Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nationwide ban on Smokey coal announced

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Old argument that doesn't hold water anymore, there are some high heat burning smokeless now.

Tell the coalman around here that.

And high heat coals in themselves burn out too quickly for back boilers and longevity of the fire.

But I'll use it if a suitable alternative can be supplied. I've no issue provided my home is heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Old argument that doesn't hold water anymore, there are some high heat burning smokeless now.

no its true. my neighbour has tried them all. and they are all rubbish. she burns twice as much and doesn't get the same heat.
    proper coal is way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

no its true. my neighbour has tried them all. and they are all rubbish. she burns twice as much and doesn't get the same heat.
    proper coal is way better.

Fact that smokeless coal is ****, and this government haven’t thought this through

• Registered Users Posts: 81,502 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should ban burning of wood pellets in built up areas while they are at it, the place smells like kippers this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They should ban banning things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Smokeless coal.makes crap smog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You can still head to the north and buy it though.
    Jasis
    Taking about people driving 2km down the road to.a petrol station outside the banned zone, buying their smokey coal, driving.home into the zone and burning it!

Is that a family guy meme with the old guy.in a chair explaining tuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'm not sure what the homes behind uchg were burning the other night, it wasn't coal and smelt vile, while being choked at the same time.

The ban will improve the market for wood too ;) I'd wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Just burn bits of old tyres in with smokeless... That'll keep them pesky neighbours quite.

And yet the obvious this year. After the recent big strom every tom dick and harry is selling cutting and buring un-seasoned timber.

Look at the damge that stuff does! The smell tar and creso from the chimney ffs.

I live in the city and never had any serious issue with smoke i can just remember the smog in the early 90s. Most homes are oil or gas i find i hard to believe its an issue in the country towns or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

its not that big of a deal. people are starting to get too lazy to light the fire. all they want is to press a button and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

its not that big of a deal. people are starting to get too lazy to light the fire. all they want is to press a button and nothing more.

I was thinking the same. Not enough people bothered enough to actually shovel coal into the fire and light it to warrant a ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

As someone with a back boiler who has tried smokeless coal, it doesn't give out the heat. With Smokey coal I can put a fire on and slack it up to last all night. The smokeless had to be topped up regularly through the evening.

Eco Glo is your friend... Its mighty stuff.. Burns for days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I'll give you my smokey coal when you pry it from my cold, black hands.

Fizzy drinks ruined with non-sugar sweeteners, drink possibly being given a minimum price of 2 euro a can and now a ban on coal that actually provides decent heat. It's great. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fizzy drinks ruined with non-sugar sweeteners, drink possibly being given a minimum price of 2 euro a can and now a ban on coal that actually provides decent heat. It's great. :rolleyes:

FG flying in the polls. People must like their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

who is lobbying for this who do they represent who will make profit from the eventual ban on carbon fuel

They don't give a toss about the health of people only profits

Advertisement