Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest job you've had?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

First year apprentice in Baldonnell air base.
    Even the mice were suicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Barback in a crazy busy bar that had a very busy nightclub (most times) attached to it. Worked from evening til 4 or 5 in the morning. Asked to do stupid s**t like stock take at that time (we never did). Attended to 3-4 bars. Included running up and down stairs through drunk people. No appreciation from anyone. I lasted 5 months and have had friends who have been in there for a similar time. Not one good word from them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Tzardine wrote: »
    I worked in Iraq as a contractor from 2006-2008. In many ways it was the best job I ever had, but by god the hours were long.

I worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 9 weeks straight. Then you got three weeks off. It was mentally exhausting.

Its funny, now I am back home, I work 7 days on, 7 days off, just 11 hours a day. Some of the guys I work with complain that the 7 day stint is too long. :rolleyes:

wouldn't that be very risky too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Has anyone posted the hardest job in the world bloke from the fast show yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Banks are notorious for This as they are closing branches of left right and centre.
    Call centres run all the major banks day to days working.

Yep rang my AIB branch in Tipp one day, dialed the 06 number

Was surprised to find out despite dialing a Tipp number I was put through to a call centre in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

wouldn't that be very risky too?

Yes very much so, but its scary how quickly everything just becomes the norm and how you become nonchalant about things.

For example, you would be in bed and there would be rockets and mortars coming into the compound. Sometimes you just wouldn't get up and go to the bunkers because it was cold outside.

Another time the helicopters were grounded due to a sand storm. I was due to fly home for Christmas. I ended up taking a 7 hour road journey in the back of a Burger King trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Still work for the same company now but in a different role. In my old role I worked on Industrial weighing scales. Straightforward enough most days but my god I had some brutal days. Servicing and Calibrating a 30 Tonne weighbridge on my first day was a little stressful. But the worst days were the one with the meat plant scales. Having to clean rotten and frozen guts from under a pit while the polish lads are flinging off cuts of meat at you on the sly were pretty miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm in my 20th year working in IT, specifically "client support" or "desktop services". Basically its like being a kindergarten teacher. I dont know how I haven't lost my tongue I've bitten it that many times :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Child care ,

Single hardest job I've done and strangely the most rewarding.

Minding a neice or nephew just can't be compared to taking 15 kids many with extra needs on a daily basis ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

Hospital laundry the worst, and I've done some bad enough jobs.
    Funnily the best ever was porter in the same hospital.
    I'd be considered successful and relatively wealthy I suppose these days, but the hospital porter job was my favourite by a mile. I loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I worked 12 hour shifts in a large Irish bar and restaurant right on the short of Long Island on my J1.
    The place would easily get north of 500 people on a weekend all in for their dinner, then drink and clubbing.

My job on the busy times would be running large platters of food from the kitchen to the restaurant. Now, there was a large function room in between, that would get turned into a nightclub dancefloor around 9pm. However, the restaurant didn't stop serving till 11.

So every weekend, in 40 degree, humid NY heat, I'd get loaded up like a donkey with a platter of food, and bring it through a nightclub full of drunk, sweaty Americans, to the restaurant beyond, then drop the platter on a trolley and make my way back to the kitchen.
    Rinse and repeat until the restaurant closed.

Absolutely awful work, whoever designed that place deserves to be shot.
    inforfun wrote: »
    Not so much a job as i didnt have a choice, since i have a penis, but my 14 months in the Dutch army were kind of hard.
    Did like the shooting range though
    I got talking to a German guy who did his year's service. He said people would shoot themselves in the foot to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm from Tramore and we all had summer jobs growing up there.

Worked in a shop at 13. That was grand.

Spent two summers as a cleaner in a caravan park. That was actually fine, we kept the park very clean so rarely had bad jobs. Occasionally someone would sh1t in the shower or something, but by and large that job was fine.

Spent a summer working in a chipper. 8 hours in front of a hot grill, queues out the door so under constant pressure to keep pumping out burgers. But it was fine. You'd be covered in grease and sweat at the end of the day, stinking and exhausted, but the days flew by. I know some people weren't able for it, but I found it grand.

Spent three years doing bar work - two in a pub that did food and one in a hotel. The quiet days were a bit painful, just standing for 8 hours until you could close up. The busier the better really, days like stephens day you'd be flat out for the few hours and then you'd be done before you'd know it and sleep like a baby. The day times in the pub were tough as you could be up and down stairs all day collecting food, but again the physical stuff is fine by me.

Working as an accountant now and it's by far the hardest of the lot. Constant deadlines, requests coming at you from everywhere, a demand for everything to be done perfectly and in no time. And the busier the day the less you sleep that night. God I'd absolutely love a job where I could work hard for the day again and then leave it behind me when I go out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I worked in a bookies for four years. 13 hour days, minimum wage, two half-hour breaks (if you were lucky! A lot of times you'd have to eat at the counter!) and an endless stream of people emptying their pockets and draining their souls.
    I'd say 80% of the punters were fine in that they just wanted their bet on and their winnings paid out but the rest were argumentative, abusive and downright nasty people to be around.

I've worked in retail a long time and it's tough but at least when the customer leaves, you probably won't encounter them again for a while. Bookies are generally built in very close proximity to pubs. So it's the same faces day in and day out and a significant proportion of them are progressively drunker each time they are standing in front of you. Add that with races going off every 20 seconds or so, two cashiers to serve 60 people who all insist on coming to the counter at the same time and the select few with serious issues who have bet and lost all the Xmas present money their wives sent them to town with.....

The amount of abuse on a daily basis was staggering. In my four years there I was never once in a robbery (thank fcuk!) but I had to hit the panic button six times to get the guards to diffuse violent and escalating situations.

Yeah.... Hell on earth. Wouldn't do it again for a million €.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Milking cows twice a day 7 days a week 11 months a year. When they are calving in spring lots of nights working with only a few hours sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Trawlerman working anything up to 27 hours straight on deck one trip gill netting we did a 24 hour shift a 27 hours and finally 19 hours over 4 days. Swapped to working on a crabber 18 hour days with an extra 2 hour shift at the wheel 7 days on 1 off for 3 weeks then a trip off 1000 crab pots in and out a day each weighing 4.5 stone maybe 7 stone wet with a decent load of crab winch got the pot up to the side of the boat but then had to be lifted over. Now work in IT driving a desk changed days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Corvo

blue note wrote: »
    I'm from Tramore and we all had summer jobs growing up there.

Worked in a shop at 13. That was grand.

Spent two summers as a cleaner in a caravan park. That was actually fine, we kept the park very clean so rarely had bad jobs. Occasionally someone would sh1t in the shower or something, but by and large that job was fine.

Spent a summer working in a chipper. 8 hours in front of a hot grill, queues out the door so under constant pressure to keep pumping out burgers. But it was fine. You'd be covered in grease and sweat at the end of the day, stinking and exhausted, but the days flew by. I know some people weren't able for it, but I found it grand.

Spent three years doing bar work - two in a pub that did food and one in a hotel. The quiet days were a bit painful, just standing for 8 hours until you could close up. The busier the better really, days like stephens day you'd be flat out for the few hours and then you'd be done before you'd know it and sleep like a baby. The day times in the pub were tough as you could be up and down stairs all day collecting food, but again the physical stuff is fine by me.

Working as an accountant now and it's by far the hardest of the lot. Constant deadlines, requests coming at you from everywhere, a demand for everything to be done perfectly and in no time. And the busier the day the less you sleep that night. God I'd absolutely love a job where I could work hard for the day again and then leave it behind me when I go out the door.

Agree with the above. Worked in a factory for a few years but did a lot of heavy lifting as I was in the steel section, and you walked out the door at 5 or 6pm and the day was done until the following day.

Now in an office role for the past number of years and you'd fall asleep at 11pm only to wake at 1am with numbers flying around your head and the constant anxiety that everything is in order for a certain client. And I thought it was just me, until I noticed a colleagues under serious strain and absent with stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've worked retail for years and years during school and college and I definitely think its something everyone should do once. Thankfully I never took much notice of sihthouse customers, we'd all laugh about them afterwards.

Worst job I've had was a General Operative on a Production line, 12 hour shifts 3 days a week (or 6 days when the schedule flipped). Nothing untoward in the job but the monotonous work was head melting for me. Collecting pieces of metal cut off of film projector type reel, putting columns in trays. Rinse repeat all day. Mind numbing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Worked in a Dole office during the recession in a town that was getting it particularly rough. It was mentally draining.

The hardest people to deal with were those who actually wanted jobs. They didn't want to be there, they didn't want to be speaking to me, and many of them dealt with the whole process quite badly. I couldn't blame them, but it made for a stressful working day. Also, an awful lot of people had a massive chip on their shoulder (on both sides of the counter), it was a tinderbox at times.

Staff morale was on the floor too and there was a toxic atmosphere in the office which just exacerbated everything. Add that to the fact that I was managing a section of staff that were all 20 odd years older than me and didn't really want to listen to me.

I've worked in quite a few places and jobs, but this was the only job where I genuinely hated going in to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

blue note wrote: »
    Retired from that now.
    The grief usually starts with someone saying "I have a lovely little job for you. You'll like this. It will suit you."
    And you end up with something that was ignored for five years and has to be done in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've never had a hard job.

The other day at work there were a bunch of young people standing around waiting for an event to start where they'd be collecting glasses and bringing drinks to private rooms etc. I walked past them a few times on the course of doing my job and overheard one of them say "I'd love that job, just walking around all day" I thought that was brilliant. The thought process involved assuming my job was to walk up and down and seemingly do nothing at both locations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

The hardest for me has been boring desk jobs where I've struggled to find something to do. I was going to say Kitchen Porter but I was good at it, the chefs loved me, and I felt a sense of pride in keeping the kitchen going. I've never got anything near that feeling from the pointless cog in the machine administrative jobs I've done since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I used to fit tyres to Diggers, small front ones were grand but the large back tyres were a pig, used to sleep well at night back then

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Picking the mice sh*t out of the pepper in Goodall's factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Doorman on New year's Eve Stephens night Paddy's Day and Halloween. Humanity at its lowest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Working in the coal lorry deliveries in Sligo in the late eighties, early nineties, some of this most bitter winter conditions I came across. Working twelve hour days sometimes, imagine emptying a hundred weight of slack off your shoulder that is practically frozen, into a bunker nearly as tall as you in freezing blizzard conditions and a bale of briquettes in the other hand. Fcuk me that was tough work and the state of the water afterwards when you took a shower or a bath. :eek:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Corvo wrote: »
    Agree with the above. Worked in a factory for a few years but did a lot of heavy lifting as I was in the steel section, and you walked out the door at 5 or 6pm and the day was done until the following day.

Now in an office role for the past number of years and you'd fall asleep at 11pm only to wake at 1am with numbers flying around your head and the constant anxiety that everything is in order for a certain client. And I thought it was just me, until I noticed a colleagues under serious strain and absent with stress.

I worked in a fish processing factory for a while; summer, college holidays, weekend etc
    I used to hate it but the work wasn't hard, now doing accounting.
    I read a quote from someone recently who described the desk as being more like a coffin. I'm starting to see what he meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My first year as a commis chef.......all the crappy jobs and a roster that was 9 splits (7 to 2 and 6:30 to close) a fortnight. Second year was a bit better - at least I had someone I could shout at......third year I decided "feck this" and went to college :D:D

Still amazed that I lasted 2 years - fair play to any chef who went through the full classical training regime!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Call centre in London for a car club (onstreet cars all over the city). Customer service taking 100+ inbound calls a day on average, 60 on a slow day. Most of the calls were grand just people trying to book the nearest car but every 5 or so calls you'd have to take abuse from an old toff pissed off because he'd been charged for a dent or a scummy drug dealer because they'd been fined for holding onto the car past their booking time.

It was mind numbing and the pay was ****e, height of the recession so there wasn't much out there. When they promoted me to supervisor, meaning I had to take 'escalated calls" all day, every day. Left shortly after that as I found myself unable to enjoy social conversations outside of work. It was all mental overload.

The only pro of that job is that I know London areas/postcodes to a tee but as I moved back to Ireland, this knowledge is useless.

Nearly 10 yrs on and I still get annoyed by the sound of ringing phones, pointless phone calls or people ringing me asking me to do things.

Advertisement