Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How am I gaining?

Options
  • 13-12-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I don't know how I am gaining weight and am considering attending a GP or a dietitian/nutritionist (one of these is better I hear?). I at one point weight around 11.5stone and am 5 10. I am a keen runner and although my mileage has gone throughout the years I am still running at least twice a week (at least 12-15k a week).

What I don't get is how I am 14 stone now... on a good day I am around 13 10 but even that doesn't explain how I managed to put on two stone!! Typical food in a weekday:

1. Oatabix with low fat milk
    2. Salad for lunch - leaves, a protein (chicken pieces), and maybe beetroot. If I have dressing it's the lowest cal I can find but is store bought
    3. Dinner is always low gi - no white carbs, or very much minimal. I cook things from scratch e.g. maybe a veggie sweet potato shepherd's pie, chicken teriyaki with egg noodles, roasted veg and roasted chicken etc.
    4. For a night time snack I would have a few corn cakes with hummus or cheese.
    5. The odd time I would have a bit of chocolate here or there (maybe a little bit every day), the odd drink during the weekday(hot whiskey with lemon and no sugar).

When I'm in a restaurant I always order a low gi option or salad. I never get deserts. I would drink a fair few pints but only at weekend. I am trying to knock this on the head and only drink whiskey/vodka. I would loosen up a bit in the weekend but I wouldn't be in a chipper or down the chinese.

I don't get it. i don't eat take aways. I don't eat lunches out. I don't eat loads of red meat. I feel like I am constantly thinking about food, how I look, my current weight... I am losing it.

I am on medication and it is known to be a weight gainer but I have been on it at my lightest and since i was 24..so it must be current age (30) or pints... Eugh. Now with Christmas looming I am panicking a bit. I want to have a few treats but I don't want to come out the other end at 15 stone!!!

Do ye think I should go see someone about this or have a word with myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The only way you can put on weight is by consuming more calories than what your body needs. That can be by eating healthy food too, doesn't necessarily have to be by eating junk food and take aways. Low GI and all of that isn't bad but again it's all about CALORIES. You listed out a typical days eating above but how many calories does that all equate to?

You need to calculate your maintenance calories (google calorie calculator) and consume about 500cals less than that each day. Download myfitnesspal and log absolutely everything that goes past your lips so you can see exactly what you're taking in (including the booze).

The medication you mentioned can't just make you directly put on weight, you cannot just create energy out of nothing as this defies the laws of physics. It could be likely the medication has increased your appetite and thus, more eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Cake Man wrote: »
    The only way you can put on weight is by consuming more calories than what your body needs. That can be by eating healthy food too, doesn't necessarily have to be by eating junk food and take aways. Low GI and all of that isn't bad but again it's all about CALORIES. You listed out a typical days eating above but how many calories does that all equate to?

You need to calculate your maintenance calories (google calorie calculator) and consume about 500cals less than that each day. Download myfitnesspal and log absolutely everything that goes past your lips so you can see exactly what you're taking in (including the booze).

The medication you mentioned can't just make you directly put on weight, you cannot just create energy out of nothing as this defies the laws of physics. It could be likely the medication has increased your appetite and thus, more eating.

But what I don't get is that my body shape hasn't changed madly. I'm still fitting into my 32 jeans.. I feel like my face is chubbier which is making me very down. I dunno... could that be the running?

The medication I take can cause weight gain (something to do with hormones - I'm guessing you're not a doc but he said it would creep up but not necessarily be down to the calorie intake).

Good tip on the MFP and I will try it but it is a bit tedious isn't it? I dunno. Maybe I will try slimming world?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Your question is how are you gaining. track your calories, weigh and measure, see what happens for a couple of weeks, you'll have your answer. it's free and takes very little time once you get into the habit.
    log every single one of those pints - i imagine you'll find out a lot from that

you start off one sentence about chocolate with 'the odd time' then finish it by realising it's not the odd time, it's every day. it's things like that that will creep up on you. low fat milk means nothing if you're eating 20 oatabix. healthy veg means nothing calorie wise if you're eating 1000 calories of meat dripping in fat.

if you're willing to go to a dietitian over this, there's no point quibbling over 'tracking calories is a bit tedious'. you'll pay the dietitian money to do exactly the same thing. can't be done for you i'm afraid. and once you do start, it will start giving you more information which you can use about making your future food choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

bluewolf wrote:
    track your calories, weigh and measure

This, it's the hidden cals that do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Whats your BMI? To me from your height and weight your in range of normal.

A calorie is a calorie, regardless if it's good or empty (beer), you need to match whats going in with whats going out. If it's out of sync you'll gain or lose weight.

Watch portion size, I love when people automatically assume salads and good foods are fine, they are not. Look at the cals in them. Enjoy your beers, but watch the cal count.

Running is fine, but try more practical things to exercise, like transport if you can walk then walk etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

never_mind wrote: »
    Good tip on the MFP and I will try it but it is a bit tedious isn't it? I dunno. Maybe I will try slimming world?

Slimming World amounts to the same thing except they track syns instead of calories.

There is no easy answer...no handy solution that will do what you want to achieve. You'll need to make a bit of effort whichever route you go down but they will all amount to controlling calories and in order to do that, you will need some understanding of what you're eating and drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭Macy0161

"A pint" could be between 180 - 240 calories each. From what I've read (calories and beer two pet subjects of mine), the body won't necessarily use or store all the calories from beer (lots of factors come in to play, such as pace, alcohol content), but I track them all the same, but I am more concerned with the poor food choices I make after pints tbh!

Apart from that, even "healthy" options need portion control.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Nah at 14stone my BMI would be high enough. I know that my medication has some effect on hormones and lipids and that weight gain is its main side effect. I was at one point gaunt looking and in a way I am happier to be above 12 stone but god..

I might try slimming world but feel like a weirdo going in as a man. Any advice there? Low GI doesn't seem to be doing it for me really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Hi all

I don't know how I am gaining weight and am considering attending a GP or a dietitian/nutritionist (one of these is better I hear?). I at one point weight around 11.5stone and am 5 10. I am a keen runner and although my mileage has gone throughout the years I am still running at least twice a week (at least 12-15k a week).

What I don't get is how I am 14 stone now... on a good day I am around 13 10 but even that doesn't explain how I managed to put on two stone!! Typical food in a weekday:

1. Oatabix with low fat milk
    2. Salad for lunch - leaves, a protein (chicken pieces), and maybe beetroot. If I have dressing it's the lowest cal I can find but is store bought
    3. Dinner is always low gi - no white carbs, or very much minimal. I cook things from scratch e.g. maybe a veggie sweet potato shepherd's pie, chicken teriyaki with egg noodles, roasted veg and roasted chicken etc.
    4. For a night time snack I would have a few corn cakes with hummus or cheese.
    5. The odd time I would have a bit of chocolate here or there (maybe a little bit every day), the odd drink during the weekday(hot whiskey with lemon and no sugar).

When I'm in a restaurant I always order a low gi option or salad. I never get deserts. I would drink a fair few pints but only at weekend. I am trying to knock this on the head and only drink whiskey/vodka. I would loosen up a bit in the weekend but I wouldn't be in a chipper or down the chinese.

I don't get it. i don't eat take aways. I don't eat lunches out. I don't eat loads of red meat. I feel like I am constantly thinking about food, how I look, my current weight... I am losing it.

I am on medication and it is known to be a weight gainer but I have been on it at my lightest and since i was 24..so it must be current age (30) or pints... Eugh. Now with Christmas looming I am panicking a bit. I want to have a few treats but I don't want to come out the other end at 15 stone!!!

Do ye think I should go see someone about this or have a word with myself?

A recurring theme in your post is that you seem frustrated that your weight is on the up despite not doing things like indulging in takeaways. Noone will every loose weight for the things they don't do. It's what you are doing thats contributing to your weight gain. Unfortunately one doesn't gets credit for the things one doesn't do. Look at it this way, it is perfectly possible to put on weight by eating the healthiest foods going. All you have to do is eat too much of it.

You want to loose weight but you admit you eat chocolate occasionally and drink beer. Do you really think it's possible to loose weight whilst engaging in those activities.

You also place an emphasis on low GI foods. These foods still contain calories so the advantage of eating low GI foods is not as beneficial as you think in terms of weight loss.

Can you honestly say you eat on a daily basis 500 calories below your TTDE. If you can't then how can you be exasperated that your gaining weight.

I have been on anit-depressants a few years ago. My doc told me I may put on weight. I did the complete opposite much to his surprise. Don't use the pills as an excuse. If you get the daily calories right consistently you'll do it. It takes a concerted effort but if you want it it's totally doable. It won't happen overnight - you get the plan right and then stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I am losing it.

I am on medication and it is known to be a weight gainer but I have been on it at my lightest and since i was 24..

How's your sleep and mental health?

• Advertisement
Advertisement