Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'welcome to northern ireland sign'

Options
  • 07-12-2017 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

You know all those brexit news items we see that sign...where is it? Never spotted it and im fairly sure ive used all the main crossings in my lifetime.

Also on a lighter note, there's something cold and functional looking about their road signage and line paintings on the roads compared to ours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

You know all those brexit news items we see that sign...where is it? Never spotted it and im fairly sure ive used all the main crossings in my lifetime.

Also on a lighter note, there's something cold and functional looking about their road signage and line paintings on the roads compared to ours.

The sign in Derrylin has bullet holes in it.

I think I might have seen one around Newry and Strabane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it's on the border of cavan into monaghan. they're sneakily trying to annex the rest of ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I saw something on twitter last week when channel 4 had that piece about the drawing the border, the following day, they had a reporter and camera man over to interview people here. They struggled to find any "welcome to.... " signs, locals said they didn't last long once they were put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Last time I travelled to Belfast on the M1 there was a big sign saying “Welcome to Northern Ireland “ at the border....no sign indicating change of jurisdiction on the way back...although maybe there was a (much more demure) sign saying “Welcome to Co.Louth”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The road markings in the north are horrendous now. ****e, worn, no cats eyes, no road side markings, and roads are in ****e in a lot of places. Long gone are the days that the roads in the North were better than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

It's in Greystones.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Last time I travelled to Belfast on the M1 there was a big sign saying “Welcome to Northern Ireland “ at the border....no sign indicating change of jurisdiction on the way back...although maybe there was a (much more demure) sign saying “Welcome to Co.Louth”

https://goo.gl/maps/dxyWgYogQAk

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Every time they put them up they were sold to Corry's for scrap stolen.

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The road markings in the north are horrendous now. ****e, worn, no cats eyes, no road side markings, and roads are in ****e in a lot of places. Long gone are the days that the roads in the North were better than here.

If the north was a country it would rank 44th on the UN Human Development Index. Ireland ranks 8th and the UK ranks 16th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If the north was a country it would rank 44th on the UN Human Development Index. Ireland ranks 8th and the UK ranks 16th.
    No1 for electrical engineering though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

it's on the border of cavan into monaghan. they're sneakily trying to annex the rest of ulster.

Fantastic news!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I went to Northern Ireland in the 1970s for a bit of Christmas shopping (Belfast, Banbridge, Newry).
    At that time I was amazed at how much better the roads were in NI.
    I drove to Belfast two years ago and was shocked at how poor the roads are in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heading into NI, there should be signs saying "Welcome to the 18th century"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Fermanagh welcomes you, naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As that index relies on GNI per capita, Ireland gets a falsely high reading due to the contribution of MNCs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I travel the M1 several times a week. The welcome to Louth sign, I am familiar with but all that's on the NI side is a speed sign saying speeds in MPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fermanagh welcomes you, naturally.

Fermanagh is great.

Except for their football.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thinking there's one between Pettigo in Donegal, and Kesh in Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

best ones are on ennisk side one is f off u w@nkers written across some farmers stone wall :pac:

at least you know your over the border i guess :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

There's a sign on a bridge outside Larne. It says 'Welcome to Larne' and has the acronym 'UVF' written below it.

I also spotted a gem at a slipway on the river Bann in Portadown. Some wag had painted an arrow pointing towards the water with the accompanying proclamation 'catholics wash here'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Mint Sauce wrote: »

there is, its the a fore mentioned 'Fermanagh Welcomes you, Naturally' sign

http://bit.ly/2Bde44u

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I travel the M1 several times a week. The welcome to Louth sign, I am familiar with but all that's on the NI side is a speed sign saying speeds in MPH.

They must have taken it down then....last time I was on that road is probably two years ago tbf...never understood why there was one on the way up and none on the way down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Cue scores of moronically bigoted xenophophes posting'the same 'hilarious' posts about the 'nordies' being narrow-minded bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

the-road-signs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cue scores of moronically bigoted xenophophes posting'the same 'hilarious' posts about the 'nordies' being narrow-minded bigots.

Newstalk and Ivan is thataway>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Fermanagh is great.

Except for their football.

It's difficult for them. One half of the county is Protestant and the other half is water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Yes , but only on the main road. 350m away on the back road there's nothing.

Had a game of spot the border a while back. Heading north east from the B136 through Petigo and out the back road along the border.

When you cross into Ireland there's a big yellow sign warning you to "drive on the left", which is kinda confusing when you are already driving on the left and there is no explanation for the sign.

Crossed the boarder six times, turned around and crossed it another four times passenger didn't spot it once, or the side road where the border was 200m away.

Without GPS the only way to tell which side you were on was that the road signs changed shape or font or the tarmac was a different shade on the other side of the culvert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Its a crackin wee border so it is hi

if you can find it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They must have taken it down then....last time I was on that road is probably two years ago tbf...never understood why there was one on the way up and none on the way down

These 'Welcome to NORTHERN IRELAND - Speed limits in miles per hour' signs went up when we changed our speed limit signs to km/h in 2005 and there's been one on the A1 every time I've passed since then.

It's been a few months since I've crossed the border there so it could have come down recently I suppose.

Advertisement