for it', spouse B might feel taken advantage of.

Not to mention when children are involved, or if one person gets sick and can't work, or one partner gets made redundant and needs to go back to retrain in a different career...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Paulie Walnuts

Paid into our own accounts and transfer money to a joint account as required to keep enough in there for common things like bills and shopping etc (or if common things are paid from a personal account it's tracked and totted up every so often to see who owes who). The bulk of each of our wages is kept individually and spent/saved as you want. I'd be quite opposed to the whole scale combining of wages and much prefer to keep everything separate aside from common expenses.
    Akrasia wrote: »

If one person has a very expensive hobby collecting expensive handbags or star wars figurines, and the other is struggling to pay for a basic 'luxuries' like a decent pair of shoes, it's only a source of resentment to see your partner throwing away money while the other scrimps and saves for something they need.

I'd see the fully combined salaries way of doing things as a much bigger potential for resentment. For example if one partner has more expenses than the other then one partner will always feel their money is being spent on things they aren't buying/benefitting from.

You earn your money and you should have full control over your salary aside and from common expenses and essentials you should be able to spend/save it as you want, treat yourself when you want etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

First thing to do is draw up a family budget. Have an agreed amount for everything and make sure everyone is aware of it. You know how much your mortgage/rent/utilities are. Groceries can be variable, so try to recall how much your most expensive was.

Now add 10% for contingencies.

Now put that much money a month into a joint account and everything should balance out (or work out the weekly equivalent if that better for you).

That’s how we do it & it works well.

For 2018 we’re trying a new approach which is to pay ourselves a “wage” each week out of co-mingled funds.

Due to a change in circumstance one of us makes more than the other. So we’re each putting in 100% of salary & each receiving €100 a week for ourselves. Everything else will go on family expenses & whatever is left at the end of the month will be split equally between a savings account & emergency fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dumb Juan

Hi,
    Sorry what do you mean by a 'joint account'? Is it one account with both wages and spending coming out of or do you mean each with your own separate account who then pay agreed budgeted money into a separate family joint account for paying all the household bills out of?

BTW thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Akrasia wrote: »
    Joint account is the only way that makes sense in a healthy marriage.

Also, when it comes to things like household chores, caring for children/pets/relatives home improvements, basic maintenence of the property, it's impossible to divide out these chores equally according to the monetary value of each task. If Spouse A does 10 hours overtime and gets lots of extra cash, while spouse B paints the garden fence that takes 10 hours but doesn't get any extra money... If spouse A treats his/herself to a luxury Item from the overtime payment and justifies it by saying 'Its my money, I worked for it', spouse B might feel taken advantage of.

Not to mention when children are involved, or if one person gets sick and can't work, or one partner gets made redundant and needs to go back to retrain in a different career...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would this not be better answered over here > https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=544

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We've had a number of these threads before, and there was never any real consensus. Personally we have 1 account in joint names, and always have, coming up to 35 years married, and the thought of having separate accounts, with 'my' money and 'her' money just seems weird to me. Each to their own, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Married 1 years,
    we have always had our own accounts but also a joint account, we put a set amount each into the joint account each month to cover mortgage/all bills etc. Has always worked well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dumb Juan

Interesting & thanks for replying, I was just wondering have both you & your partner always worked outside the home & always combined your income?

If one is in paid employment & the other a full time career then I can see the logic of one account once everybody spends & saves the same way, if both of you spend & save differently then I could see it as being source of conflict.
    Alun wrote: »
    We've had a number of these threads before, and there was never any real consensus. Personally we have 1 account in joint names, and always have, coming up to 35 years married, and the thought of having separate accounts, with 'my' money and 'her' money just seems weird to me. Each to their own, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dumb Juan wrote: »
    Interesting & thanks for replying, I was just wondering have both you & your partner always worked outside the home & always combined your income?

If one is in paid employment & the other a full time career then I can see the logic of one account once everybody spends & saves the same way, if both of you spend & save differently then I could see it as being source of conflict.

Sometimes it was when were both earning, other times only the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We opened a Joint Account when we bought our house (engaged at the time). We did not pool our finances at that time but agreed that we would once we were married. We were each paid into our own separate Accounts and transferred money for Mortgage and Bills into the Joint Account.

After we got married we both got paid into our Joint Account. We also have Joint Savings.

We see any Assets we have as "ours". Have done since we got married.
    We have had different circumstances from me earning more than twice what he did (before he qualified), to us earning roughly the same, to me working part-time, to pay cuts during the recession, to him being a sole earner. We have both had small inheritances from our deceased fathers. We condider it all "ours". We don't spend more than €100 on ourselves or each other or the Kids without discussing it first.

We disagree on a few things but never on money. And I am glad that we made the decision to pool everything on marriage rather than making the decision based on changed or stressful circumstances etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I have a joint account with her.

All household bills are paid by direct debit and we split them 50 50.

Whatever is left is our own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We have always just operated from a single joint account.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Separate accounts and dd a set amount into a joint regular account for bills and a separate dd into a joint savings acc.

I've an account, he's an account, and there are joint current expenditure and savings accounts that we both stick a certain % of our paychecks into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I just pay all Bills and Mortgage, Herself buys the Grub, jobs oxo

21/25

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We don't spend more than €100 on ourselves or each other or the Kids without discussing it first.

That's the very type of thing I would want to avoid like the plague and where I'd see the pooling all money enivatebly leading (for many people). If I'm buying something expensive (from my own money I went out and worked for) I might mention it out of interest but there would be no discussion on it and vice versa.

*discussion meaning a debate on whether you can or cannot buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I pay for everything.

Happy wife, happy life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

It’s all combined. Wouldn’t be a marriage any other way (from my perspective). Has worked for 21 years so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I pay all the bills as well as paying for essentials like food shopping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'd do something like a joint account if I had a family, for sure. Also if someone loved me.

and if I had any money.

:(

Surely the lizard queen provides you with an extensive family?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Paid into own accounts. No joint account. Contributions to outgoings based on pay so I pay a far higher proportion of bills, outgoings and mortgage.

Just because you don't have a joint account doesn't mean you're hiding stuff and you're still pooling resources with all the money for the household, not an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

That's the very type of thing I would want to avoid like the plague and where I'd see the pooling all money enivatebly leading (for many people). If I'm buying something expensive (from my own money I went out and worked for) I might mention it out of interest but there would be no discussion on it and vice versa.

*discussion meaning a debate on whether you can or cannot buy it

*discussion meaning a debate on whether or not we could afford it based on priorities and upcoming unavoidable expenses.

We started this agreement in the Recession after I was made redundant and things were tight. My Husband's idea. We didn't have a lot of disposable income.
    We still do it now though circumstances have improved. The answer is more likely to be Yes now than previously !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Alun wrote: »

To me the thought of just having 'our' money seems weird. We have a joint account and then a separate account each.
    Neither of us wanted what our parents had. In my case my parents had a so called 'joint' account but as my mother wasn't working the money going in was from my fathers wages and she always had to account for any money that she spent. My partner's parents were worse. His mother didn't work but his father had to hand over his entire wage packet to her so that she could 'run the house' and that was the last he saw of it. I don't think the poor man ever had a penny to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No joint account. We earn roughly the same so bills are 50/50 and then our own money is our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We are not married but in a long term relationship. Living together for 4+ years.

Completely separate accounts here. I can't ever really imagine having a joint account, I know he would never be up for it anyway! I earn more than him but probably also spend more than him. We also have our own separate savings accounts.

With regards rents and bills everything comes out of my account (direct debit/standing order) and he transfers a lump sum of money into my account once a month. Could probably have a joint account for this but it works for us!

We even pay for food shopping separately! We go to the supermarket together and get a basket each and then pay for our baskets separately. Yes it's a bit odd but we have completely different diets. He eats meat, I don't. I eat a lot of food at the canteen at work, he eats more at home. He makes big meals at home, I usually make a snack for dinner.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Joint account

I earn, she spends....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Joint account family of 6 everything is paid before I can enjoy a few pints might have a 100 quid for myself a week but I usually spend it with the kids anyway, money well spent, hope they spend a few bob on me when they get older.

Advertisement