Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female referee for mens rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Meh. Sure on Star Trek they made "sir" just a gender neutral mark of respect.

For some reason mam sounds like you’re talking to your mammy, especially in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Welcome to 1917, OP. The rest of us are living in the 21st century...

From what I can see, one poster has agreed with you. Sure, I suppose every town has its idiot....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

exaisle wrote: »
    Welcome to 1917, OP. The rest of us are living in the 21st century...

From what I can see, one poster has agreed with you. Sure, I suppose every town has its idiot....

I don't see any agreement.

The most vaguely supportive comment was me saying that as long as they pass the same fitness tests as male referees (which are stringent and not particularly easy) it's only a good thing.

I hope you don't read this to mean I agree with the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

panda100 wrote: »
    Ha! Do you really think so little of women's athleticism that you don't think they could keep up with men while refereeing? Have you seen the size of some of the umpires at GAA matches???

Women often seem to have lower physical fitness requirements for jobs.
    Unless you think women can't meet the same physical fitness requirements as men I don't see why you would object to them being subject to the same requirements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

exaisle wrote: »
    Dial back on the "idiot" stuff. People are allowed have opinions, attack the opinion, not the poster .

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    Ha! Do you really think so little of women's athleticism that you don't think they could keep up with men while refereeing? Have you seen the size of some of the umpires at GAA matches???
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Exactly. The role hardly requires Ironman triathlon levels of fitness. You have to be fit of course, but nowhere close to the gender difference in fitness/strength levels at high level sports. Fair play to her for winning the ref of the year.
    Umpires don't move much. The levels of fitness required in the Gardai are on a far lower scale again yet women get special dispensation there.

But yeah, once they're in shape and can keep up with the play at the higher levels there's no issue with what's between their legs (or however they choose to define their gender :pac: ) as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

kerryjack wrote: »
    Hi there said I would post this in gentlemen's forum, I am sorry but I think this is ridiculous and a step too far having a female referee reffing a mans game. Be honest lads be sexist on this one, am I right.

Why is it a step too far? What is the part of it that is a step too far for you? Is it simply that it's a woman? Or is there some other factor at play? Are you OK with Nigel Owens refereeing matches, or should openly gay men not referee either? What about black or Asian refs? Where exactly do you draw the line as to what is acceptable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Thanks for the discussion guys Its no big deal on the large scheme of things maybe I don't like change and don't see the need for change nothing against women like the old saying goes you spend nine months trying to get out and the rest of your life trying to get back in , I apologize if I have offended any one with that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Hi there said I would post this in gentlemen's forum, I am sorry but I think this is ridiculous and a step too far having a female referee reffing a mans game. Be honest lads be sexist on this one, am I right.
    No it's fine if she is fit enough and knows the laws of Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I am not winding up its just a discussion we are having and I have been honest and I said I don't like it, I also don't like women boxing, looks like I am on my own on this one and and thats fair enough.

I don’t like people starting dopey threads, but hey, it’s a free country. Fire ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Joy, loses on two counts so, she's both female and openly gay.
    We'll be in right fix once transgender becomes the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Tefral wrote: »
    Cant see the problem to be honest. Its not like she will be in showering away with the lads in the dressing rooms.

As long as she can keep the pace (which she clearly can) and officiates over the game with fairness and in accordance with the rules of the sport, who cares if its a female or a man.

Nothing wrong with a woman showering with the lads, but a reff a a high level would more than likely have a shower room of their own or at least a sink, as otherwise it would be seen as a partisan forming fraternisation. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

lalababa wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a woman showering with the lads,

I actually think there is an issue with this statement. This most certainly would not be allowed the other way around.

Equal means equal...

Tefral wrote: »
    I actually think there is an issue with this statement. This most certainly would not be allowed the other way around.

Equal means equal...
    Lads I am prepared to do my duty and referee women's rugby even if I must shower with the team afterwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There is absolutely no issue whatsoever. In recent years there have been plenty of women officials at LOI matches, and gender has absolutely no relevance to the job at hand. Can you point to anything specific, at all, to support your opinion? Have you any first hand experience whatsoever of sports with a woman official?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What a very strange thing to have an issue against!

Kerryjack she's pretty as a picture, fit as a fiddle,smart as a whip, strong as horse, tough as nails and gay as Christmas. She isn't some dolly bird from Essex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Pretty, fit, gay, dolly bird. Fiddle, whip, nail. Sex. Christ!

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Pretty, fit, gay, dolly bird. Fiddle, whip, nail. Sex. Christ!
    Rugby boy Rugby! What did Orwell say about Twickenham?

I don't like it, I also don't like women boxing

You have jumped there from a woman being the referee of one type of sport - to women being the active participant in another kind of sport.

To understand that jump I have to ask - what is your position on women _playing_ rugby? Do you have issues with that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Rugby boy Rugby! What did Orwell say about Twickenham?

I have no idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don’t care about the gender of the refs. By the time you get to pro rugby the standard of refereeing is actually very high. Very few glaringly bad decisions and the TMO clears up some really marginal calls.

The biggest factor at that level isn’t just implementing the rules, it’s about the referee communicating with the players so they know exactly what they will get away with and what they will get penalised for.

The objective is to not have to penalise players by maintaining strict control over the players do they play within the rules. Nigel Owen is one of the best refs and his games are better to watch because of his approach. If joy or any ref can make the games better then I don’t care about their gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Who cares what gender or age a ref is.

If they are good at their role, know the rules and are fair that is all that counts.

Recently seen a 15 year old boy umpire a ladies hockey game and having to send a lady off as she would did no heed his warning about back chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Reminds me of my granny. Loves rugby and GAA, but every time (and I mean every time, for the past however many years) that blonde sports news presenter on RTÉ, Jackie something, comes on the telly she starts scowling about how it's not right and she can't take her seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

You have jumped there from a woman being the referee of one type of sport - to women being the active participant in another kind of sport.

To understand that jump I have to ask - what is your position on women _playing_ rugby? Do you have issues with that too?
    No interest in it couldn't watch it women weren't designed for boxing or playing rugby and yes I have a daughter myself I certainly wouldn't encourage her.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Your spelling threw me off. Jacqui Hurley, a good Cork woman.
    Having played as a prop, I don't think I was designed either for a big second row, to put his hand up between my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I don't see any agreement.

The most vaguely supportive comment was me saying that as long as they pass the same fitness tests as male referees (which are stringent and not particularly easy) it's only a good thing.

I hope you don't read this to mean I agree with the op.

No..I was referring to the OP agreeing with himself....hence the town/idiot comment... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've reffed with Helen O'Reilly......an outstanding official, and it's easy to see why she's gone on to the higher levels of officiating. Learned a lot from watching her and listening to her.

Officiating isn't about gender, it's about positioning, player/team management, game reading, fleetness of thought and personal resilience.

Advertisement