Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robots being used to get rid of Homeless people

Options
  • 13-12-2017 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Long story short, a group in San Francisco are using "K9" robots to patrol at night and "discourage" homeless people setting up around their premises.

Got the attention of the authorities, but just........where do you begin with this sh*t if it gets more and more common?

article here https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/12/08/security-robot-homeless-spca-mission-san-francisco.html

I think I'd destroy one of them if I saw them around Dublin, just on sheer principle alone!

The future just gets bleaker and bleaker, the ads shinier and shinier for technology. And don't forget that security guards are out of a job too, the cherry on top.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'd say T1000 would be better at this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Fridge magnet will sort them out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

They need something with more presence....

Screenshot3.png

Bloody homeless. Have they no homes to go to.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If the large one was yellow and blue, it would look like a minion...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cylon_Centurion_03.jpg

All of this has happened before and will happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

but surely we're gonna need em for the homeless robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Given San Francisco's homeless problem (which is frightening), homeless robots would not surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The inventor has a heart of pure sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Looks like a Hoover stood upright.

How long before a hobo looks for the suction hole to put his doo dah in for some free fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

diomed wrote: »
    The inventor has a heart of pure sh1t.

The inventor probably did not envisage his creation being used for this purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't see any big deal with them ,by all accounts they have helped make areas more safe for everyone ,
    But that's not going to stop anyone getting the wrong end of the stick and getting all faux raged

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When the robots start getting vandalized, the lunatics who run US politics will decide that these robots have a 'right to self defense' and that's then end of the anthroprocene

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

And don't forget that security guards are out of a job too, the cherry on top.

Those robots don't make and program themselves....

If people all thought to avoid innovation because it might cost someone their job, we'd still be riding around on horseback and reading by candlelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just push it over on to it's side robot wars style. Would be like a turtle on it's back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

There's a massive divide between rich and poor in USA, it only appears to be getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Long story short, a group in San Francisco are using "K9" robots to patrol at night and "discourage" homeless people setting up around their premises.

Got the attention of the authorities, but just........where do you begin with this sh*t if it gets more and more common?

article here https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/12/08/security-robot-homeless-spca-mission-san-francisco.html

I think I'd destroy one of them if I saw them around Dublin, just on sheer principle alone!

The future just gets bleaker and bleaker, the ads shinier and shinier for technology. And don't forget that security guards are out of a job too, the cherry on top.

You’d be ok with a group of homeless sleeping outside your house? Leaving needles, breaking into cars in the area??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

You’d be ok with a group of homeless sleeping outside your house? Leaving needles, breaking into cars in the area??

I'd be OK with adequate community policing and people in government who's soloution to homlesness wasn't 'redefining the meaning of the word 'crisis', or using robots to move them on.

How much do these things cost?
    Truly this is the type of 'solutions' you can come to expect from the San Fran tech elites, so high up in their ivory towers that they probably imagine that this is the apothiosis a clever high-tech solution to a problem.
    Even better, it's a solution that showcases just how clever they are, rather then the amoral outsourcing to robots, the dirty job of clearing the poor from their Potempkin Villages on the bay and thus ensuring their morning run to Starbucks for a half-caff soy latte is not blighted by the sight of poor people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

conorhal wrote: »
    I'd be OK with adequate community policing and people in government who's soloution to homlesness wasn't 'redefining the meaning of the word 'crisis', or using robots to move them on.

How much do these things cost?
    Truly this is the type of 'solutions' you can come to expect from the San Fran tech elites, so high up in their ivory towers that they probably imagine this the apothiosis a clever high-tech solution to a problem, one that showcases their genius, rather then the amoral, grubby abdication of morality that outsources to robots the dirty job of clearing the poor from their Potempkin Villages on the bay and thus ensuring their morning run to Starbucks for a half-caff soy latte is not blighted by the sight of poor people.

While I thanked your post I have to admit to the guilty thought that I wonder if they can produce a robot for Ireland that is big enough to move on caravans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The cost of one of these robots would be enough to establish some sort of emergency dwelling for homeless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

conorhal wrote: »
    Truly this is the type of 'solutions' you can come to expect from the San Fran tech elites, so high up in their ivory towers that they probably imagine that this is the apothiosis a clever high-tech solution to a problem.
    Even better, it's a solution that showcases just how clever they are, rather then the amoral outsourcing to robots, the dirty job of clearing the poor from their Potempkin Villages on the bay and thus ensuring their morning run to Starbucks for a half-caff soy latte is not blighted by the sight of poor people.

You realise the article in the OP says this robot was patrolling around the SPCA adoption centre, right?

How very elite. Your chip could probably be seen from space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The cost of one of these robots would be enough to establish some sort of emergency dwelling for homeless people.

True. But it's probably not the plan to have 1:1 robot to hobo ratio.

I'm not really feeling the outrage I have to say - what exactly is the difference between this and a security man moving them on.

If you're homeless, that's terrible for you, I sympathise, but just because it's tough on you doesn't mean you're sleeping on my doorstep. Life is a bitch sometimes, now fúck off and be homeless somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Or they could use a lightsaber to cut open the robots belly and live inside it's warm electrically heated insides during the cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There's a massive divide between rich and poor in USA, it only appears to be getting worse.

Code for Communism

True. But it's probably not the plan to have 1:1 robot to hobo ratio.

I'm not really feeling the outrage I have to say - what exactly is the difference between this and a security man moving them on.

If you're homeless, that's terrible for you, I sympathise, but just because it's tough on you doesn't mean you're sleeping on my doorstep. Life is a bitch sometimes, now fúck off and be homeless somewhere else.

My point is that they could go and be homeless in the shelter the authorities could provide with the money they decided to spend on a robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Makes me wonder how long it will be before they put advertising on these robots, which also make me think they would be potential targets for tagging and graffiti artists?

My point is that they could go and be homeless in the shelter the authorities could provide with the money they decided to spend on a robot.

That would certainly solve all the problems associated with being homeless in fact id say twould end homelessness overnight

In the meantime, while they're building this panacea shelter, robots

That would certainly solve all the problems associated with being homeless in fact id say twould end homelessness overnight

In the meantime, while they're building this panacea shelter, robots

You mean use robots to build the shelter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

CruelCoin wrote: »
    You realise the article in the OP says this robot was patrolling around the SPCA adoption centre, right?

How very elite. Your chip could probably be seen from space.

I think you misunderstand my position. The issue is an ethical one.
    The homless problem is a product of a series of failures and abdications of responsibility all down the chain, including those causing anti-social problems on the streets.
    Beware those who think that dealing with the problem is best done by robot street sweepers, sweeping actual people off the streets. They're the real problem. They aren't demanding any hard choices at any level, not at a governmental level to address homlesness and it's causes, not at a policing level, which would be mean and costly and not at a human level because they would actively replace them and give automotons with AI the authority over human beings.
    It's like The trolley dilemma, could you push one man in front of a tram to stop it crashing into 5? If you couldn't, could you pull a lever to send the tram into one person and away from 5 people?
    The automation of community policing is the lever. Which is in effect the subversion of empathy. If automated street sweepers of humans are moving on the problem we don't have to feel responsible for it or fix it or even face it. The problem has been automated away out of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

• Advertisement

Malayalam wrote: »

In a way, I'm looking forward to checking out of here.

Advertisement