Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a video game journalist

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dannyodwyer

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Can I just say I have ZERO interest in gaming but have enjoyed reading this.

It's been informative and educations and entertaining. I even watched one of your videos. Bravo.

Thanks so much! That's really nice to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Just spent the last 2 hours checking out noclip and I have to say I'm impressed, serious quality in your documentary style. John Romero seems like a really great guy! Already subscribed and I can't wait to get through the Witcher docs on there. Best of luck on the future and it's great to see no advertising games journalism.

Just a quick question and suggestion.
    1. What are your thoughts on Hideo Kojima and his new game? It seems a little "out there" even by his standards or is it just a case of him now flexing his new found freedom from the more "corporate" strings he had been attached to for so long?
    2. Do you know Frontier games and would you be interested in doing a doc on them? I played their Planet Coaster game and was blown away by how much love and attention they put in and thinking maybe with their long catalogue of simulation style games it would be an interesting topic for one of your docs? I'm sure they would love the attention considering how small they're studio size is and how engaged they are with creators on steam and youtube through the workshop.

Thanks again Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dannyodwyer

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Just spent the last 2 hours checking out noclip and I have to say I'm impressed, serious quality in your documentary style. John Romero seems like a really great guy! Already subscribed and I can't wait to get through the Witcher docs on there. Best of luck on the future and it's great to see no advertising games journalism.

Just a quick question and suggestion.
    1. What are your thoughts on Hideo Kojima and his new game? It seems a little "out there" even by his standards or is it just a case of him now flexing his new found freedom from the more "corporate" strings he had been attached to for so long?
    2. Do you know Frontier games and would you be interested in doing a doc on them? I played their Planet Coaster game and was blown away by how much love and attention they put in and thinking maybe with their long catalogue of simulation style games it would be an interesting topic for one of your docs? I'm sure they would love the attention considering how small they're studio size is and how engaged they are with creators on steam and youtube through the workshop.

Thanks again Danny.

Thanks so much, I'm really glad you enjoyed them.

1) Ultimately what makes his games good are the mechanics,and we know little about how the game will play yet. His tone trailers are an enjoyable oddities but as we saw with MGS V and Ground Zeroes - the trailers rarely give us insight into how the games play. I'm happy to see him on a new franchise to be honest. He's creatively cut loose, and hopefully making the best of it. We'll have to wait and see.

2) I'm not a huge player of their games to be honest. I do really want to tell the story of Theme Hospital and a bunch of other Bullfrog management games, but I'm so familiar with Planet Coaster sadly. That said, I'll look into it. We often get tips from the community that end up turning into something. It can't all be stuff that I'm interesting in. For example our FFXIV doc was a suggestion from a Patron I was drinking with at a meet up in San Diego. So thanks for the suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

*cough* bump *cough* :D
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Do you think you will ever return to Ireland permanently? I know you are now married to an American, but I guess the freedom of Noclip affords you the opportunity to base yourself anywhere.

Do you hope that you can break into mainstream television? Perhaps have a thirty minute slot on network TV or see your documentaries being aired on TV? Is that one of your goals?

I know you are a huge advocate for mental health awareness and considering you now appear to have your dream job, how much has that affected your own capacity to manage your mental health? I would imagine you still feel pressure and stress, but does doing what it is you love to do above anything else mitigate mental health problems?

By the way, I have been following you on GameSpot since 2012 or so and I think most people here would agree, it was a far more enjoyable website with you on-board. I have kind of moved over to EuroGamer since you left - Johnny Chiodini is always a pleasure to read and watch!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Going to wrap this up, as Danny's a busy man :) I'm sure he has plenty planned for the coming year. Thanks again for taking part! If you'd like to see more from Danny and Noclip, you can see the various documentaries and video series here. If you'd like to find out more about their Patreon campaign, see how you can support, and the rewards for doing so, check it out here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement