Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 218 - Holloway v Aldo 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Max going in as favourite but I think it could a lot closer than people think.
    I hope Reem and Magana get wrecked.

I think Max will win but his price is way too short. Aldo is huge value at the current prices. This always happens, long term champ/hero loses, and gets repriced way too short.

I think I'm gonna have to begrudgingly back Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

It's goes the same way as the first one for me, have a hunch holloway might even finish aldo sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

This is a cracker of a card. Really feels like an old throwback card almost. The new era where the blockbuster 3 title fight cards are great and all, but it feels like a type of card we'd get back in 2010/2011, with the title fight main event, two number one contender fights (Overeem v Ngannou, Pettis vs Cejudo) and the guaranteed barnbuner of a fight (Alvarez v Gaethje) thrown in for good meausre. Cant wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Rematch for the belt is uninteresting to me. Ngannou-Ubereem is a very interesting fight with probable fireworks. I am going to pick Overeem by stoppage late and will pick Eddie Alvarez to KO Gaethje. Gaethje is probably the most exciting fighter in MMA but he abandons his wrestling and gets hit clean and often. I like Alvarez to catch him early in an exchange and get the KO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Reem is too crafty for Big Fran I think, Fran could break his skull but Im surprised Reem is such an underdog here, Aldo is finished dont care if he won 2 rounds last time Holloway improves every fight it will be a violent tko. Pettis will school Henry Cejudo different level striker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cracking fight card. Looking forward to this more than i was for 217

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Gaethje is probably the most exciting fighter in MMA but he abandons his wrestling and gets hit clean and often.

You could literally say this exact same thing about Eddie. He's saying in interviews that he doesn't give a f*ck about game-plan for this fight. It's gonna be a messy brawl and I think it'll be purely down to whoever is tougher, and I got Gaethje for that. If Johnson can't put away Gaethje then I see even less of a chance that Eddie can.

Any polls for this thread no?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah shyteballs, I forgot the poll and can no longer edit the op. Shame shame shaaaame :(

Overeem is going to beat NGannou surely? I know NGannou has a solid punch, incredible punch but I just dont see him landing on OVereem. Overeem is just to experienced for him I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Overeem is going to beat NGannou surely? I know NGannou has a solid punch, incredible punch but I just dont see him landing on OVereem. Overeem is just to experienced for him I reckon.

Overeem gets tagged every fight and his jaw is like glass. I see Overeem being hesitant to engage for fear of getting tagged but NGannou will connect early and it's lights out.

• Advertisement

ngannou is the real deal imo, overeem won't be engaging too much and if ngannou comes forward it'll be lights out for overeem

eddie justin for me is the hardest fight to call, put a gun to my head and I'll say eddie on pts if it goes the distance, justin gets hit far too much, he's great to
    watch but he's a walking punchbag.

mailburner wrote: »
    he's a walking punchbag.

And Eddie isnt? he gets dropped fight.. I'd trust Justins chin more tbh.

Gamebred wrote: »
    And Eddie isnt? he gets dropped fight.. I'd trust Justins chin more tbh.

so would I but justin will probably get hit a lot more and apart from the conor ko eddie's only been knocked out once since 2003.
    I think eddie can win this if he doesn't get involved in a brawl which probably won't be easy.

mailburner wrote: »
    so would I but justin will probably get hit a lot more and apart from the conor ko eddie's only been knocked out once since 2003.
    I think eddie can win this if he doesn't get involved in a brawl which probably won't be easy.

He wont out wrestle Justin if thats his plan, Gaetjhe has excellent wrassling just doesn't bother using it, my expectations are so high for this fight to be a war I sense im gonna be let down for some reason.

Gamebred wrote: »
    He wont out wrestle Justin if thats his plan, Gaetjhe has excellent wrassling just doesn't bother using it, my expectations are so high for this fight to be a war I sense im gonna be let down for some reason.

justin ko round three or eddie pts would be my guess (12s+4s)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rematch for the belt is uninteresting to me.

I felt as much, until I was the countdown/embedded videos. It's raised lots of interesting points for me.
    You could literally say this exact same thing about Eddie. He's saying in interviews that he doesn't give a f*ck about game-plan for this fight. It's gonna be a messy brawl and I think it'll be purely down to whoever is tougher, and I got Gaethje for that. If Johnson can't put away Gaethje then I see even less of a chance that Eddie can.

John isn't a power puncher and he had Gaethje on jelly legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Eddie and overeem double is about 7/1.

Could be a good bet. Gaethje (?) and Ngannou are arguably making a big step up in competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Add Aldo into that and it's up to 25/1.

I fear father time has come for José though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Cejudo vs Pettis I reckon is FOTN

The obvious choice is Eddie vs Justin or Overeem vs Francis but Cejudo vs Pettis is a very interesting match up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Cejudo vs Pettis I reckon is FOTN

The obvious choice is Eddie vs Justin or Overeem vs Francis but Cejudo vs Pettis is a very interesting match up

I think Cejudo will mail him. His striking has come on massively but I think he'll be going back to the wrestling for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I like the Felder Vs olivera fight to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

D.Q wrote: »
    Eddie and overeem double is about 7/1.

Could be a good bet. Gaethje (?) and Ngannou are arguably making a big step up in competition.

That is very appealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Emotional Aldo needs towel to make weight. Unemotional Holloway needs towel (and Justin Gaethje!) also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Both of them looking pretty terrible there

Yeah but it's their own doing. I feel lightweight would be a perfect weight class for Max and I think he will move up in the next 2 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus Christ, the both of them look like skeletons with wax thrown over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Holloway is only just about to turn 26 too. That weight is only going to get harder to cut add he gets older.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Holloway was a LW before he joined the UFC too. He was much bigger than too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Wheres the poll ?

• Advertisement

Magana-Cooper are headlining the fight pass prelims. I can only assume that's because Magana got a bit of exposure when Cyborg punched her, no such thing as bad publicity I guess...

Advertisement