Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Christmas lights etiquette

Options
  • 05-12-2017 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭

I got the ol outdoor christmas lights put up today. Got some warm white led's hanging down from the guttering, and put some coloured led lights on a little connifer tree out on front lawn.

Questions questions though:

1. Is it to early to switch them on? - the rest of the village has them up and on, but there is a few good weeks to go until there is no room in the stable and i have waited in the past til around the 8th dec or thereabouts...

2. Will i / should i leave them on all night or turn them off before i go to bed?.,

3. I know this is personal preference i suppose ( or there could be a 'class' thing about it) but they have a flashing mode or a static on mode... What shall i use?

These are serious questions folks i dont want to be breaking the un-written code of outdoor christmas lights etiquette! ( and have the neighbours talking about me)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

( and have the neighbours talking about me)

This is all I am taking from this post

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I got the ol outdoor christmas lights put up today. Got some warm white led's hanging down from the guttering, and put some coloured led lights on a little connifer tree out on front lawn.

1. Is it to early to switch them on? - the rest of the village has them up and on, but there is a few good weeks to go until there is no room in the stable and i have waited in the past til around the 8th dec or thereabouts...

2. Will i / should i leave them on all night or turn them off before i go to bed?.,

3. I know this is personal preference i suppose ( or there could be a 'class' thing about it) but they have a flashing mode or a static on mode... What shall i use?

These are serious questions folks i dont want to be breaking the un-written code of outdoor christmas lights etiquette! ( and have the neighbours talking about me)

1. Yes. It'll always be too early.
    2. See answer above.
    3. See answer above the answer above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

A number of years ago a gentleman in dublin was denied planning permission for an extension due to objections by the neighbours. It being christmas he put enough lights on his house to be visible from mars and illuminate the neighbourhood for miles. Up in lights on the roof - "santa won't be coming here this xmas" but i digress.
    Now in regard to your specific query Andy I would have to say an absolute and emphatic Yes. And you can take that to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In the past it would have being considered to early but some people put them up and light them now. However most seem to wait until the 8th in my area.
    I would switch them off when you'd go to bed. You could get an automatic timer or some sets have a mode that will switch off after 6 hours.
    The setting you put them on is your personal choice. I generally prefer static. Flashing can be very hard to get right.(It might annoy some neigbhours)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

In the past it would have being considered to early but some people put them up and light them now. However most seem to wait until the 8th in my area.
    I would switch them off when you'd go to bed. You could get an automatic timer or some sets have a mode that will switch off after 6 hours.
    The setting you put them on is your personal choice. I generally prefer static. Flashing can be very hard to get right.(It might annoy some neigbhours)

At last, someone with sense replied haha :D

• Advertisement

Think a lot of people put them up for the late late toy show the other day that was in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

First Saturday in December. As it's written, so it shall be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Bah humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Think a lot of people put them up for the late late toy show the other day that was in it...

This really started in the last few years.
    Some might say it was because it was during the recession people were trying to brighten the place up a little.
    Another thing is a lot of people now with young kids will remember having the tree up for The Toy Show when they were kids but it used air around the 8th of December but they make the association of having the tree up for The Toy Show so they put it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

A lot of my neighbours have had them up the past 2 weeks. I am of the opinion that not before at least 8th of December is okay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Id say Friday be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Down to personal preference. Other people have them up in your town, so why not.
    In my view, only icicle lights could be left on, everything else off.
    Please, please.... Static only. Lit decorations ought to be tasteful and just the right amount. Too many a garden have I seen that looks like Woodies puked all over it. Absolutely nothing inflatable. Less is more and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

house_0-5a9e1ec1.jpeg?ver=1480809407&aspectratio=1.9220779220779

1 - Make it happen.

2 - Leave them on 24/7.

3 - Don't take them down til February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

When I go past houses lit up like Las Vegas I don't think 'what a great display of christmas spirit'. I think pretentious knob or keeping up with the Joneses. Or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Bob Harris wrote: »
    When I go past houses lit up like Las Vegas I don't think 'what a great display of christmas spirit'. I think pretentious knob or keeping up with the Joneses. Or both.

Unless they are doing it for charity, which a few of the bigger displays are set up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Do whatever you want op although if I was you I would turn them off when going to bed.

Some houses are tacky and over the top. There use to be to be a house that had mostly red and some blue lights in the garden where i grew up. My friend and i imagined it was like how a brothel must look in the Red Light District.

The worst thing I’ve seen is an outdoor garden display with a few reindeer and a present and other bits. You know, the rope lights ones. Well they must have been bought at different times in different shops as they are all shades of white.

It looks so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

The worst thing I’ve seen is an outdoor garden display with a few reindeer and a present and other bits. You know, the rope lights ones. Well they must have been bought at different times in different shops as they are all shades of white.

It looks so stupid.
    Probably couldn't afford them all on one go. Prefer to see that as I'd think it's an accumulation down the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

All the "disadvantaged" areas seem to have them on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Or cream cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Nail on head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Etiquette says: In 72 hours, you can go absolutely nuts and nobody can complain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Don't bother your bo!!ocks with outdoor lights.

It'll keep the neighbours from talking about you. And your gaff won't stand out as much, to the lads scoping out future targets to rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

after 1st of december its fair game. Put up as many lights as you want. Some of my neighbours had them up on the 1st november.

As for the light pattern, once its not going to induce an epileptic fit into anyone that passes then its ok.

I have mine on a gentle fade in and out.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Thats mine :D

.... No, not really :)

Probably couldn't afford them all on one go. Prefer to see that as I'd think it's an accumulation down the years.

I have 2 sets under the guttering one side is slightly lighter than the other. Not much but i can notice it (probably gonna bug me all christmas now i know)

Both bought from the same establishment, both warm white, one bought last year, one bought the other day. Both identical looking (apart from a very slightly different looking mains adaptor)

Ah well such is life. Should have bought them all at same time instead of penny pinching

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

DrPhilG wrote: »

1 - Make it happen.

2 - Leave them on 24/7.

3 - Don't take them down til February.

Ghastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ghastly.

You spelt awesome wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I know someone who lives near one of these displays.
    All very festive and joyful-most of the time.

Turn them off at 9.30 pm ish.
    Some people (kids) might be kept awake by the glare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

If they're flashing lights I would turn them off around 9 -9.30 or they could irritate neighbours.

Advertisement