Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever recognised a Boardsie from something they posted?

Options
  • 10-12-2017 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

I've recognised a couple of people here from things they've posted. The internet is not as anonymous as you think, especially on a 'local' site.

What about you, Boardsies? Ever read something online (here or on another site) and said "Hang on....I know you!!"

No names obviously!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yeah, a couple of times.
    In particular, people who close accounts and re-open new ones, but post in exactly the same style and forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Needs a poll

:D

Oh, and yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Spotted someone off my college course. Gave himself away by asking a question on boards and then giving the answers back during lectures. On one memorable occasion he referenced a post on boards in an assignment, even though the post was bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I was just thinking this earlier this morning.

Saw a post in a popular AH thread, username & content of post could fit someone I know.

We all do post personal stuff at times, so we are never really 100% anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Yeah and it changed my opinion of them. Completely making stuff up all over the shop. Was definitely them going by post history and some usernames were also what their old email address usernames would be. Or xbox profile names.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I've recognised a couple of people here from things they've posted. The internet is not as anonymous as you think, especially on a 'local' site.

What about you, Boardies? Ever read something online (here or on another site) and said "Hang on....I know you!!"

No names obviously!!!

Its not anonymous at all, especially when a person posts images from a site like photobucket where they have a personal account, you can right click on the image and select 'search Google for more images like this'. (I dont do this by the way, but it did happen me once)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,313 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I went to college with a guy and he posted in college forum here. It was fairly obvious it was him mainly because his username was his surname and birth year.
    He had a few funny questions from time to time and I also saw all the college courses he attempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Yeah my friend posted in PI one time. I recognised her issue as I had been aware of it but not how much it was upsetting her. I felt guilty even though it was an accident - as if I had read her diary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Yep. Wished I didn't tbh, and I've blocked them 'cause their posts mention private things that they are saying, assuming that they're anonymous.

Happened the other way around too and led to me closing an account that I liked, after a creepy person was making creepy reference to posts in a creepy manner in the office.. Creepily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Someone said in a thread before that they might know me because of something I said about my granny or maybe our granny :)
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    We all do post personal stuff at times, so we are never really 100% anonymous.

I try to refrain from posting things that are too personal to me but there have been times when I have posted something and felt like I'd rather I hadn't. Personally i dont think its natural to share too much information about yourself publicly.

I haven't recognized anyone myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Impossible for me to say really.

No one I know of is on boards unless they keep it a big secret and only 2 people, the wife being one of them know I’m on this although I did a name change a few months back and only the wife knows my current name.

I had 2 previous accounts here over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yea. Mostly where they have posted videos in fitness forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Someone said in a thread before that they might know me because of something I said about my granny or maybe our granny :)

I try to refrain from posting things that are too personal to me but there have been times when I have posted something and felt like I'd rather I hadn't. Personally i dont think its natural to share too much information about yourself publicly.

I haven't recognized anyone myself.

I'd be the same, some forums i would be more open stuff than others. Never anything too personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Yeah a friend I went to school with and a cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Recognized a mod from his post.
    Showing off his beard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Howya John, how’s the family keeping!? Did you ever get that thing sorted?

See you over the holidays down the local yeah!?
    DoozerT6 wrote: »

What about you, Boardsies? Ever read something online (here or on another site) and said "Hang on....I know you!!"

No names obviously!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have been recognised once on my old username, which was my first name. Was recognised again with this username by my neighbour. Don't really care tbh as all I tend to post about is stuff in the motoring forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Quite a few people knew me on my original username many moons ago. I'd be fairly sure I'm recognisable this time around too but it doesn't bother me overly much. I'm pretty similar in real life to my posts. I've recognised a couple of people. I've even gotten a job through a boards person (i didn't know them outside boards).

Oh and I got asked to be a mod under both usernames so clearly I'm doing something right in my posting style :eek::D:D Or at least according to the powers that be here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Met a guy at a mutual friend's wedding who was like are you (old boards username)? Was surprised it was the first time it happened tbh, Ireland being as small as it is and I never really held back on the personal details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I randomly ended up at a house party at a boards users place but I was outrageously drunk and made a pretty poor showing of myself. Hate thinking about that one! I'm sure loads of people have recognised me though. Whatever about Dublin, Galway City's definitely a very small place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

I randomly ended up at a house party at a boards users place but I was outrageously drunk and made a pretty poor showing of myself. Hate thinking about that one! I'm sure loads of people have recognised me though. Whatever about Dublin, Galway City's definitely a very small place.

Yeah you were a total mess that night. Embarrassed for your family really, people still talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

A few times from photos. Oh and there was one guy who sounded an awful lot like someone I used to know, I can't explain it - just the way he wrote, Anyway, I clicked on his profile out of curiosity and he's probably realised who I am now too. Can't say it bothers me that much, but it probably would if someone who wasn't on boards figured out who I was here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

There are some things that I have posted about that would make me very easily identifiable if you knew me in real life so I'm pretty sure it's happened, but not that I'm aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Guy in work! Busted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I find that their username is something of a giveaway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Awesome contradictory statement

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Old username got recognised about a year or so ago by a story I posted. Wasnt too personal a story so didnt mind but changed accounts to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've already been recognised by one person I worked with and I'm pretty sure I leave myself open to being recognised by anyone else who knows me. I'm not all that bothered. I say some daft shlt but nothing I'm overly ashamed about! My views and opinions on here are the same as I hold in the real world. Sure tis all a bit a craic. The anonymity is nice but sure not the end of the world if someone recognises me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Recognised someone from what they posted, but I've since not remembered what their username is. So, I could come across their username again and not remember I know them :pac:

Advertisement