Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My 6th year study log

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 naomi powers

Irish was okay. I didnt put in a lot of effort but I think I can get a H6. When I saw the questions for the poem and story I didnt even bother but the comprehensions and play question were okay.
    Biology was an okay paper overall but the questions were worded weirdly. I think i got lucky because I didnt go over the big chapter like sexual reproduction in humans and plants and everyone thought they would come up but they didnt even come up. I'm just disappointed in myself because I made so many stupid mistakes that could have been avoided if I paid more attention to my answers and didnt change them last minute. At this stage I dont think I could have gotten more than a H3 because I had right answers crossed out and replaced with wrong answers so that means 0 marks. I considered it to be my best subject and I was aiming for a H1 :(

So I'm done the LC now and i'm so glad to be done studying for now but I dont know what to do with myself anymore. The rest of the exams were okay (Spanish, Ag science and Chemistry). I think I did well overall and I'm quite proud of myself tbh. I'll check back in on august 15th with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Please do!
    I’m interested in getting high course too like pharmacy or something and for someone like you goig for medicine and you’re so calm about it gives me a bit of inspiration!
    Well done :)

I figured I would do a final post here before I head off to college. So I got my results and I'm proud of myself because I know that I tried my best. I got a H2 in biology, H3 in ag science and and Spanish and maths, H4 in English and chemistry and H5 in Irish. Overall i got 476 points and I couldn't be happier. Obviously I didn't get enough points for medicine and I don't really mind as I didn't do as well as I thought I would in the HPAT either. I picked the medical health and sciences course in cork and the medical science course in gmit. I'm still debating between the 2 as I think I got enough points for both of them. I can't bring myself to retry the HPAT or repeat the LC so I'm happy to do graduate medicine. I also applied abroad so I'm considering taking the offer there as well. Everything is up in the air at the moment. I'm glad that I picked those courses because they're not too far off from medicine like biomedical science or nursing and it's seems like something I would like to try.
    Thanks to everyone who encouraged me and commented on the study log. It really did help and I'm just happy that I can move on from from secondary school to college.
    If anyone has any questions feel free to leave them below and I'll try and answer them as best as I can.

I figured I would do a final post here before I head off to college. So I got my results and I'm proud of myself because I know that I tried my best. I got a H2 in biology, H3 in ag science and and Spanish and maths, H4 in English and chemistry and H5 in Irish. Overall i got 476 points and I couldn't be happier. Obviously I didn't get enough points for medicine and I don't really mind as I didn't do as well as I thought I would in the HPAT either. I picked the medical health and sciences course in cork and the medical science course in gmit. I'm still debating between the 2 as I think I got enough points for both of them. I can't bring myself to retry the HPAT or repeat the LC so I'm happy to do graduate medicine. I also applied abroad so I'm considering taking the offer there as well. Everything is up in the air at the moment. I'm glad that I picked those courses because they're not too far off from medicine like biomedical science or nursing and it's seems like something I would like to try.
    Thanks to everyone who encouraged me and commented on the study log. It really did help and I'm just happy that I can move on from from secondary school to college.
    If anyone has any questions feel free to leave them below and I'll try and answer them as best as I can.

Omg well done !! That’s so good!
    So if you do that course is there a way for you to go into medicine if you have the right grades ?
    Also any study tips for maths I really want to get a H3!

• Advertisement

Sb567 wrote: »
    Omg well done !! That’s so good!
    So if you do that course is there a way for you to go into medicine if you have the right grades ?
    Also any study tips for maths I really want to get a H3!
    Yeah I'm thinking if I do really well in the course and the research project in the last year I can do the gmsat and do medicine in ucd or ucc. It's an interesting course and I think it's a better undergraduate degree to have than biomedical science if you're doing graduate medicine.
    I really struggled with maths up until about April when I started going to grinds. I failed the mocks and I was barely scraping a pass in class tests. The grinds really did help me as well as my amazing teacher who gave up her free time during weekends to do extra classes when I came close to the exams. I don't really have any specific tips but I recommend going over your notes for a topic and doing every single question that ever came up about that topic back to back. If you don't get it the first time look at the marking scheme and learn from your mistakes. The trick is to know the marking scheme off or find your own way to answer the question and get the right answer. Also read the questions carefully or you'll end up wasting time that you can't get back during both papers. I honestly don't know how I managed to get the H3 i would have been happy with a H4 and I'm still in shock 😂
    I'm just wondering do you have a grinds teacher? Because my grinds teacher was soooo helpful and I could give you his name and number if you live in or around Dublin.

Yeah I'm thinking if I do really well in the course and the research project in the last year I can do the gmsat and do medicine in ucd or ucc. It's an interesting course and I think it's a better undergraduate degree to have than biomedical science if you're doing graduate medicine.
    I really struggled with maths up until about April when I started going to grinds. I failed the mocks and I was barely scraping a pass in class tests. The grinds really did help me as well as my amazing teacher who gave up her free time during weekends to do extra classes when I came close to the exams. I don't really have any specific tips but I recommend going over your notes for a topic and doing every single question that ever came up about that topic back to back. If you don't get it the first time look at the marking scheme and learn from your mistakes. The trick is to know the marking scheme off or find your own way to answer the question and get the right answer. Also read the questions carefully or you'll end up wasting time that you can't get back during both papers. I honestly don't know how I managed to get the H3 i would have been happy with a H4 and I'm still in shock 😂
    I'm just wondering do you have a grinds teacher? Because my grinds teacher was soooo helpful and I could give you his name and number if you live in or around Dublin.

Ohhh that sounds really good is that a new course in cork ?
    And no I’m from cork thanks though but I was thinking of getting friends from September on !
    Thanks for the advice I’ll definitely follow it a lot of people told me get the book where it has all the marking schemes done out in detail so i migjt do that!

Last little update before I put this whole leaving cert behind me. 
    I got an offer to to medical health and science in UCC but i didn't accept it because I got accepted to study medicine abroad in the college I applied to in Europe. I wont say where I am but it's a very good university and everything is in english. Currently I'm in my accommodation which is very nice and modern and will be starting my lectures next week. I'm just going to focus on making friends and settling in this week. Once again, thanks to anyone who had an interest in my journey or followed it. I wish everyone who has entered 5th or 6th year the best and I hope you all do well. Just remember to take it easy and work hard from now so that you won't have to stress yourself with cramming a few weeks before the exams. Also, balance is everything so find your balance between work and play because if you work yourself up too much, will burn out before christmas. GOOD LUCK!!!!:):heart:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Last little update before I put this whole leaving cert behind me. 
    I got an offer to to medical health and science in UCC but i didn't accept it because I got accepted to study medicine abroad in the college I applied to in Europe. I wont say where I am but it's a very good university and everything is in english. Currently I'm in my accommodation which is very nice and modern and will be starting my lectures next week. I'm just going to focus on making friends and settling in this week. Once again, thanks to anyone who had an interest in my journey or followed it. I wish everyone who has entered 5th or 6th year the best and I hope you all do well. Just remember to take it easy and work hard from now so that you won't have to stress yourself with cramming a few weeks before the exams. Also, balance is everything so find your balance between work and play because if you work yourself up too much, will burn out before christmas. GOOD LUCK!!!!:):heart:

Wow! Congratulations! Honestly your log has been really helpful throughout fifth year in just knowing what will be coming up this year. Good luck on your course.

jeonahr wrote: »
    Wow! Congratulations! Honestly your log has been really helpful throughout fifth year in just knowing what will be coming up this year. Good luck on your course.
    hi! Just checked back in after 9 months by chance. How’s the leaving going for you? And what courses did You put down on your CAO?
    I’m almost done my second semester of med school and for the most part it’s been great😅. It’s stressful at times with the amount of work I have to put in but it’s what I signed up for so I’m not complaining too much😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement