Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A great (cheap) time to be gaming!

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I firmly believe in cents on the hour. Always have, always will. €20 for a 70-minute game is ridiculous to me.

Surely quality is a better measurement of value for money?

Mickeroo wrote: »

In many cases these indie games aren't worth the money they're charging - quality or quantity wise.

This is something I suspect I'll never change my mind about. Gone Home is 2 hours long. On release they were charging between €20 - €30. That's ludicrous money. Pretty certain I either got it in a Humble Bundle or else for €10 - €15 on sale and, while it was mildly entertaining, I was delighted at not forking out full price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yeah, I'd always try to be as canny as I can possibly be when buying games but I don't think I could ever be as reductive as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

When it comes to value for money, is 1 hour of a what the consumer feels is a good game better than 10 hours of an ok game? Or 100 hours of a meh game better than that? Or 10 minutes of an amazing game beter than all of those? And how much of that is from replaying? What really is the 'length' of a game? Single player campaign story from start to credits? How long does it take to complete something like FTL: Faster Than Light, something that's designed to be played over and over? Do you have to purposely play it slow to get the real value of the game?

In the end there's too many variables to consider. It's up the the consumer to decide on their own. I personally typically avoid narrative-focused games that are short if they're around the €20 or more mark. If I wanted a good story telling experience in a short time like that I'd buy a blu ray or something.

That said video games are one of the cheapest hobbies out there which is nice. For 2017 I spent about €200 and got:
    • Dying Light
    • Arma Cold War Assault
    • Neverwinter Nights 2
    • Swat 4
    • Vanquish
    • Tekken 7
    • Bayonetta
    • Hitman1-3, BM, 2016
    • Hyperdimension Neptunia 3 pack
    • Cliver Barker's Undying
    And entry to a tournament

That's not counting all the games that are free. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It was placed 4th on launch week beaten only by Mario Odyssey, Fifa & Assassins Creed and that's only physical. Bethesda haven't released any official digital figures.
    It sold 110,000 digital sales in it's first three days according to Steam on PC alone.

That's fairly Strong for a Single Player only FPS

Sales on games are way down at the moment so it probably under performed and Bethesda over produced.

I think total game sales are up but the issue is there's a lot of games vying for attention and while it sold well I think Bethesda expected it to do better especially after the surprise success of the original and good word of mouth. I doubt the game wasn't profitable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Yeah, I'd always try to be as canny as I can possibly be when buying games but I don't think I could ever be as reductive as that.

Personally if I buy a game at launch for €60 I expect to playing 60 hours of that game or more over time. Maybe that's wrong but it's helped me chose games more wisely.

Some people don't mind picking up games at launch to sit in a backlog. I used to do this and by the time I got to the game (if I ever did) it had reduced in price by €10 or €20 or whatever or bottomed out in a sale for **** all.

So these days I'll wait and pick that 20 hour story game when it's €20. Just me.

I get what you're saying but in a day in age where sales are so regular and so generous I really don't see the point in picking up a game at launch unless you intend on playing it day one as your soooooo rediculously overhyped to play it or you know you'll be playing it loads.

Let's be fair about it we all have a backlog to pick through until the new game falls in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I bought NieR:Automata for €60, 95% complete in 40hrs.
    Game had technical issues.
    Still consider it the most amazing game I've played this generation.

Bought Mass Effect Andromeda for ~€65, 99% complete in 100hrs.
    Still consider it the most disappointing game I've ever played.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

How could you put 100 hours into a game you consider most disappointing you've ever played? That seems like being a glutton for punishment.

How could you put 100 hours into a game you consider most disappointing you've ever played? That seems like being a glutton for punishment.

As the game kept dragging on, I eventually realised Andromeda was the game to kill the franchise, so I became determined to do a full playthrough, with every side quest, just to see if there was any semblance of greatness hidden in the muck.
    The final mission was decent at least.

I'm just sad we will never see the Quarians again. And that none of my choices in Andromeda will matter in the end :pac:

As the game kept dragging on, I eventually realised Andromeda was the game to kill the franchise, so I became determined to do a full playthrough, with every side quest, just to see if there was any semblance of greatness hidden in the muck.
    The final mission was decent at least.

I'm just sad we will never see the Quarians again. And that none of my choices in Andromeda will matter in the end :pac:

What does the last 1% not yet done entail and are you going to try and get that full 100%.

I picked this up for a tenner from Gamestop during the Black Friday sale out of morbid curiosity.

• Advertisement

What does the last 1% not yet done entail and are you going to try and get that full 100%.

I picked this up for a tenner from Gamestop during the Black Friday sale out of morbid curiosity.

One of the missions on the first planet glitched out & I could never get back to complete it :mad::pac:
    I'm never going back to it tbh

100 hours into ME:A? My God, man. What kind of monster are you?! :pac:

I played it for maybe about 10 hours and stopped. Couldn't be arsed revisiting it. It's a pity, because I sank probably about 400 hours into the previous 3 games through my initial runthroughs and multiple replays to get different outcomes.

ME:A is probably the perfect example of the publisher getting antsy with the studio and pushing out a game that was months away from being ready.

Advertisement