Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MYOB?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd very rarely say anything if it wasn't directly affecting me but do I recall being advised to mind my own effing business by a young lady one night when I pointed out to her that her long over-coat was hanging over her saddle and completely obscuring her rear light.

I sometimes point out to cyclists when their rear lights are obscured by paniers or such.

I have also once or twice accosted a cyclist with a red light on the front :eek: to point out the danger that poses to them. I don't think it's made any difference, I still see one or two of them from time to time...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

just was curious about where other cyclists decide the line exists between saying something and not saying something.
    Around 5 foot 8 or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

e.g. this evening, i tapped on a window of a car to let a driver (who was facing a red light) know that she had unwittingly rolled forward onto a pedestrian crossing - without realising as she was too busy chatting to her friend.

Why would you even bother? They obviously drove and was aware of there surroundings. Maybe the car rolled a bit. You're probably go around looking for people making 'mistakes'. Don't think it's good for our image.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'll let someone know if they have no lights on in the dark, and maybe pop out a folded mirror if it's there. But I'm also reluctant to get involved at the same time. Someone at a set of lights had their mirror folded in, I just pushed it back into position and it spun around completely. The mirror was fecked. Queue driver shouting etc. I just shrugged my shoulders and slowly rolled up to the stop line. In one sense, I probably shouldn't have touched it. But they shouldn't have been driving without a working mirror... so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

As a rash youth, I used to regularly draft buses going up Gardiner Street until a motorist pulled me in one evening. He admired my bike, explained that he was a cyclist himself and that a good buddy of his had been killed drafting a lorry after it stopped suddenly. I thanked him for the advice and have pretty well taken it ever since.

He went out of his way to not MHOB and I'm grateful for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Don't think it's good for our image.
    i do it when driving too and it's never once crossed my mind that i'm damaging the image of motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

i do it when driving too and it's never once crossed my mind that i'm damaging the image of motorists.

That's because in that case you're a motorist and they never make mistakes! There's no doubt that cyclists in some cases don't have the best image. You don't have to look too far in the media to see this. Motorists get away with more because they are the majority.
    I try and get on with everyone on the road. No point being pedantic about every little issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lumen wrote: »
    Almost nobody likes being told what to do.

You're so right. I shouted at a girl cycling up the inside of a cement truck that was (really obviously) turning left in to a building site. She stopped, avoided getting mangled and told me to shut up!
    Lumen wrote: »
    Touching cars is bad, particularly with women driving them. HGVs not really.

You're so right again!! I've told this before... I politely knocked on the window of a driver of a nice old merc, it was pitch dark in heavy traffic, he rolled down the window about 2mm and said "what the fooks your problem? I said "you've no lights on" He rolled the window up, turned on his lights and stared straight ahead whilst slightly shaking his head from side to side!

Roadside advice from cyclist is not appreciated! Even if it's genuine!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Are we colourblind?
    • Yer a ninja mate
    • WAKEY WAKEY (@Zombie Peds)
    • Would you ever put down the phone ya c%*$

Advertisement