Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The effect of one day gorging on food

Options
  • 13-12-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭

I keep a steady eye on calorie intake and have done for a few years now, I've met most of my goals and am pretty much at my desired weight, but for the time being I still try to be at a deficit on most days.

But I was wondering, what if on christmas I day I declared it open season with regard to calories? What if I decided that for one day I was going to eat absolutely everything I wanted to, as much of it as I could possibly stomach and no matter how junk the food might be? Cake, Roses, Pringles, trifle, shortbread, every crappy food I can get my hands on never mind the fry in the morning or the turkey and spuds for dinner. Non stop for one day and then back to a normal deficit on boxing day.

In terms of weight what would happen to my body, is it as simple as "you had 10000 calories yesterday now you are a stone heavier", is the correlation as direct as that? Will I feel like **** but pretty quickly get back to regular weight once I'm back in the old routine?

This is just idle musing by the way, I'll probably pig out christmas but I doubt I'll go full on Homer Simpson!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i suppose it would just depend on your overall calorie levels for the week. speaking personally i would probably find myself eatin a lot less the next day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

In terms of weight what would happen to my body, is it as simple as "you had 10000 calories yesterday now you are a stone heavier", is the correlation as direct as that?!

I know it's not quite what you're asking, but 1 stone is more equivalent to about 50,000 calories.

As Bluewolf said, you're appetite would probably be somewhat suppressed for a couple of days after.

I wouldn't worry much about a single day. If you were doing a few days of mad eating then you're gonna see an impact. But if you eat normal on the days around it, maybe do some exercise on Christmas morning - walk/run whatever, then you have nothing to worry about - you won't see any significant impact of eating the guts of 10,000 cals I wouldn't say, other than feeling a bit unwell (it's tougher than you think).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Amirani wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry much about a single day. If you were doing a few days of mad eating then you're gonna see an impact. But if you eat normal on the days around it, maybe do some exercise on Christmas morning - walk/run whatever, then you have nothing to worry about - you won't see any significant impact of eating the guts of 10,000 cals I wouldn't say, other than feeling a bit unwell (it's tougher than you think).

Yeah, I was just considering the effect of one day, with normal exercise and food patterns in the days around it. The one stone and 10000 calories was just pulled from the air to illustrate, I hope I wouldn't go quite that far!

What prompted the question was thinking of previous christmas's where I would have picked away at treats and had a big lunch, but also held back from going too mad. Where I'd have a slice or two of cheesecake but no more because think of the calories and all that. So I wondered if for one day it made all that much difference whether it was one slice or three!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This post has been deleted.

Would it really be so little? The water weight is fine, that will sort itself out, but if it was only a few pounds I would certainly feel more relaxed about ignoring the calories for once and just enjoying myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Would it really be so little? The water weight is fine, that will sort itself out, but if it was only a few pounds I would certainly feel more relaxed about ignoring the calories for once and just enjoying myself.

Yeah, a pound is 3,500 calories. You'd be doing very well to eat that amount without getting sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, a pound is 3,500 calories. You'd be doing very well to eat that amount without getting sick.
    Add in a few drinks too, it wouldn't be that hard? Well I wouldn't find it that hard with my sweet tooth anyway, a few IPA's/ Christmas Strong Ales on top...

I would say don't jump on the scales St Stephens Day, as in my n=1 study it takes my body a few days after a binge to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Add in a few drinks too, it wouldn't be that hard? Well I wouldn't find it that hard with my sweet tooth anyway, a few IPA's/ Christmas Strong Ales on top...

I would say don't jump on the scales St Stephens Day, as in my n=1 study it takes my body a few days after a binge to settle.

A pint is about 200-250 calories. So to gain just 1 lb in fat from drink is about 15 drinks on top of your normal days eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There are usually a couple of XXL dumps from the Christmas gorge as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Blacktie. wrote: »
    A pint is about 200-250 calories. So to gain just 1 lb in fat from drink is about 15 drinks on top of your normal days eating.
    But Christmas day wouldn't be a normal days eating was more my point.

I'd find it easy enough to go a few thousand on food given some of the options. Of the stuff I'm looking forward to just at the dinner, not including a fry breakfast... sausage meat stuffing, roasties, garlic potatoes and then desserts such as christmas pudding and cream. Followed by an evening of snacks and drinks watching movies, so I don't personally see it that unrealistic to see a few thousand over maintenance. Zero exercise and way below normal activity as well.

I plan to eat whatever I fancy, enough other days to get back on track.

I think the real issue (if it is even an issue!) isn't Christmas day it's the run in with all the mince pies/ heroes/ roses going around (mince pie pushers in work) and drinks, and then followed by an extended binge all the way through to New Years. One day isn't going to be the half a stone....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

The problem is not what you eat on Christmas day.

Furthermore, the problem is not necessarily what you eat between Christmas and New Years, it is what you eat between New Years and the following Christmas.

Yes, if you 'do the dog' on it for a few days, you will be uncomfortable and gain. Once you resume your normal routine, things will settle back down after a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The problem is not what you eat on Christmas day.

Furthermore, the problem is not necessarily what you eat between Christmas and New Years, it is what you eat between New Years and the following Christmas.

Yes, if you 'do the dog' on it for a few days, you will be uncomfortable and gain. Once you resume your normal routine, things will settle back down after a week or two.

Study here which looked at weight gain in USA over 6 week holiday period; modest at about a 1lb, but over time it adds up.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10727591
    On overeating over a period some people are way more resistant to fat gain than others, primarily due to an increase in NEAT. Fidgeters don't get fat.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9880251

One day won't matter a ****e; I'll be closer to 10,000 cals than 5000 on Xmas day

Advertisement