Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled people in prisons

Options
  • 28-11-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

just been sitting here, should have been concentrating on the programme on TV but you know your sitting there and something daft comes into your head well something daft came into my head.

What happens if a person who is in a wheelchair is given a prison sentence - how do they get on? .. or say if they have MS or something , or say if they are terminally ill or something or got cancer or something? ...

They dont surely go to 'normal prison' do they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Don’t think terminally ill people go to prison, Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I knew a lad who got away with everything in the 80's cause Mountjoy had no ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I would guess that any really sick prisoners would have a hospital prison or normal hospital to go to.

any disabled prisoner should be treated the same. but surely prisons are designed for wheelchairs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What happens if a person who is in a wheelchair is given a prison sentence -

They're not sent to prison, they just clamp the wheelchair

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

just been sitting here, should have been concentrating on the programme on TV but you know your sitting there and something daft comes into your head well something daft came into my head.

What happens if a person who is in a wheelchair is given a prison sentence - how do they get on? .. or say if they have MS or something , or say if they are terminally ill or something or got cancer or something? ...

I presume there are designated disabled parking spaces, ramps, Doc M Pack jacks and level entry showers. I don't know. Ask Oscar Pistorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

I would guess that any really sick prisoners would have a hospital prison or normal hospital to go to.

any disabled prisoner should be treated the same. but surely prisons are designed for wheelchairs

Not so. Graham Dwyer is as sick as they come yet he's in a "normal" prison right?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pawdee wrote: »
    Not so. Graham Dwyer is as sick as they come yet he's in a "normal" prison right?

Arbour Hill is not a "normal" prison.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yeah ramps and disabled toilets and showers the like - they wouldnt be in normal prisons surely . The prisons are supposed to be overcrowded as is and have the toilets in the cell and 2 or 3 prisoners sharing a cell.

Where are the 'prison hospitals' in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Watch Oz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

They're not sent to prison, they just clamp the wheelchair

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/homeless-man-who-killed-friend-by-knocking-him-under-bus-in-dublin-city-to-be-sent-for-rehabilitation-in-england-30645713.html

The deaf homeless guy who killed his friend was held on remand in Mountjoy but his trial heard he might be sent to the UK for treatment

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has somebody being watching Fair City?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I assume at least somebody has, or they wouldn't keep making it.

haha funny enough ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

House arrest is a thing, generally only reserved for those who can't be accommodated in any of the prisons. The number of cases is low, like low double digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Mountjoy will take prisoners in wheelchairs.

Mountjoy will take prisoners in wheelchairs.

thats nice :) - do the people with physical disabilities get the care and attention they need in prison?

What am I saying, normally a person with disability at home will get half hour to hour of home help (if they are lucky) - more than likely will get better care and all mod cons if they were in prison!

Planning a few wheel-bys, Andy?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

im pretty intrigued about all this now - i want need to know more , its gonna bug me know if I dont grasp what happens to physically disabled and terminally ill people who have been sentenced to a custodial sentence how they get on in prison because they must be just as capable of committing a crime as an able bodied person ... but what happens to them if they have to be locked up? - I see when I do a search it says about people in prison with Mental Disability and there is a lot of info on that but I cannot see anything about physical disabilities and if the prisons are 'modified' to accept physical disabled prisoners. But there must be such scenarios.

BTW in the UK it is often said that you are a guest of "Her Majesties Pleasure" - what do they say over here in Ireland?

im pretty intrigued about all this now - i want need to know more , its gonna bug me know if I dont grasp what happens to physically disabled and terminally ill people who have been sentenced to a custodial sentence how they get on in prison because they must be just as capable of committing a crime as an able bodied person ... but what happens to them if they have to be locked up? - I see when I do a search it says about people in prison with Mental Disability and there is a lot of info on that but I cannot see anything about physical disabilities and if the prisons are 'modified' to accept physical disabled prisoners. But there must be such scenarios.

BTW in the UK it is often said that you are a guest of "Her Majesties Pleasure" - what do they say over here in Ireland?

The deaf guy I mentioned above spent 23 hours a day locked up in Mountjoy

I thought "at her Majesty's pleasure" meant a sentence of indeterminate length?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I thought "at her Majesty's pleasure" meant a sentence of indeterminate length?

ah right - i thought it was for all prisoners < source: Porridge LOL :D >

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There was a terminally ill inmate here in NZ recently that got released after 6 months of a 38 month sentence on compassion grounds. I think she lasted about 4-6 months after release before passing away.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11856757

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I assume at least somebody has, or they wouldn't keep making it.

Ass-u-me nothing, it is RTE who are making it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where are the 'prison hospitals' in Ireland?
    I imagine each (main) prison will have a hospital ward.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

As Seamus said, people can be released from prison to “house arrest” of sorts if they’re terminally ill, they may be sent home or to a hospice. To the best of my knowledge they won’t be guarded 24/7 but are under some form of supervision from probation services.

Community Palliative Care teams can and do visit prisons if someone is terminally ill and cannot be sent home for some reason, Palliative and end of life care can be delivered in any setting.

Advertisement