Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Yoel Romero won his court case against a supplement company for having tainted goods which lead to his 2015 6 month suspension. The company never responded to his claim or attended the court.

Yoel was awarded $27.45 million but his manager reckons he will he will end up with around $5 million. Full story below.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/26841517/romero-wins-judgment-tainted-supplement-suit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads, I moved some posts from Off Topic to here regarding Yoel as there are two conversations on it going on - Off topic is for non-MMA related stuff so it's fine posting about Yoel here, its MMA news.

latifi out of co main event in stockholm

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1134205396640567305

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Really early card today for anyone who might have forgot. Prelims are half way done, main card starts at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Poor sleeping beauty will be sleeping till Monday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Monday

You'll need to spoiler that man or you'll get done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

You'll need to spoiler that man or you'll get done!

you need to spoil my spoiler

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

you need to spoil my spoiler

Whoops, forgot that

was it me or was the commentary not great at ufc sweden?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I cancelled my BT subscription around Xmas. At the time ufc was moving from BT. Have they moved yet, and if so, where to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I cancelled my BT subscription around Xmas. At the time ufc was moving from BT. Have they moved yet, and if so, where to?

Still with BT mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ASOT wrote: »
    Still with BT mate.

For how long? Was the contract renewed?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    For how long? Was the contract renewed?

For the foreseeable future anyway. Eleven Sports lost the rights they originally won because they didn't organize a tv provider to show the channel so it went back to BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jimmy Manuwa retires. Right decision.

Khabib v DP official for Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,490 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »
    Khabib v DP official for Abu Dhabi.

Bet the house on Dustin, calling it now lads. Not me personally as I'm not a gambling man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,830 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Bet the house on Dustin, calling it now lads. Not me personally as I'm not a gambling man :)

khabib now better than 4/11/ poirier 13/5

why are you confident if you don't mind me asking?

I want you to be right as dp wearing that belt would be one of
    the best moments in mma

mailburner wrote: »
    khabib now better than 4/11/ poirier 13/5

why are you confident if you don't mind me asking?

I want you to be right as dp wearing that belt would be one of
    the best moments in mma

Gut feeling*

Some big upsets in combat sports this year and I think this could be another one. I can see him weathering the storm a couple of early rounds and getting comfortable with the TDD to crack Khabib with some big shots. I would absolutely love to see Dustin wear that belt too.

*My gut feeling is the reason I stopped betting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,830 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Gut feeling*

Some big upsets in combat sports this year and I think this could be another one. I can see him weathering the storm a couple of early rounds and getting comfortable with the TDD to crack Khabib with some big shots. I would absolutely love to see Dustin wear that belt too.

*My gut feeling is the reason I stopped betting :)

That's reason enough for me, gut tells me the odds are well wrong
    on this one also.
    Poiriers stand up is amongst the most improved in mma, khabib
    won't want too much of it imo.

• Advertisement

Plus he's such a hungry fighter and won't give up easy. I know odds are Khabib will smother him for 5 rounds and Dustin won't have the answer but people are writing him off way too easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Plus he's such a hungry fighter and won't give up easy. I know odds are Khabib will smother him for 5 rounds and Dustin won't have the answer but people are writing him off way too easily.

I feel the manner in which Khabib shut down Mcgregor is colouring peoples perceptions of this fight. Poirier is much more used to fighting through adversity and not having things all his own way in fights whereas Mcgregor, through no fault of his own, is more of a front runner. I feel that even if Khabib does ground him early and often, Poirier will still be there in the later rounds threatening, and his stand-up is more than good enough to cause Khabib problems if he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Nice one. Khabib is a machine at grappling so my money would always be on him but excited at the prospect of someone having an answer to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I hope Dustin can give him trouble, but I'm not sure he'll be able to.

I only see Tony beating him reliably, he has the stamina to keep with him, great on the ground, off his back etc.
    Khabib has about 3 rounds of his pace in him, you see him slowing down after that. Tony will go full pelt for all 5 and still be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,046 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I only see Tony beating him reliably, he has the stamina to keep with him, great on the ground, off his back etc.

I see Khabib grappling style as being kryptonite for Tony's.
    I can't imagine Eddie Bravo shouting crackhead, chill dawg, dead orchard through the fence will help him either. But you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »
    I see Khabib grappling style as being kryptonite for Tony's.
    I can't imagine Eddie Bravo shouting crackhead, chill dawg, dead orchard through the fence will help him either. But you never know

I reckon Justin Gaethje is the one fighter who can upset Khabib,
    He is a division 1 all American and has a gas tank ,

But they have the same manger so I reckon he will be kept away form him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I reckon Justin Gaethje is the one fighter who can upset Khabib,
    He is a division 1 all American and has a gas tank ,

But they have the same manger so I reckon he will be kept away form him

He was an all-American 10 years ago. How many times have you seen him wrestle since?

Sinead Kavanaghs fighting Leslie Smith in July at bellator, big step up for her

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He was an all-American 10 years ago. How many times have you seen him wrestle since?

None because of the way he fights,

Who have you seen take him down when he hasn't been rocked ? ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

None because of the way he fights,

Who have you seen take him down when he hasn't been rocked ? ,

That's my point. The arguement "he might be able to hang with khabib's wrestling because he was a D1 all American" holds very little weight ten years down the road when he's never shown that level of grappling in a cage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement