Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'FREE' HOUSE FOR CHRISTMAS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a lease via a co-op, hardly a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

28 council houses in one estate... well that will end well.

I know its not PC to say that but the people alongside them who got a mortgage for their houses is who i feel sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tefral wrote:

That shouldn't be allowed to become an issue. The real problem is they're considered forever homes and there are no consequences for anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There's a catch

You have to spend the rest of your life in Sixmilebridge Co Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tefral wrote: »

I know its not PC to say that but the people alongside them who got a mortgage for their houses is who i feel sorry for.

Do you think everyone who rents that type of housing is an anti social degenerate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Look at the solar panels.....if only I could afford solar panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There's a catch

Could be worse, could be Threemilehouse.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

That shouldn't be allowed to become an issue. The real problem is they're considered forever homes and there are no consequences for anti social behaviour.

I'd like to think they'll be vetting tenants beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Could be worse, could be Threemilehouse.

or Twopothouse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

or Twopothouse

The old one or the new one?

• Advertisement

I'd like to think they'll be vetting tenants beforehand.

You can't vet their offspring.

Who knows if little Johnnie now at 2 isn't going to be a scumbag later in life.

It may be controversial, but these type of estates usually have a higher level of anti-social behaviour than ones where everyone has bought their own homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Everyone: "We need more social housing for the homeless...just not in my neighbourhood/town/county/country etc."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

Everyone: "We need more social housing for the homeless...just not in my neighbourhood/town/county/country etc."

We need affordable housing... Rising our social welfare bill is completely unsustainable.

NIMAN wrote: »

It may be controversial, but these type of estates usually have a higher level of anti-social behaviour than ones where everyone has bought their own homes.

I've lived beside one of these estates for 10 years, never had an issue. Most of the residents are working people, its not scumbag central.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There's a catch

That's where they filmed mad max wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That's where they filmed mad max wasn't it?

That was just Davy Fitz going off on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

There's a catch

Theres a train station out of the place very close to that estate so its not the worst. An the airport is only a few miles away..

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've lived beside one of these estates for 10 years, never had an issue. Most of the residents are working people, its not scumbag central.

Maybe you got lucky.....but there are plenty of scumbags around.

Or maybe my knowledge of Derry is skewing my opinion?

Maybe you got lucky.....but there are plenty of scumbags around.

Or maybe my knowledge of Derry is skewing my opinion?

Maybe it is. I don't think the estate beside me is an anomaly, there are a few of these estates in my area and there seems to be relatively few problems. I live on a council estate myself, I'm used to being written off as a skanger because of where I live and for no reason than lazy stereotyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We need affordable housing... Rising our social welfare bill is completely unsustainable.
    100% this. We need to make it easier for ordinary people to afford a home (rent or buy) not for the tax payer to fund forever homes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

When I saw the thread title I imagined an invitation to an orgy or at least a story about same.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was hoping the op made a typo and put an f instead of a t at the start.

That would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

eviltwin wrote:
    Do you think everyone who rents that type of housing is an anti social degenerate?

Of course not all of them but the bad outweigh the good. There is a reason why the vast majority of council estates have bad names.

My 5 yr old is in bed by 8pm. The kids in these estates seem to have no routine or bedtime.......young kids crave routine. They seem to be allowed roam free as the parents are too busy

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Of course not all of them but the bad outweigh the good. There is a reason why the vast majority of council estates have bad names.

My 5 yr old is in bed by 8pm. The kids in these estates seem to have no routine or bedtime.......young kids crave routine. They seem to be allowed roam free as the parents are too busy

That's as maybe but this isn't a council estate, it's cooperative housing, a totally different animal.

And I live on a council estate as do my children, they aren't automatically feral because of where they happen to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Tefral wrote: »

What a load of tosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Eh social housing has nothing to do with social welfare. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Happy for that family. Stating the obvious but its as simple as this-
    Housing should be affordable for all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's as maybe but this isn't a council estate, it's cooperative housing, a totally different animal. .

Not different at all.

It's just social housing with an non-profit company which thinks of itself as a co-operative as landlord instead of the council. All tenants have to come from the regular housing list.

The estate will likely get some who have had problems with the council in the past, and promised to behave better in future if they're allocated somewhere else as a fresh start.

As regards vetting, all it really does is make sure that the guards don't think it's a bad idea to put the people into the estate. It's not legal for the council to refuse housing to someone who's in need of it, just because they have a criminal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That's as maybe but this isn't a council estate, it's cooperative housing, a totally different animal. .

Not different at all.

It's just social housing with an non-profit company which thinks of itself as a co-operative as landlord instead of the council. All tenants have to come from the regular housing list.

The estate will likely get some who have had problems with the council in the past, and promised to behave better in future if they're allocated somewhere else as a fresh start.

As regards vetting, all it really does is make sure that the guards don't think it's a bad idea to put the people into the estate. It's not legal for the council to refuse housing to someone who's in need of it, just because they have a criminal record.

I thought the estate management checks are quite strict nowadays.. with no recent convictions and no serious ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If everyone thought like this, no one would ever buy a house anywhere.

Advertisement