Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Berserker MTL RTA Questions

Options
  • 26-11-2017 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Just ordered this off Gearbest for €22. I dabbled in building one or two coils years back so basically I'm more or less a complete novice. Hopefully someone here with rebuilding experience can help me get started.

So anyone got this tank? I'm hearing great things about it and I love the look of it.
    Any tips for building etc?
    I bought some pre wired coils, will they be good with this tank size-wise?
    I don't bother with temperature control, so can I still vape stainless steel in wattage mode?
    How often should I change the wick?
    How often should I change the coil?
    Any other useful info?

Clapton 0.55ohm
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/4470500

Stainless steel 0.6ohm
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/7497101

Stainless Steel 0.8ohm
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/7497100

Original-Vandy-Vape-Berserker-MTL-RTA-Tank-2ML-Can-be-Switch-to-4-5ML-VandyVape-Berserker.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I haven't got a Beserker but the deck is very similar to others,the video below will show you how to build & wick.
    It is important not to make the coil too short or too long (explained in video)if using the SS 0.8coils that you ordered (higher ohms is more suitable for MTL),I would space them (ss will work with temp or wattage) & then follow the video instruction with the wicking.

Also,this tank can flood when refilling,just like the Nautilus2,the reviewer shows you how to prevent leakage.

If using the tank full time,I would change the wick every 1-2 weeks...

Change the coil every 3-4 months,just dry burn the coil every time you change the wick.

Personally,I am not keen on using claptons in a single build,higher watts is needed to ramp up the coil & higher watts is not good for a MTL tanks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaJ_4c2kcso&list=PLetTP-xlhMvswYxV8nOBKr0bvpJqkgMJ5&index=24

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

I haven't got a Beserker but the deck is very similar to others,the video below will show you how to build & wick.
    It is important not to make the coil too short or too long (explained in video)if using the SS 0.8coils that you ordered (higher ohms is more suitable for MTL),I would space them (ss will work with temp or wattage) & then follow the video instruction with the wicking.

Also,this tank can flood when refilling,just like the Nautilus2,the reviewer shows you how to prevent leakage.

If using the tank full time,I would change the wick every 1-2 weeks...

Change the coil every 3-4 months,just dry burn the coil every time you change the wick.

Personally,I am not keen on using claptons in a single build,higher watts is needed to ramp up the coil & higher watts is not good for a MTL tanks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaJ_4c2kcso&list=PLetTP-xlhMvswYxV8nOBKr0bvpJqkgMJ5&index=24

Awesome, lots of good info there and the video is super helpful. I'll cancel the claptons. I also changed the SS for Kanthal.

Thanks a lot youdipstick!

@youdipstick,

Can you explain the reason why I should space my coils? Is it to enchance wicking/flavour?

@youdipstick,

Can you explain the reason why I should space my coils? Is it to enchance wicking/flavour?

The SS micro coils (7 or 8 wraps) you were buying were not long enough for the legs to reach the clamp screws on the deck,in the video,Vic had to do a 13 wrap coil which he changed to 11 wraps so the legs could reach the screws comfortably,spacing the SS coils would lengthen the coil & you need to take the air holes into consideration as well,how the air hits the coil,this will improve the taste of the flavour.Air hitting the bottom of the coil gives more flavour,if it's side airflow,aim the air at the bottom half of the coil,if you aim the air at the top,you will get a harsh vape.

Another reason for spaced coils is,you will never get a hot leg when setting the coil up & no need for pulsing the coil for the correct glow(glowing from the inside to out)

I space coils with all wires if I have the room on the deck to do so,smaller decks need micro coils & a lot of setting up goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Was thinking of picking one of these up for some MTL action as I really like the black/ultem look but the flooding and leaking issues put me off.

I now see Vandyvape have a 22mm mini version coming out so those issues might be fixed.

http://www.vandyvape.com/detail/Atomizer/58

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Was thinking of picking one of these up for some MTL action as I really like the black/ultem look but the flooding and leaking issues put me off.

I now see Vandyvape have a 22mm mini version coming out so those issues might be fixed.

http://www.vandyvape.com/detail/Atomizer/58

The issue with flooding is very minimal and goes away after 2 or 3 vapes, also is preventable from all the reviews I have watched. So I wouldn't let that put you off. I literally have watched every video on youtube for this tank. :D

@youdipstick,

Thanks again, this is all really helpful for me. So is there a specific way to space the coils or do I just pull apart gently until I have the desired length?

The issue with flooding is very minimal and goes away after 2 or 3 vapes, also is preventable from all the reviews I have watched. So I wouldn't let that put you off. I literally have watched every video on youtube for this tank. :D

@youdipstick,

Thanks again, this is all really helpful for me. So is there a specific way to space the coils or do I just pull apart gently until I have the desired length?

I think I'll pick up the mini in the new year as it will sit flush on a evod style battery I used for my MTL tanks.

Also, I so blew my vape budget for the rest of 2017 :(

Lovely looking tank.

...........................and don't talk to me about vape budgets. Damn fasttech.

Lovely looking tank.

...........................and don't talk to me about vape budgets. Damn fasttech.

11pmsl.jpg

@youdipstick,

Here's two short videos showing 2 methods of spacing in the first video...you don't need pliers to squeeze the coils in,just use your thumb & forefinger & push them in. (second video)

I usually give the coil about 4 extra wraps to make sure it's long enough,when spaced & it is too long,just pinch one of the legs with pliers & pull very gently until you have the right length (second video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDW9E7v-OBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnZMHilZpI

• Advertisement

Here's two short videos showing 2 methods of spacing in the first video...you don't need pliers to squeeze the coils in,just use your thumb & forefinger & push them in. (second video)

I usually give the coil about 4 extra wraps to make sure it's long enough,when spaced & it is too long,just pinch one of the legs with pliers & pull very gently until you have the right length (second video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDW9E7v-OBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnZMHilZpI

Perfect, thank you.

So my Berserker came today (my very first RTA) and had a couple of small issues, if anyone could help it would be great.

Made the first coil, 6 or 7 wraps, 26 gauge, spaced coil. Wicked it and got about 2 or 3 vapes, then dry hit city.
    Made the second coil, 6 or 7 wraps, 26 gauge, spaced coil. Wicked it and got about 2 or 3 vapes, then dry hit city.
    Made the third coil, 9 or 10 wraps, 26 gauge, this time I made it a contact coil. Wicked it and has been vaping great at 1.2ohm. My wife loves it, but I want more throat hit. Not much, just a little. I did prime all coils first and am using 6mg juice.

My issues:
    1. I wicked the same all 3 times, why is it working great with a contact coil, but dry hits with a spaced coil?

2. The first 2 spaced coils read around 0.8ohms on my resistence tester and on 2 different mods, but once I screwed the tank together, both coils changed and were reading between 0.15 to 0.19. What would cause this? The third coil read 1.2ohm on tester and vapes at 1.2ohm. I have no understanding as to coil 1 and 2.

3. If I making, say a 0.5ohm coil, should I expect a better throat hit and do I use less wraps or more to achieve that ohm? I assume less, but best to be sure.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm feeling a little dumb right now.

Overall, the tank is very nice. Well machined, short and I have had no flooding or leaking using top-fill, although I am using the 2ml tank. Maybe others are having top-fill issues due to more pressure with using the 4.5ml tank? Airflow is absolutely silent and flavour is as good as I've ever tasted from any tank. I would like a little more airflow, but am happy with it just the same. My wife thinks it is amazing, she normally vapes 1.8ohm atlantis coils.

Quick update,

Been vaping on it for about 2 hours now and I don't know if the coil has broken in more or I am just adjusting to the tighter, smoother draw, but it's giving a really satifying vape now with amazing flavour. I would even go as far as to say the vape, currently, is incredible.

I usually mtl with a 0.5 or 1.0ohm coil, but am really enjoying the vape off this tank now with a 1.2ohm coil. Nice throat hit now also, would like a bit more, but it is nice. I hope I can repeat this build on it consistently. Pretty much my first successful build ever. I'm very happy with myself at the moment. I just wish I had bought an RTA sooner and could get back that €300 or €400 I spent on coils this year. Although to be fair, I bought 100 vaperesso ceramics recently and they are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Quick update,

Been vaping on it for about 2 hours now and I don't know if the coil has broken in more or I am just adjusting to the tighter, smoother draw, but it's giving a really satifying vape now with amazing flavour. I would even go as far as to say the vape, currently, is incredible.

I usually mtl with a 0.5 or 1.0ohm coil, but am really enjoying the vape off this tank now with a 1.2ohm coil. Nice throat hit now also, would like a bit more, but it is nice. I hope I can repeat this build on it consistently. Pretty much my first successful build ever. I'm very happy with myself at the moment. I just wish I had bought an RTA sooner and could get back that €300 or €400 I spent on coils this year. Although to be fair, I bought 100 vaperesso ceramics recently and they are fantastic.

Thats great to hear so HAPPY VAPING,i,m at the first hurdle trying to find a juice that i could say that i like,looking forward to making my own RTA in the future :)

So my Berserker came today (my very first RTA) and had a couple of small issues, if anyone could help it would be great.

Made the first coil, 6 or 7 wraps, 26 gauge, spaced coil. Wicked it and got about 2 or 3 vapes, then dry hit city.
    Made the second coil, 6 or 7 wraps, 26 gauge, spaced coil. Wicked it and got about 2 or 3 vapes, then dry hit city.
    Made the third coil, 9 or 10 wraps, 26 gauge, this time I made it a contact coil. Wicked it and has been vaping great at 1.2ohm. My wife loves it, but I want more throat hit. Not much, just a little. I did prime all coils first and am using 6mg juice.

My issues:
    1. I wicked the same all 3 times, why is it working great with a contact coil, but dry hits with a spaced coil?

2. The first 2 spaced coils read around 0.8ohms on my resistence tester and on 2 different mods, but once I screwed the tank together, both coils changed and were reading between 0.15 to 0.19. What would cause this? The third coil read 1.2ohm on tester and vapes at 1.2ohm. I have no understanding as to coil 1 and 2.

3. If I making, say a 0.5ohm coil, should I expect a better throat hit and do I use less wraps or more to achieve that ohm? I assume less, but best to be sure.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm feeling a little dumb right now.

Overall, the tank is very nice. Well machined, short and I have had no flooding or leaking using top-fill, although I am using the 2ml tank. Maybe others are having top-fill issues due to more pressure with using the 4.5ml tank? Airflow is absolutely silent and flavour is as good as I've ever tasted from any tank. I would like a little more airflow, but am happy with it just the same. My wife thinks it is amazing, she normally vapes 1.8ohm atlantis coils.

The first 2 spaced coils are reading wrong,your tester seems to be working ok with the contact coil,only thing I can think of is the 2 spaced coils are showing a short on your tester,these testers will not show you an actual short but they will show different ohms like you are getting.Reason for this is the legs on the coil are not making a proper contact with your -/+ posts,the screws need to be tighter,sometimes it may seem tight to you,unscew & rescrew it back in,I don't own a Beserker to clarify that the post screws are good but loose contact screws on other decks will show dodgy readings & will give you dry hits.
    Is your mod capable of reading the ohms & did you check it the ohms on both.

You didn't say what wattage you were using on the spaced coils...

Just read through your post again & I think I have found your problem,the inside of the chimney is making contact with your coil while screwing it on the deck & it will cause a big short,either the coil is too big or too long & is touching the inside of the chimney,the 1.2 contact coil is smaller & not touching the chimney & working great.
    Hopefully that fixes your dry hits...

The Beserker being a MTL tank wouldn't be suitable for a 0.5 coil as you will have to up the wattage to make it work & it will boil your juice.
    Around 1.0ohm & higher is better for MTL & vaping around 12w to 20w,to get that extra hit,I would suggest that you try 12mg,I've been using 18mg for years & it is very satisfying,anything lower doesn't do it for me.

Less & smaller wraps will knock the ohms down...

Any probs or answers you need,just keep coming back here,there is a lot of us here that may have the answers...

The first 2 spaced coils are reading wrong,your tester seems to be working ok with the contact coil,only thing I can think of is the 2 spaced coils are showing a short on your tester,these testers will not show you an actual short but they will show different ohms like you are getting.Reason for this is the legs on the coil are not making a proper contact with your -/+ posts,the screws need to be tighter,sometimes it may seem tight to you,unscew & rescrew it back in,I don't own a Beserker to clarify that the post screws are good but loose contact screws on other decks will show dodgy readings & will give you dry hits.
    Is your mod capable of reading the ohms & did you check it the ohms on both.

You didn't say what wattage you were using on the spaced coils...

Just read through your post again & I think I have found your problem,the inside of the chimney is making contact with your coil while screwing it on the deck & it will cause a big short,either the coil is too big or too long & is touching the inside of the chimney,the 1.2 contact coil is smaller & not touching the chimney & working great.
    Hopefully that fixes your dry hits...

The Beserker being a MTL tank wouldn't be suitable for a 0.5 coil as you will have to up the wattage to make it work & it will boil your juice.
    Around 1.0ohm & higher is better for MTL & vaping around 12w to 20w,to get that extra hit,I would suggest that you try 12mg,I've been using 18mg for years & it is very satisfying,anything lower doesn't do it for me.

Less & smaller wraps will knock the ohms down...

Any probs or answers you need,just keep coming back here,there is a lot of us here that may have the answers...

Great post.

Yep your hunch about the short on the bell cap seems most likely now I think about it. The 2 coils read fine on 2 mods and a tester (base and build only). Once the bell cap was screwed down was when I got the wrong reading. So what you are saying makes perfect sense. I did have the wire pop out from the screw a couple of times becasue of how thin the wire was, more evidence your theory is spot on.

Next time I will wrap the wire around the screw for better contact rather than having it run along the side. I'll also pay more attention to the width of the coil. I really think you nailed it here.

For the record, I was running at 10 watts just to start off with the intention to increase it slowly to a more suitable wattage.

Currently vaping 1.2ohm coil at 15 watts and it is an immense vape. I think I'll buy another Berserker. Really enjoying it and so happy to finally be building my own coils now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Quick update,

In a very similar boat myself, been spending loads on coils over last couple of years and buying crappy tanks. Got a Siren V2 a few weeks ago and it's been a revelation for me. Went mad ordering more mtl rta tanks since then. Have a Cthulhu Hastur, Innokin Ares and another Siren on the way. Also a couple of larger mods they'll fit on. Will have to hide some of my old tanks so wife is none the wiser :D

In a very similar boat myself, been spending loads on coils over last couple of years and buying crappy tanks. Got a Siren V2 a few weeks ago and it's been a revelation for me. Went mad ordering more mtl rta tanks since then. Have a Cthulhu Hastur, Innokin Ares and another Siren on the way. Also a couple of larger mods they'll fit on. Will have to hide some of my old tanks so wife is none the wiser :D

How is the Ares? I'm planning on getting that along with another Berserker.

How is the Ares? I'm planning on getting that along with another Berserker.

I've only preordered it, not even dispatched yet. Will probably be mid/late January before I get it. Should be getting the the Cthulhu Hastur before xmas though so looking forward to trying it. I'd imagine they'll all be fairly similar given their design. Might get the Berserker in the new year, need to calm down for now

I hear that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 shane122

How are you getting on with the berserker now. What juice are you using, I like 70vg 30 pg do you think this mtl is up to the job and also how are finding having to build could and getting them working correctly

shane122 wrote: »
    How are you getting on with the berserker now. What juice are you using, I like 70vg 30 pg do you think this mtl is up to the job and also how are finding having to build could and getting them working correctly

I make my own juice, currently vaping a 70vg/30pg strawberry custard and zero issues with it wicking the juice. The tank is super easy to build and gives bags of flavour. The draw is very tight, but for me that is a good thing. Very similar to a ciggy. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shane122

I've read a few good things about this tank. I think I need to move on to the rebuilds as I'm fed up with pre mades . I have Nautilus x and burn the coils very quickly with 70/30. I don't know what it is but I only seem to like 70/30 juice but don't like DL and sub ohm kits,so need to find a coil and tank for MTL that will handle 70/30. Where do you buy all your gear. I've seen this tank on an Irish site for 40 Euro but it comes with a lot of stuff. Did you build coils yourself before getting this tank, is it easy to learn.

shane122 wrote: »
    I've read a few good things about this tank. I think I need to move on to the rebuilds as I'm fed up with pre mades . I have Nautilus x and burn the coils very quickly with 70/30. I don't know what it is but I only seem to like 70/30 juice but don't like DL and sub ohm kits,so need to find a coil and tank for MTL that will handle 70/30. Where do you buy all your gear. I've seen this tank on an Irish site for 40 Euro but it comes with a lot of stuff. Did you build coils yourself before getting this tank, is it easy to learn.

I buy nearly exclusively from fasttech. Delivery is very slow, but their selection and prices are great. I was a total noob at building coils and have found this tank extremely easy to build on. I want to buy some more RTA's now and will probably never buy a pre-made coil again.

I buy nearly exclusively from fasttech. Delivery is very slow, but their selection and prices are great. I was a total noob at building coils and have found this tank extremely easy to build on. I want to buy some more RTA's now and will probably never buy a pre-made coil again.

Once you start building your own coils for less than 50c, its so very hard to go back to paying 5 quid a pop for them :eek:

Gearbest are pretty good for prices as well but sadly delivery also takes forever :(

Built a 1ohm coil and am now getting a great throat hit with 6mg juice. Also changed the glass to 4.5ml which lasts me all day. Flavour with the bigger glass is still fantasic and the tank is easy on juice consumption.

Love this thing!

Built a 1ohm coil and am now getting a great throat hit with 6mg juice. Also changed the glass to 4.5ml which lasts me all day. Flavour with the bigger glass is still fantasic and the tank is easy on juice consumption.

Love this thing!

The mini is deffo on my list for after Christmas. Love the look with the ultem tip and glass which will look the business on a 22mm matt black evod battery I have :D

My berserker mini arrived today. It's a lovely sleek tank. Only been vaping on it for little while but so far for flavour I would rate it about same as the Siren V2 and slightly worse than the sxk doggystyle which is my current favourite. Whats up with 2 the supplied coils, any idea what spec they are? Neither worked for me unfortunately, 1st just snapped when I put it in tried to dry burn it, think I might have had it around 20w accidentally though. 2nd doesn't seem to be detected properly, getting errors on my mod saying atomizer low?. Anyway put a kanthal 1ohm coil in, same as it what is in most of my other mtl tanks at the moment. It seems to be better to run it on a lower wattage than other tanks, for example I have same coil in sxk doggy with same juice and I have that at 11w whereas the berserker seems about the same at 8w. Going to stick a tc build in it over next few days so will see how that goes.

437879.jpeg

I never used the included coils, but I find a 2.5 or 3.0 bore coil to be fantastic for flavour. I have the 24mm versions and with the short glass I put it ahead of the Doggy tank, only slightly. With the bigger glass I put it slightly worse.

That just goes to show how good of a tank that little Doggy tank is. Vaping it right now and every vape I keep being impressed.

• Advertisement

I never used the included coils, but I find a 2.5 or 3.0 bore coil to be fantastic for flavour. I have the 24mm versions and with the short glass I put it ahead of the Doggy tank, only slightly. With the bigger glass I put it slightly worse.

That just goes to show how good of a tank that little Doggy tank is. Vaping it right now and every vape I keep being impressed.

Yeah if I had gotten the doggy before I ordered the berserker I probably wouldn't have bothered getting it. Quite happy with it anyway. My collection has grown massively since all these new mtl tanks have been released in the last few months :D

Advertisement