Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses IN CIT ???

Options
  • 13-12-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

:o
    Hey so I'm going to college next year and I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on what the following courses are like: Business Administration,BIS,Hospitality Management,IT,IT Management????????
    Also what is CIT like? IS it a great school,good social atmosphere? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks x:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

I dont know about the others but IT and IT Management i know a bit about as i just finished up fourth year in a course that shares a lot of modules with IT management and the other CS courses. I know a few people who did BIS and say it is a good course as it is very broad but that is also a bad thing as they were getting little bits of everything instead of little bits of some and big bits of other areas they like. A lot of theory involved in some BIS modules and difficult to find jobs in some areas e.g you will be competing against soft dev grads for software developer roles.

The IT courses WERE done very well in CIT they all share a common first year so you will get a taste of databases, programming, Linux, networking etc and then you can decide where you want to go. They do still share the common first year but have made a few changes to the modules. Were, as they had a programmatic review and my course totally changed and consisted of modules i and the rest of the class had no interest in and these modules provided skills that are in little demand, so job prospects were reduced.

for the last few years from talking to the lecturers the highest paid course after graduation is IT Management in the computer science department, its a very good course with a lot of modules that teach you skills that are in demand. to put salary grads get into perspective the average CS grad was getting 38k last year and most if not all of the IT management grads were getting higher than that.

To warn you, there isnt any electives in CIT in the IT department or at least we weren't allowed do them the 4 years i attended

Social life is good in Cit but not compared to UCC, it has a great canteen and the vast majority of the lecturers are very good but like with anything there is always a few bad ones. Ill be honest i didnt go out much but talking to the rest of the class they preferred going to the UCC events

Let me know if you want to know anything else

Advertisement