Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you hate twitter?

Options
  • 08-12-2017 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Twitter has been around for a while now and I could never see the appeal of posting on it. To me it looks and feels like a crowded room full of people shouting random things hoping to be heard and if nobody hears they try again with something more controversial.

It has reduced a large amount of journalists and radio personalities to mere curators of their twitter feed. Fellas who used to have a brain are now reduced to zombies incapable of independent thought and just blurt out random soundbites like Repeal the 8th, SJW and MeToo.

The centralised nature of twitter also means that if you can stop someone from tweeting or if you can stop certain tweets then you essentially have control over what becomes news

I was thinking the other day how tiring it must be to live with someone who regularly follows a lot of mainstream tweeting and actually cares about it. It must be nearly impossible to tolerate such a person living in a state of permanent outrage over mostly Statesian events.

Do you hate twitter? 38 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 38 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

It was ok about 2011. Then the alt right and the sjw left took over and it’s an echo chamber.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Not on it, and never will be. I have Facebook and I'm getting tired of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I like it. It's what you make of it to be honest - follow a load of dicks and it's going to be a crap experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

It has reduced a large amount of journalists and radio personalities to mere curators of their twitter feed. Fellas who used to have a brain are now reduced to zombies incapable of independent thought and just blurt out random soundbites like Repeal the 8th, SJW and MeToo.

like who exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I use Twitter for my work and it is great for interacting with a large audience. You can Tweet images and tag people in your Tweets, so its a great way for showcasing my work and driving people to my website. I have also found a way to gain lots of followers, and not just random people, but people who are relevant to your area of interest or work. Over the last number of years, I have done a fair amount of business on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't hate it. I sounds kinda silly, so I don't bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's all down to who you follow. It's a great resource for having a lot of different types of news sources, commentators and creators in one feed. Throw in some funny parody accounts or comedians, and then when there's a TV event or similar (Toy Show, Eurovision etc) it can be a lot of fun.

There's obviously a hell of a lot of sh*t on Twitter too which, even when you don't follow them, can be retweeted or liked and end up in your feed anyway, or people you liked following who suddenly go on a tear about something, or constantly retweeting 50 different people saying the same thing and it clogs up your feed.

It's how you use Twitter that's key. I got to hate it for a while but unfollowed a lot of the more annoying accounts I'd been following and found my experience to be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So it's slacktivist central?

I don't use it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I only use it for watching clips of people falling over. Never really found what more you can do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm meh about twitter. I have an account, rarely use it and follow people that I actually want to hear from about stuff.

I like it, very handy for quickly hearing about any breaking news etc and also a great way to follow gaa as even local club teams will give score updates during games etc that you would otherwise only get the result for in the evening etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Penn wrote: »
    It's all down to who you follow. It's a great resource for having a lot of different types of news sources, commentators and creators in one feed. Throw in some funny parody accounts or comedians, and then when there's a TV event or similar (Toy Show, Eurovision etc) it can be a lot of fun.

There's obviously a hell of a lot of sh*t on Twitter too which, even when you don't follow them, can be retweeted or liked and end up in your feed anyway, or people you liked following who suddenly go on a tear about something, or constantly retweeting 50 different people saying the same thing and it clogs up your feed.

It's how you use Twitter that's key. I got to hate it for a while but unfollowed a lot of the more annoying accounts I'd been following and found my experience to be a lot better.

Yeah this is the point of it for me. I see it as a bit of a fishing net for the information overload that is the internet. By following some of the right people i've been able to get ideas, links, info etc that i never would have found otherwise in the online white noise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

That is a good point. For polarising items it is very good at seeing the outer ranges of ideas and feelings. It is good for breaking news. It is in no way a debating space as it is a set of shout boxes. Why, because there is in most places zero personal consequence of what you post as it is not a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

As others have said, your experience all depends on who you follow or maybe which hashtag you click on. I follow a load of political journalists from different outlets so I find it great for finding out about breaking news stories. If you only followed one or two papers/news-sites, you might just see the same stuff over and over; but if you follow a variety of sites and actual journalists who post analysis etc on Twitter, you can get a great view of what's going on worldwide. You can also search for any news event and see what other people are saying about - sure, there can be a lot of dross, but you quickly get an idea of the general feeling towards something.

There's also lots of comedy and parody accounts, and accounts that are about specific interests (music, languages, photography, travel, sports etc), which are a good counterpoint to the above - again, you have to seek them out and follow them so your feed is full of whatever you find interesting.

That said, sometimes the replies to a tweet can send you off into the racist and/or wildly ignorant realms of Twitter - I do hate that side of it. It is what you make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What can be really insane is clicking on any inane tweet by a celebrity and seeing the plethora of weird tweets they get. From people who praise them and worship them, to people who try to strike up a conversation with them, and to others who just tweet stuff like "**** me hard Daddy I want you inside me!" (I've genuinely seen that in response to a normal tweet by a male celeb, can't remember who though).

But here's an example, Ryan Gosling tweeted a video about a man freed after being wrongly imprisoned for 30 years. First response:

https://twitter.com/DipDabOlly/status/897877777331912704

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Don't have it, don't care about it and articles that are entirely based on twitter posts are annoying.
    It's the equivalent of quoting a man who said something somewhere in a pub as the basis for an article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Bob Harris wrote: »
    It's the equivalent of quoting a man who said something somewhere in a pub as the basis for an article.

yes, it's exactly like this if everything said in the pub was available to be read by anyone round the world with an internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

trellheim wrote: »
    That is a good point. For polarising items it is very good at seeing the outer ranges of ideas and feelings. It is good for breaking news. It is in no way a debating space as it is a set of shout boxes. Why, because there is in most places zero personal consequence of what you post as it is not a society.

Well that incident last week at the London tube stop turned into a sh1t show due to twitter activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I use it for my website, which broadcasts weather reports for my location and which has a lot of local businesses and people following it.

I also have a separate personal twitter account which I use for news, tv programs, sport updates/news and I like the search engine which is good.
    I don't use FB, but I'm a big fan of twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I use it a fair bit and get most of my news from it. I just don't get facebook, I'm not sure if it's something I've done but the timeline on fb is all over the place. Facebook is great for business interaction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

hairyslug wrote: »
    I use it a fair bit and get most of my news from it. I just don't get facebook, I'm not sure if it's something I've done but the timeline on fb is all over the place. Facebook is great for business interaction though.

This makes me curious. I can't fathom how people use Twitter as a reliable source for news! Isn't it rife with "fake news"..

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Hate is a strong word, absolutely no time for it is more my feeling on the matter. If it's news I want I'll look at real news sites or papers. Twitter to me gives idiots, trolls etc another platform to talk shít from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

anna080 wrote: »
    This makes me curious. I can't fathom how people use Twitter as a reliable source for news! Isn't it rife with "fake news"..

Like the journal, or the Indo, or the DM etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Patww79 wrote: »
    Not if you follow legitimate news outlets for your news. Do you think you get bombarded with things you don't follow or something, or have you never used it?

I had an account years ago, it's still active but I don't use it.
    I often got bombarded with shlt I didn't follow- retweets and forwards and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I twist twitter on my twot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I have an account I use for work and find it brilliant. It's a great forum for sharing resources and displays of what you've done
    I limit who I follow to what relevant & creditable though

Advertisement