Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRL and all things Rugby League down under 2018.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Managed to catch the second half of the Rabbitohs and Eels. I'd agree the Haynes near-try was a key moment. Momentum was all with the Bunnies after that.

Also been catching up on highlights of the other round's games. What a hit from Ben Matulino. I think that is the best one I've seen this season.

https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1022982465420451840

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Managed to catch the second half of the Rabbitohs and Eels. I'd agree the Haynes near-try was a key moment. Momentum was all with the Bunnies after that.

Also been catching up on highlights of the other round's games. What a hit from Ben Matulino. I think that is the best one I've seen this season.

How do they leap back up after hits like that? Made of sterner stuff.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

How do they leap back up after hits like that? Made of sterner stuff.
    I think they're mad sometimes. I think adreneline just takes over. I used to see a lot of those players after games and they were wired even before they got on the beers. One doctor a few years ago said playing night games was bad news long term for players as they can't sleep due to over diagnosed sleeping pills.

Bad time in the season for the Warriors to be reverting to type. Okay first half, though still not great followed by truly dreadful second against a team they should be beating.

Pity about the Warriors. Titans scored some nice tries.

Roosters impressed against the Dragons. Still have to remind myself that Latrell Mitchell is only 21. :eek:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Pity about the Warriors. Titans scored some nice tries.

Roosters impressed against the Dragons. Still have to remind myself that Latrell Mitchell is only 21. :eek:

Beast and will only get better

Ben Hunt had a decent game for the Dragons

Didn't expect the Broncos to lose to the Bulldogs.

Really excited for the top of the table clash on Friday between the Rabbitohs and Storm. I see Storm winning but I hope I'm wrong.

Didn't expect the Broncos to lose to the Bulldogs.

Really excited for the top of the table clash on Friday between the Rabbitohs and Storm. I see Storm winning but I hope I'm wrong.

One of the doggies trainers could be in trouble, said to the ref he should ref the game more fairly!

I have everything crossed the bunnies beat the storm.

Matt Cecchin is stepping down from the NRL ref panel, he cited abuse as the reason, copped a load after the World Cup semi. He will have reffed over 300 games by the time he leaves. Talk of him moving to Super League which would be no bad thing for them.

Great win for the Rabbitohs and a cracking try from Cook. First victory over the Storm since 2013.

Pity the Knights lost.

• Advertisement

Matt Cecchin is stepping down from the NRL ref panel, he cited abuse as the reason, copped a load after the World Cup semi. He will have reffed over 300 games by the time he leaves. Talk of him moving to Super League which would be no bad thing for them.
    I read that story the other day here. Scary stuff this is something that was waiting to happen. One of the first things I noticed when I started following NRL was how much focus goes on the refs mistakes compared to other sports. Most other sports it's dealt with in the after match analysis and the papers next morning then it's gone. Over there they drag it out all week, next weekends games come along, another mistake and the cycle goes on and on. The Aussie media go way overboard instead of just accepting it and moving on.

Warriors won a close one against the Dragons. Nightingale got cleaned out by Blair with the last tackle of the game as the Dragons threw it about as time ran out. Pretty ferocious, hopefully he'll be okay, but was holding his shoulder after it.

Big win for the Warriors though after last week's shocker.

Yeah that was some hit from Blair.

Managed to catch the Roosters/Cowboys game earlier. Cowboys came back well in the second half but the Roosters were able to get over the line. Loved Taumalolo's try where he just steamrolled through Tedesco.

https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1025681993965568001

Good comeback win for the Panthers but I thought the Raiders were unlucky. Looked like one of the tries came from a forward pass.

All very messy at the Panthers, and now by extension at the Tigers.

All stems from Penrith sacking Anthony Griffin (well supposed mutual agreement but still looks like a sacking) and now trying to poach Tigers coach Ivan Cleary back to the Panthers.

All very messy at the Panthers, and now by extension at the Tigers.

All stems from Penrith sacking Anthony Griffin (well supposed mutual agreement but still looks like a sacking) and now trying to poach Tigers coach Ivan Cleary back to the Panthers.
    Griffin was sacked. He unloaded on Gould yesterday on Fox sports. Gould is on a power trip it seems. It looks like Penrith are trying to get the Clearys together. It's a bit odd if you ask me. What if Nathans form goes off a cliif? Does daddy drop him? He still lives with his parents. How will the other players react if they feel daddy is showing bias to an underperforming son? Recipe for disaster I reckon considering Griffin was apparantly booted for falling out with the players.

Gould has hit back today:
    "They wouldn't have won a premiership the way he was coaching. He's got us nowhere near a premiership at the moment," he said.

"I interviewed them personally myself as a group after the debacle up in Brisbane where the coach had taken them on a three-day camp to the Gold Coast, completely cut out all the assistant staff and management and wanted to run the whole thing himself his way and they were beaten 50 points to 18 and the players came back very confused because when things were going good Cameron Ciraldo was giving a lot of the information, a lot of the work, Peter Wallace had joined him in that time and was doing a lot of the work, they were completely cut out the last five or six weeks and the players were confused about not being prepared well enough."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/09/penrith-panthers-football-boss-phil-gould-fires-back-at-former-coach-anthony-griffin/

I suspect we haven't heard the last of this.

Great finish to the Cowboys/Broncos game earlier. I was pleased for Thurston.

Warriors played some nice stuff in their win over the Knights. Roosters with a hard fought win over the Rabbitohs.

Dragons flogged by Parra. It pains me to say it cause I like Mcgregor but I think it's time to have a think about his position next year. It's a reoccurring flaw now every season. When they lose a couple they just go into freefall and he doesn't seem to be able to get them out it. That's 5 losses out of 6 now.

Storm lost, they didn't seem at it today and the Sharks beat them again. Still think Melbourne get more than their fair share of calls, but that could just be my bitterness!

• Advertisement

Great defending from the Sharks. Only caught the highlights but it seemed a fun game.

Good result for the Tigers too considering all the off-field drama.

Some good games to look forward to next round. Broncos vs Rabbitohs and Tigers vs Dragons, both of which are on Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Good solid game by the Warriors. Everyone loves friday night lights, few woodstocks after work between work and the game. 
    The tempo of the game from start to finish was set from the warriors, every single play the were trying to speed up the game, they ran the legs of the Knights.
    Seen the stats, Warriors ran 2,072 metres, and 338 of which came from captain RTS.
    Knights were unlucky not to score another try, how he didnt catch that but Knights try was another clear forward pass, about 10th against the Warriors at Mt Smart this season.
    First home win in over 3months, hope thats a turning point as after this weeks away game, we've 2 at home to finish the regular season

The coaching circus is almost as interesting as the comp these days. As it stands up to 6 clubs could be changing coaches before next season.

Important win for the Broncos over the Rabbitohs. I had a feeling they'd get the result but thought the scoreline would be closer. Must-win game now for the Tigers against the Dragons on Saturday.

Important win for the Broncos over the Rabbitohs. I had a feeling they'd get the result but thought the scoreline would be closer. Must-win game now for the Tigers against the Dragons on Saturday.
    That scares me even more now. The Tigers will be even more motivated against the Dragons. Teams 5-8 all on 28 points now it can't get any tighter.

Ouch. Manly's last home game of the season and they blow a 22-6 lead to lose 42-34 to the Titans. AJ Brimson looking a great prospect for Gold Coast.

Finally some relief from the Dragons. It wasn't pretty but it's a win. Back in the top 4.

Cleary isn't giving up on the top eight but I can't see it happening now.

Also Thurston in real danger of finishing with the wooden spoon.

Warriors Bulldogs was a good game, wrong result for the Warriors though unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Great kick from Lewis to win it for the Bulldogs - and on his birthday as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement