Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Insane Film Characters

Options
  • 05-12-2017 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

There's so many that I can't chose a favourite. They often tend to be the most interesting and complex characters.

One's that come to mind now are Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver and Frank Booth from Blue Velvet.

Taxi Driver was good in that you followed the film through Travis. There wasn't really a goody as such. He was a very interesting character. I don't think he was bad, just messed up.

Frank Booth was a psychopath? A sadist? Not sure but definitely a very unusual eccentric quirky character and very well played by Dennis Hopper.

What others are the best and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Heath Ledger as the joker in the Dark Knight he was an amazing crazy person/physco in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Heath Ledger as Joker is the one who comes to mind immediately. Every time he was on the screen I was glued to it and when he wasn't, I found myself wondering what he was up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Heath Ledger as the joker in the Dark Knight

And I was just about to post "in before x as The Joker" :pac:

I think the Joker character is a bit further down the scale, whereas the OP is suggesting sociopaths... not psychopaths.

Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Klaus Kinski in Aguirre, Wrath of God.

Actually, Kinski in anything, including real life.

aguiree_wrath_god.jpg

Actually, just had another thought. Malcolm McDowell as Alex in A Clockwork Orange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

me_irl wrote: »
    And I was just about to post "in before x as The Joker" :pac:

I think the Joker character is a bit further down the scale, whereas the OP is suggesting sociopaths... not psychopaths.

Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Not really suggesting sociopaths or psychopaths particularly or any type of mental illness but just insane characters.

I also liked Bob in the comedy What About Bob? who suffered from an accumulation of phobias and then forms an unusual unwanted relationship with his therapist.

Falling Down was good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ben Kingsley's character in Sexy Beast (forgotten name now), fantastic performance.

If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Edit: Don Logan !!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ben Kingsley's character in Sexy Beast (forgotten name now), fantastic performance.

If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Edit: Don Logan !!

Yea, he is one my favourites. How he carries on on the plane so that he doesn't have to go home :/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Willem Defoe in... er... anything. :)

He just has that 'look'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

both Hannibal Lecter and Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. "I ate his liver...", "it puts the lotion in the basket" etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance in the Shining and as Randle Patrick McMurphy in One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. I love how he portrays unhinged. Also not insane but quirky in as good as it gets as Melvin Udall. Another character who creeped me out and played really well was Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes in Misery.

Lougarden wrote: »
    Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance in the Shining and as Randle Patrick McMurphy in One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. I love how he portrays unhinged. Also not insane but quirky in as good as it gets as Melvin Udall. Another character who creeped me out and played really well was Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes in Misery.

And Nurse Ratched. She was freakishly unemotional and cold but always looked like she was seething inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

Lorelli! wrote: »
    And Nurse Ratched. She was freakishly unemotional and cold but always looked like she was seething inside!

She was great in it! soooo cold and such a battleaxe biatch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Annie Wilkes in Misery was a great one. A sort of calm, "I'm not crazy" crazy bubbling right under the surface until she lets loose with a sledgehammer.... and then reverts back to the calm crazy bubbling underneath.

Lougarden wrote: »
    She was great in it! soooo cold and such a battleaxe biatch

I bet you wouldn't say that to her face :D The look she'd give you :/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭buried

Richard, Dead Mans Shoes

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Richard, Dead Mans Shoes

Great call, that's a fantastic movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

Heath Ledger - Joker is the best

Brad Pitt in Fight Club and he was quite good as Jeffrey in Twelve Monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Gary Oldman as Drexl/Stansfield in True Romance/Leon respectively. Both fantastic, especially the former - he was asked recently which character he'd like to go back to and he said Drexl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

Anton Chigurh from No Country For Old Men

Maybe not manic enough but definitely insane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Robert Carlisle as Begbie in Trainspotting. Absolute nut job.

Feck the sequel. I thought it was pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Christian Bale in American Psycho - the business card scene is equally hilarious and disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Cape-Fear.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

My list ranges from full blown insane to subtly unhinged...

Oscar Isaac as Nathan in Ex-Machina

Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes in Misery

Angelina Jolie as Lisa in Girl Interrupted

Steve Buscemi as Garland Green in Con Air

Sir Ben Kingsley as Don Logan in Sexy Beast

Jackie Earl Hayley as George Noyce in Shutter Island

Amon Goeth in Schindlers List. Not sure how true to life the film was but it's interesting. He seems able to be respectful and wants to impress Schindler yet he was capable of being so cruel to Helen. Schindler knows how to humour him and uses it to his advantage though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Max Zorin in A view to a kill .

Best Bond villian

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

O-Ren Ishii, gogo yubari and elle driver. Kill bill

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

Stephen the Irishman in Braveheart :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Tom hardy - Bronson

Advertisement