Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pope weeps for not mentioning Rohingya in Myanmar

Options
  • 04-12-2017 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Pope disclosed that he wept when he met a group of Rohingya refugees on Friday in Bangladesh

That's just great after he didn't have the balls to say anything about the situation when in Myanmar.
    "I knew that if in the official speeches I would have used that word, they would have closed the door in our faces."

Nothing like a good cry to sort out world peace.

I'm sooooooo sorry.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Oldtree wrote:

Why? What did you do?

It's all Geldof's fault anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Why? What did you do?

Perhaps I was too obsequious with my combined overt sarcasm/TV reference about this ecumenical matter. This should clear it up for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oldtree wrote: »
    Perhaps I was too obsequious with my combined overt sarcasm/TV reference about this ecumenical matter. This should clear it up for you :)

]

That old reference is done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Still funny though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

This is boards.ie. It's all about repetition.

Why? What did you do?

Clearly new to Tell me how! ;)
    And oldie for sure, but a golden goodie.
    For some reason I never tire of Father Ted.
    Perhaps because it never ceases to be current.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I don't believe in God, can't stand organised religion and whatnot but I think he's a decent genuine person.

Can one of the world's leading cult leaders be a decent genuine person?

Oldtree wrote:
    Can one of the world's leading cult leaders be a decent genuine person?

Yup, I'm not sure I'd call the Catholic church a cult though, it's does create a lot of positivities for society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's just great after he didn't have the balls to say anything about the situation when in Myanmar.

Nothing like a good cry to sort out world peace.

I'm hardly a Holy Joe but it was a very delicate political situation and him speaking at that specific time and place out could have easily led to further attacks and deaths.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm not sure I'd call the Catholic church a cult though, it's does create a lot of positivities for society

It does, but you don't need to be brought up as a Catholic to be a good person.

I'm sure the church of scientology could also claim to create a lot of positives for society with their good works, but the good works by both always come with the "message".

I'm hardly a Holy Joe but it was a very delicate political situation and him speaking at that specific time and place out could have easily led to further attacks and deaths.

So Shhhhh, say nothing about the multitude of attacks and deaths that have already occurred? So he did a kinda 'turn the other cheek' thing?

Oldtree wrote:
    It does, but you don't need to be brought up as a Catholic to be a good person.

Of course not, but I still stand by my statement, I'm atheist myself
    Oldtree wrote:
    I'm sure the church of scientology could also claim to create a lot of positives for society with their good works, but the good works by both always come with the "message".

It's clearly obvious that scientology is a cult, in fact I'd say it's actually a ponzi scheme that preys on the vulnerable, yes yes, I know, you could kinna say the same about the Catholic church, but don't forget, scientology is a relatively new thing, Catholicism isn't. It was created to give meaning, yes I know, some could say the same about scientology, but it's clearly obvious, to me anyway, it's just a ponzi scam. I have seen Catholicism help people, bring positivity to their lives, of course there will always be the negative things

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's clearly obvious that scientology is a cult, in fact I'd say it's actually a ponzi scheme that preys on the vulnerable, yes yes, I know, you could kinna say the same about the Catholic church, but don't forget, scientology is a relatively new thing, Catholicism isn't. It was created to give meaning, yes I know, some could say the same about scientology, but it's clearly obvious, to me anyway, it's just a ponzi scam. I have seen Catholicism help people, bring positivity to their lives, of course there will always be the negative things

Well no. Scientology was specifically created to make money.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I don't believe in God, can't stand organised religion and whatnot but I think he's a decent genuine person.

Oh yea. But when your predecessor was a f*cking Nazi Youth then you'd have to do something goddamn awful to be any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oh yea. But when your predecessor was a f*cking Nazi Youth then you'd have to do something goddamn awful to be any worse.

that was probably the least bad thing about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Aaaannnndddd ...3 ...2...1...
    Godwin!

So Shhhhh, say nothing about the multitude of attacks and deaths that have already occurred? So he did a kinda 'turn the other cheek' thing?

Well if saying something about it there and then is going to spark more attacks, then yeah, it's probably better in that time and place to turn the other cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Did you ever actually read up on that yourself? Cos what you're saying is pretty stupid to anyone who knows the slightest bit on the topic.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Aaaannnndddd ...3 ...2...1...
    Godwin!

Do you even know what Godwin's Law actually is?
    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1"

I did not compare anyone to Hitler.

I merely pointed out factual statement that Pope Benedict XVI was, in fact, a Hitler Youth.
    c_man wrote: »
    Did you ever actually read up on that yourself? Cos what you're saying is pretty stupid to anyone who knows the slightest bit on the topic.

Ara jaysis. Don't get your panties in a twist there.

As an atheist I'm surprised that you don't see catholicism and it's many counterparts as cults. It is just a well organised superstition that extracts money after all. You are looking at an ancient ponzi scheme.

Have you seen any atheists bring positivity into people's lives? People are fundamentally good and do not need a doctrine to be made into good people.

Well if saying something about it there and then is going to spark more attacks, then yeah, it's probably better in that time and place to turn the other cheek.

Did it prevent further attacks? No......
    Just cow towed to a regime for "fear of the door being shut".

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

But the poster wasnt comparing him to his predecessor so I am not sure whether this point is relevant.

Oldtree wrote:
    Have you seen any atheists bring positivity into people's lives? People are fundamentally good and do not need a doctrine to be made into good people.

Agree. But religions can provide a framework for nurturing a community spirit as well as a support during difficult times.

Agree. But religions can provide a framework for nurturing a community spirit as well as a support during difficult times.

I don't think the pope did either in this instance, do you?

Edit: and I cannot but cast a cynical eye on the subsequent "weeping"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

As long as everyone in the community has the same beliefs of course

Oldtree wrote:
    I don't think the pope did either in this instance, do you?

Edit: and I cannot but cast a cynical eye on the subsequent "weeping"

But how much can one person/figure do in one situation. He cannot fix all things with the flick of his wrist, does that mean he is a failure?

What is a realistic level of achievement you think any such figure has the power to deliver?

As for the cynical eye, that's your eye and your cynicism. Maybe it's coming from a place of negativity.

I'm not an avid Catholic and its probably more accurate to class myself as non-practising but I do feel that Pope Francis generally portrays a sense of love and support towards his fellow human beings and as a figurehead of an organization such as the Catholic church, that is a good thing. I don't expect him to be able fix all the problems of the world.

mordeith wrote:
    As long as everyone in the community has the same beliefs of course

Not necessarily. Yes when it is hijacked by authoritarians, (of which there are plenty in all religions) but the central tennant which I think most religions profess are love, suppport, kindness and understanding.

How is that a bad thing? It's when the authoritarians gain a foothold, things start to go awry.

• Advertisement

Did it prevent further attacks? No......
    Just cow towed to a regime for "fear of the door being shut".

You can't possibly know that. For most people the risk of sparking off further attacks and deaths by making what would be seen as an inflammatory public proclamation is one not worth taking.

Advertisement