Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Autecher wrote: »
    Gunni v Thiago Alves in Copenhagen on September 28. A bit out of the blue but always good to see Gunnar fight.

https://twitter.com/ufceurope/status/1143896762815582210?s=21

The most overrated fighter on boards is about to get retired

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The most overrated fighter on boards is about to get retired

Harsh! What has Thiago ever done to you?

I didn't mean retired as in injured either. Can't see Gunar fighting on if he loses this one

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I didn't mean retired as in injured either. Can't see Gunar fighting on if he loses this one

Still think he'd do well at 155. Clearly outsized in last fight, though tactically looked suspect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gunnar just not that good ,
    People forget when Gunnar was training in Dublin back 7 to 8 year ago he was probably the best grappler in the country but that was just because everyone else was so far behind and we had zero great wrestler's so he was overly hyped ,

I'd say he would struggle to get 50% of todays UFC Welter weights to the ground to begin with now,
    I feel he missed his window to be a success ,He should have always been a light weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

People forget when Gunnar was training in Dublin back 7 to 8 year ago he was probably the best grappler in the country but that was just because everyone else was so far behind and we had zero great wrestler's so he was overly hyped ,

I'd say he would struggle to get 50% of todays UFC Welter weights to the ground to begin with now,
    I feel he missed his window to be a success ,He should have always been a light weight

Gunnar was competing at world class level 7-8 years ago, not just against Irish guys. But I do agree with the weight class. I’ve always said he should be a lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That's cos he won't cut weight, so is basically fighting in a weight class above.
    Most of the welterweights are a lot bigger than him.
    If everyone did that, he'd be up against most of the lightweight division instead.

Gunnar was legimitely a very promising grappler, prodigy might be an exaggeration but he wasn't far off it.

However he was very much a product of his environment. He was travelling around the world, seeking out people to train with, regularly entering tournaments. I think he was pretty much living at Renzo's gym at one point in time, doing nothing but eat sleep and train. He lived in Hawaii for a time also.

He stopped living that kind of life as he got older. Coming back to SBG and Mjolnir after that type of training would be a huge step down, nobody to challenge or push him. Kavanagh is a massive step down from Renzo and Danaher ... and having said that, Gunnar doesn't even spend much time with Kavanagh any more. They pretty much hook up towards the end of a camp for final prep and cornering. He's coached by his dad most of the year and just talks to JK on the phone.

The weird thing is that I don't thing he has ever trained with Dillon Danis either. You would think that it would be an opportunity to measure himself against a more up-to-date practitioner but from what I can see they have avoided one another.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That's cos he won't cut weight, so is basically fighting in a weight class above.
    Most of the welterweights are a lot bigger than him.
    If everyone did that, he'd be up against most of the lightweight division instead.

But guess what they don't , so he has no one but himself to blame for not reaching the height he could have ,

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Gunnar was competing at world class level 7-8 years ago, not just against Irish guys. But I do agree with the weight class. I’ve always said he should be a lightweight.

I realise that he grappled all over the world and won ,

I was talking in term's of MMA training in Ireland and Iceland he was out grappling guys and using that as his style but he was not getting the resistance on take downs he needed,

Different world when your a top class grappler but with average take downs and all of a sudden you come up against top wrestlers and can't use your game ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

I'm picking JDS to take the W tonight. He is far too experienced to get caught by Francis. JDS is possibly the best boxer in UFC heavyweight history and I think he will out box Francis and get a TKO in round 3 or 4. Then again....if Francis catches him its game over. Could be a great scrap or a borefest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads if you are discussing the event tonight setup a thread and do so there. I don’t want to see spoilers in a repeat of last week. It should be common sense at this stage to just setup a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Hey all.

Did i see it correctly on BT sports, UFC 239 is PPV? SO i pay for Eir Sports every month for UFC coverage, but now i have to add a PPV to that on Box Office? Would I be better off cancelling my Eir subscription and buying it online instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Gheadphone wrote: »
    Hey all.

Did i see it correctly on BT sports, UFC 239 is PPV? SO i pay for Eir Sports every month for UFC coverage, but now i have to add a PPV to that on Box Office? Would I be better off cancelling my Eir subscription and buying it online instead?

BT are leaving Eir and going to Sky from August 1st so I’d cancel Eir straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Gheadphone wrote: »
    Hey all.

May as well cancel eir sub anyway as BT is moving to Sky and being removed from the eir bundle from 1st August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I canceled my eir sports recently because of this.

In a completely unrelated event i recently got an eye patch a peg leg and a parrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

spent the last 20 minutes on hold to Eir sport, guessing there's a few of us going down the cancellation route!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

There will be an add on available for eir customers, no info on it yet, but it's still going to be available. Probably not as expensive as adding on Sky sports but it's becoming harder to justify sticking with eir any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

anyone know if btsport is leaving vodafone? its a stand alone add on for vodafone

Didn't realise Nunes v Holm was at 135.

Will Nunes be the first ever to defend first belt after winning a 2nd? A proper Champ Champ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Cornier defended heavyweight belt against Lewis after winning it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Cornier defended heavyweight belt against Lewis after winning it.

He won the LHW belt first though, Ultimate Seduction is talking about a person defending their first belt after winning their second.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Me no read good.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Not too happy about this weeks UFC being PPV. I pay enough already and have already bought a boxing PPV this year and plan to buy another next month.

Won't be buying this and hope nobody else does either as it will send a message to BT Sport that its not worth the media coverage to promote a PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see Conor and Brocks name being thrown around. Surely if it was anyone that big, UFC will be marketing the **** out of it instead of just some clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Does anyone even want to see Brock fight again? His last fight was garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I see Conor and Brocks name being thrown around. Surely if it was anyone that big, UFC will be marketing the **** out of it instead of just some clickbait.

It's a press conference, the bigger the surprise, the more media attention it gets after the fact.

They don't give a **** how many idiots watch it live, the entire purpose is so media outlets talk about the announcementa afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Still Ill wrote: »
    Does anyone even want to see Brock fight again? His last fight was garbage.

If he fights again it will probably be the biggest selling event outside of any McGregor/Rousey/Jones one in the last 5 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement