Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which event would you prevent from happening?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Save an airplane of a few hundred people from crashing in the ocean.
    DivingDuck wrote: »
    I can see the logic. Would you want to live knowing that for you to live, hundreds or thousands had to die? I probably would, but I'm a bit of a selfish prick.

A more moral person might find that hard to live with— or at the very least, feel like it was a hell of a lot of pressure to live a good life and have been "worth" saving.

I'd have no problem at all, it might even make me feel a bit more cherished :)

Do you feel guilty about living in a first world country, knowing you could rescue someone from a dehumanising life in some despicable part of the world by swapping places? All you have to do is buy a ticket, land somewhere, pick the most pathetic person you can find and sign everything over to them.

More or less the same, meh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd swap World War 2 era Stalin with Rasputin, make him dawn of Soviet era leader would be pretty ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Save an airplane of a few hundred people from crashing in the ocean.
    Do you feel guilty about living in a first world country, knowing you could rescue someone from a dehumanising life in some despicable part of the world by swapping places? All you have to do is buy a ticket, land somewhere, pick the most pathetic person you can find and sign everything over to them.

I do a bit, but not enough to do that! (Bit of a prick, as advertised.)

It's hypocritical of us in the Western World that we wouldn't all sacrifice the many random strangers for the solo friend since that's what we're all doing just by living our lives, but human brains are a funny thing.

There's huge cognitive dissonance around the whole area of "I could make things better for someone else by undertaking this course of action" versus "I have made things worse for someone else by undertaking this course of action". They basically amount to the same thing, but you'll find most people feel worse about taking action than not taking action, because they feel more "responsible" if they directly intervene.

It's a bit like the Trolley Problem. The whole area of moral psychology is quite fascinating, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

I think it's a saying in the U.K. news industry 1 British life is worth 5 French lives who are worth 50 middle eastern lives talking news worthiness to there local readership/viewership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

You guys need ****tier friends. That solves this moral dilemma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

My best friend is a cat so I won't be choosing that option.

Advertisement