Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women that have alleged sexual harassment by men are Time's Persons of the Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Whilst there is a lot to be commended for speaking out against sexual violence I find the trial by media nauseating.

Theres a lot of bandwagons building up steam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Trump must be a close second

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

nostro wrote: »

Herr Hitler was Time’s man of the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No men interestingly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

KungPao wrote: »
    Herr Hitler was Time’s man of the year too.
    You won it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

How out of touch with the real world can this Time magazine be?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Taylor Swift on the cover.

Taylor Swift says she was made to feel bad about the consequences that her harasser faced. After she complained about a Denver radio DJ named David Mueller, who allegedly grabbed her rear end, Mueller was fired.

"I'm not going to let you or your client make me feel in any way that this is my fault," "I'm being blamed for the unfortunate events of his life that are a product of his decisions. Not mine."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

How out of touch with the real world can this Time magazine be?

Totally. What about that Ibrahim Halal lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

eviltwin wrote: »

Terry crews is included in the piece. The cover is only some of the people named.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

eviltwin wrote: »

They will probably have one or two token males inside but this is overwhelmingly an issue of women claiming sexual harassment by men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Time don't cast judgement on the merits of their person/people of the year, it is about the people or person who have had the greatest effect on the year. Or in their own words "has done the most to influence the events of the year". In that context it's a fair shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bit silly having something called person of the year then you give it to multiple people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Like I said on the Weinstein thread, I'd liked to have seen Ronan Farrow there too. He's the one who exposed the whole Weinstein saga and has actually been handed a back seat when it comes to giving credit and gratitude for publicly exposing the whole scandal, which consequently has since avalanched into its own social movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Bit silly having something called person of the year then you give it to multiple people.
    Did they not give it to everyone a few years ago? So I guess these people have been person of the year twice!

Hitler won it in 1938 and Stalin in 1939.

They’re saying these women are as bad as Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Its given to people they feel had a biggest influence during the year, good or bad. Hitler and Stalin are a pretty good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

LEAVE TAYLOR SWIFT ALONE !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

What a load of horseshoite

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Should it not be "Person/Perdaugter/Pernondefined of the Year".

I mean we wouldn't want to be offending anybody.

#TimeMagazineSoSexist

#WhatTheFcukAmIOnAbout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Interesting choice,

It has been a rolling and well discussed news story for large part of the year alright.

Other than Trump, im not sure what would top that as influence of the year approach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Interesting choice,

It has been a rolling and well discussed news story for large part of the year alright.

Other than Trump, im not sure what would top that as influence of the year approach.

It's influenced that common sense and reason are trumped by a hashtag.

Ffs ex Beeb newsreader Jan Leeming claimed she was sexually assaulted by airport security "they put their hands all over me and even felt the waistband of my trousers".

She tripped the metal detector, it's what happens!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Interesting choice,

he won last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Using the logic of 'influence' in choosing Person of the Year where the likes of Hitler and Stalin are named they might have picked Harvey Weinstein in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nostro wrote: »
    Taylor Swift on the cover.

Taylor Swift says she was made to feel bad about the consequences that her harasser faced. After she complained about a Denver radio DJ named David Mueller, who allegedly grabbed her rear end, Mueller was fired.

"I'm not going to let you or your client make me feel in any way that this is my fault," "I'm being blamed for the unfortunate events of his life that are a product of his decisions. Not mine."
    Are you being critical of her being on the cover?

Have a look at what happened there and the court case that came out of it.

It's actually a great read, and my respect for Swift jumped massively after. It's not just a case of, "She was made to feel bad", that's an horrific simplification tbh, wherever you got it from.

She was being sued, for him being fired, and she was subjected to a typical cross-examination which continually tried to focus on her "part" in the incident that got him fired - and what she could have done to avoid it.

And rather than respond meekly or apologetically for her behaviour, she fncking nailed the lawyer continuously by pointing out that her behaviour is irrelevant, and it was the actions of his client that got him fired.

In terms of a public examination of how we deal with allegation of sexual misconduct, the case involving Taylor Swift was a big deal this year and Swift's comments in that case shined a big fncking light on the gulf that exists in attitudes.

That's why she's on the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

valoren wrote: »

Using the logic of 'influence' in choosing Person of the Year where the likes of Hitler and Stalin are name they might have picked Harvey Weinstein in that case?
    PC culture wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Greybottle wrote: »
    Should it not be "Person/Perdaugter/Pernondefined of the Year".

I mean we wouldn't want to be offending anybody.

#TimeMagazineSoSexist

#WhatTheFcukAmIOnAbout

Don't forget the "Nongender person" ..................................... :rolleyes:

I weep for the world.............

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I remember I won it in 2006, I won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2012. Decent few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I remember I won it in 2006, I won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2012. Decent few years.

it must look good on your Linkedin profile

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

silverharp wrote: »
    it must look good on your Linkedin profile

I don’t put it on CVs. Wanna be judged on my skills, not my achievements.

• Advertisement

Al Porter must be front runner for next year

Advertisement