Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible traveller site at Applewood Swords?

Options
  • 29-11-2017 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, just noticed loads of caravans parked at unused space at the old factory(?) at the corner of Balheary Rd vis a vis St Colmcilles GAA Club.
    Can some one share some light on this, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dzwx wrote: »
    Hi, just noticed loads of caravans parked at unused space at the old factory(?) at the corner of Balheary Rd vis a vis St Colmcilles GAA Club.
    Can some one share some light on this, thanks.

Yep they were moved on from Donabate apparently on Sunday and moved into the old Motorola site on Applewood Avenue straight after. Gannon homes own the land and apparently went to court today to get a moving order. Seems like they will be moved on pretty quickly. All Northern Reg's seems to be a good 20 or so Caravans there when I drove past today.

This is just what I heard from a friend who lives in Southbank just across the way, cannot guarantee its 100% accurate, but its likely not too far from the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Approx 14 caravans plus one motorhome, mix of Northern reg and Southern reg cars/vans. They were moved from the access road adjacent to the Southbound M50 slip at Donabate at sometime Tuesday morning, and arrived on the former Celistica factory car-park at approx 2130 Tuesday evening.

According to the security lads that have been there since last night after the concrete barriers arrived (and are a continued presence to prevent further arrivals), they will be leaving on Friday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Saw that yesterday am, some very flash motors there too.
    Are there any halting sites locally though?
    Hard to criticise them if they have nowhere "legit" to go

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

RobFowl wrote: »

one over between baldoyle and portmarnock. mind you the residents there have managed to wreck the place and turn it in to a tip even though fingal did alot of work on it last year

RobFowl wrote: »

NIMBY! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They were in Balbriggan a few weeks ago up at A.I.B nearly all U.K and Northern reg vehicles. Moved on within 48 hours.

There needs to be designated hard areas where they can stop. Some around NCD have been ok just wheelin and dealin but others have created mayhem and destroyed places where they have pulled in especially green patchs. Cant understand why their S/W is not stopped (if they are in receipt of S/W) when they do wreck a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Passed them the other day when I was out walking the dog.
    What struck me was all the UK Reg vehicles they have.
    Do they not have to pay VRT like anybody else who imports a car from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

PWEI wrote: »
    Do they not have to pay VRT like anybody else who imports a car from the UK?

Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Do they not have to pay VRT like anybody else who imports a car from the UK?
    What makes you think they have imported their vehicles? They are more than likely resident in the UK and are travelling here. I'm not sure if the rules have changed but if you are only required to re-register a vehicle if you spend more than 6 months of any year in the ROI. There are plenty of settled people driving around in UK registered vehicles.

They are more than likely resident in the UK and are travelling here. .

So they're on their holidays here then??

I doubt very much they are resident in the UK as then they wouldn't be entitled to social welfare here which is more generous than the UK Social Welfare.
    If they are getting social welfare here they are resident here & should also pay VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So they're on their holidays here then??

I doubt very much they are resident in the UK as then they wouldn't be entitled to social welfare here which is more generous than the UK Social Welfare.
    If they are getting social welfare here they are resident here & should also pay VRT.

Might be on their way to rathkeale?

And they are gone as of sometime today, didn't take long.

I drove by earlier on & they're gone now.
    They left the place in a mess with rubbish everywhere.
    The rats will have a field day

I drove by earlier on & they're gone now.
    They left the place in a mess with rubbish everywhere.
    The rats will have a field day

Aye I noted what an amazing mess they managed to make in the space of just 3/4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

But apparently it’s a small minority of travellers that give them all a bad name :rolleyes: yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....I doubt very much they are resident in the UK as then they wouldn't be entitled to social welfare here.....
    What makes you think they are getting Social Welfare here?

Walked the dog around where they were ‘camped’ this morning. Crap strewn everywhere, bin bags of rubbish in the bushes, evidence of a couple of fires/bonfires and just adjacent to the old house (so a bit away from where the caravans where) there is what appears to be a tip of some description with tyres, furniture, kids toys etc etc.

In addition to which they supposedly left a dog behind...the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Gatster are you genuinely surprised? That’s the standard MO of travellers the length and breadth of the country!

Homer wrote: »
    Gatster are you genuinely surprised? That’s the standard MO of travellers the length and breadth of the country!

Aye I stayed a a campsite at Westport house over the summer, and there was a Traveller family staying there as well, when they left they just left all their rubbish, from their week long stay, strewn around the area they pitched on, clearly this is deemed acceptable behaviour.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MichaelM1983

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has information on who to approach about the 20 plus caravans that have set up a camp site in the field across from the Gym in Applewood. They seem to be operating a pretty substantial commercial dumping operation from there. Approx. 20 vans leave the site and return at various times during the day to dump waste which then gets burned at night. This has happened on a nightly basis since last Wednesday 16th May.

Just wondering who is the best person to report it too? Has anyone any experience of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MichaelM1983

Hi All;

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

A group of approx. 20 or traveller families set up a camp in the field across from the Gym in Applewoood last Tuesday 15th May. A gate had been put as an entry point for some workers who were doing work on the ESB cables in the field a number of months back.
    I assume the travellers broke the lock and used this a point to enter the field (although I can not confirm this as I did not see it happen, maybe they obtained permission from the owners of the field to gain entry).

The travellers seem to be operating a pretty substantial commercial dumping operation in this field which consists of approx 20 vans or so heading off in the morning and returning throughout the day to dump commercial waste in the bushes as the back of the field. The waste is then burned in the evening. This has happened on a nightly basis since last Wednesday.

I have contacted the Gardai about the dumping and the antisocial behavior but they seem reluctant to engage, in fairness to the Gardai, they did go down and have a look from outside the field. I appreciate their hands are probably tied.

Looking for a bit of guidance from anyone with experience of this in the past?

Cheers.
    Mick

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has information on who to approach about the 20 plus caravans that have set up a camp site in the field across from the Gym in Applewood. They seem to be operating a pretty substantial commercial dumping operation from there. Approx. 20 vans leave the site and return at various times during the day to dump waste which then gets burned at night. This has happened on a nightly basis since last Wednesday 16th May.

Just wondering who is the best person to report it too? Has anyone any experience of this?
    Saw them  yesterday afternoon and wondered when they had arrived as I usually cut through that field as part of my running route. Not sure who owns that parcel of land, I don't think it's Gannon, as he just owns the other side. 

There's differing versions of how he got them to leave...I reckon in addition to the moving order he threatened to box them in and prevent them from leaving, which seems to be the way forward as if they can't leave the site they can't operate their 'waste disposal' business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Hey all, Just wondering if anyone has information on who to approach about the 20 plus caravans that have set up a camp site in the field across from the Gym in Applewood. They seem to be operating a pretty substantial commercial dumping operation from there. Approx. 20 vans leave the site and return at various times during the day to dump waste which then gets burned at night. This has happened on a nightly basis since last Wednesday 16th May.

I reckon that Clare Daly TD or Louise O'Reilly TD would be your best bets. They both really care about public health and would be appalled at the risk to their constituents' health from inhaling toxic emissions from unauthorised fires.

Hey all,

Fingal County Council environment department.
    They have a hotline for the illegal burning of waster;

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/environment/waste-and-recycling/burning-waste-and-bonfires/

I tried to ring them about this already but couldn't get through so I emailed them.

That particular site was sold a few years back & a local Councilor raised concerns about what was going to be developed there.

Hey all,

Fingal County Council environment department.
    They have a hotline for the illegal burning of waster;

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/environment/waste-and-recycling/burning-waste-and-bonfires/

I tried to ring them about this already but couldn't get through so I emailed them.

That particular site was sold a few years back & a local Councilor raised concerns about what was going to be developed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

I got through FCC's environment department.
    They weren't aware this was going on & are sending an enforcement officer down to the site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I got through FCC's environment department.
    They weren't aware this was going on & are sending an enforcement officer down to the site now.

Good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The staff involved will be wearing stab vests during that site visit. Best of luck to them, it amazes me that council staff do it for the money they're on!

Advertisement