Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ditto CL. Must be the season, I came in today to find a colleague was let got just before he headed home for the weekend. Not even coming back into the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Ah well, it is what it is I suppose! Not my first rodeo & there are worse things that could happen! Still will be slightly annoying as I left my old job (where I'd been for nearly 10 years) & only started this one two months ago :( Fingers crossed though!

Ouch, Jude, that was a bit harsh on that lad wasn't it!

Tis the way they do things in this industry. If he was clued in he should have three months gardening leave so I will have a nice cheque and if he can get another job it will hopefully work out financially well for him.

So what are the chances of white Christmas this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Had a lovely, quiet weekend, hence no posts! Watched the Toy Show on Friday night & actually really enjoyed it which is a major plus for me as I'm normally not fussed about it! But did think it was really good this year! Tubs was surprisingly funny!

Did the deep clean on Saturday - house was spotless! It was fantastic until my cousin arrived with her little girl & helped my little one trash the place! C'est la vie lol :P

Put up our kitchen tree yesterday & the Christmas village. Mr. CL did the outside lights in the rain :rolleyes: Then went up to the attic and brought down only one box of decorations & said "sure this is all that's up there" :eek: I was like "do you know me at all, there's at least three more bags up there!" :p We will finish them next weekend when we get the sitting room tree.

And then lastly, I heard the Barry's Tea ad on the radio this am so it's officially Christmas for me! Really needed it this am as it's highly likely I'm going to be made redundant later today so need the cheer!

Happy Monday, elves! :D:D

Just heard the add on Today FM as I read your post. It's an excellent ad full of memories!
    Hope today doesn't turn out as bad as you thought it would

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Fingers crossed for you CL that everything will be ok!

Chances are less than 20% for a White Christmas this year Jude, which is actually quite high. 25% is the magic number apparently.

They're giving snow for here towards the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I hope all will be ok Cheerlouth

Guinness ad just been on the Tv I love it :)

That is GREAT news about the Guinness ad.

Also this day 3 weeks is Christmas. Ehhh. How the hell did that happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

SarahLil wrote: »
    Guinness ad just been on the Tv I love it :)

My mam absolutely loves this ad- will have to give her a text to tell her it's back this year :D

I was surprised the Ad was on, seems earlier then usual
    OMG totally didn't twig that it's this day 3 weeks
    The switch for our electric hob and oven is on the blink I nearly had no dinner today the OH will have to get on to his pal to sort out we don't need any of that coming up to the big day
    Ordering my turkey this week

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hope things didn't go as badly as you thought today, CheerLouth. :(
    Loughc wrote: »
    You'd be great at this! :D

Was the Christmas ad the full one?

Our trip home next friday was nearly delayed as out dog sliced its leg in the back of the jeep barking at something, off to the vet for an op. She will have her stitches out and hopefully the all clear the day before we go which is the day she goes to the kennel for three weeks.

Had to sleep on the sofa last night to help her drink water and go out for a pee. Shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In three weeks time people will be killing one another to get a pair of jeans that NEXT have pulled out of the stock one from a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Jude13 wrote: »
    Was the Christmas ad the full one?

Our trip home next friday was nearly delayed as out dog sliced its leg in the back of the jeep barking at something, off to the vet for an op. She will have her stitches out and hopefully the all clear the day before we go which is the day she goes to the kennel for three weeks.

Had to sleep on the sofa last night to help her drink water and go out for a pee. Shattered.

Hope she’s ok Jude 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

In three weeks time people will be killing one another to get a pair of jeans that NEXT have pulled out of the stock one from a few years ago!

My daughter worked at the Next sale last year so I had to drop her there for about 4.15 am on St. Stephens morning. Even at that time there was a huge line, total madness if you ask me. She said it was a crazy day, people pushing through you to get the bargains. She’s been asked to do it again this year but has refused so that means I can have a sleep in that morning which is the natural order of things.

I cant think of something worse than having to go shopping on Stephens day. In saying that I still wear jeans and trainers that I had in college.

Cork Lass the mutt is okay, very confused by the cone and can't fit out the dog flap so I had to sleep on the couch to let her out and let her drink water etc.

Even if they were giving stuff away for free on Stephens Day I still wouldn’t go.

Stephens Day is Christmas Day part 2 for my family. Plenty of food, drink and tv. Far far superior to any discounted sh!te that they couldn’t shift during the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Even if they were giving stuff away for free on Stephens Day I still wouldn’t go.

Stephens Day is Christmas Day part 2 for my family. Plenty of food, drink and tv. Far far superior to any discounted sh!te that they couldn’t shift during the rest of the year.

Absolutely.

MAde the mistake a few years back of popping down to the Blanchardstown Cenre for a browse one Stephens day afternoon... it was best described as carnage. I had no qualms in getting back into the car & heading back to my christmas castle (home) to carry on the festivities.

That was one of the things I loved about christmas as a kid, the shops closed for a few days & the whole country more or less stopped & not just for 24 hours like nowadays. I dread the day shops start opening on christmas day as its a given that it will in time. Thta'll be a sad sad day IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Same here! Can think of nothing worse than shopping on St. Stephen's Day! We go to my parents on St. Stephen's day with my sister & her kids & my brother! I'm actually really surprised at the amount of people for which St. Stephen's Day is a non-event! My brother has had a couple of girlfriends who came along to ours on Stephen's Day because nothing was happening in their own houses! Seemed very weird to us!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Same here! Can think of nothing worse than shopping on St. Stephen's Day! We go to my parents on St. Stephen's day with my sister & her kids & my brother! I'm actually really surprised at the amount of people for which St. Stephen's Day is a non-event! My brother has had a couple of girlfriends who came along to ours on Stephen's Day because nothing was happening in their own houses! Seemed very weird to us!

Hope all is ok cheer Louth and yesterday wasn’t as bad as you thought it would be.

• Advertisement

Hope all is ok cheer Louth and yesterday wasn’t as bad as you thought it would be.

Thanks Loughc! Number of jobs to be cut but nothing definite until next year! :( Nice to go into the Christmas period with the axeman lurking in the background but sure, there are worse things that could happen! We are healthy & happy & that's the main thing! :D

And if the worse does happen and please god it won’t January is a much easier time to find a new job than any other month.

But look don’t focus on that, focusing on making the most of this Christmas and relaxing and having fun. Jobs will always come and go but time is the one thing we can never get back. So make the most of your time off with your loved ones. :)

Fingers crossed on the job front for you Louth.

Stephens day was and still might pip the big day for me. Christmas day was always so manic and we had to visit so many relative. Stephens day we were generally at home and we could enjoy the presents we got. Plus more food!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Totally agree, going shopping on Stephens Day would be my worst nightmare. Our Stephens Day consists of going to the races or going to a nice cosy pub to watch the racing during the day and then onto a trad session/party that evening. As someone said earlier I'm looking forward more to Stephens Day than Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Was someone here looking for mint baileys recently?

http://www.theonlineofflicence.co.uk/Baileys-Mint-Chocolate

I came across this this morning.

Was someone here looking for mint baileys recently?

http://www.theonlineofflicence.co.uk/Baileys-Mint-Chocolate

I came across this this morning.

That was me!! i was looking! Hopefully it's available in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

That was me!! i was looking! Hopefully it's available in Ireland too.
    They ship to Ireland and its not as expensive as I thought it might be, if you ordered a few things it might be cheaper to get it sent to DPD Parcel Wizard as they accept alcohol which some forwarding companies prohibit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi All, just catching up with posts. Hope you are all ok.....
    Did.nt get to watch LLS yet.... Got lots of stuff over the weekend.... Took tree and decs down from attic last night..so starting today...

Am I right in thinking we are only 20 days.......

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Loughc they have it in Aldi in a threepack for 14.99. I got some today. I took a pic for you. Hopefully I can post it up. They also have a cappuccino one and a chocolate one (full size).

• Advertisement

Hey Jude yes it was the full Guinness Ad
    I hope the dog is in the mend soon
    Off today for an appointment with my mother, got a few jobs done at home too
    If it’s to be as cold as it’s to be expected the weekend there will be no golf for my OH so I’ll get some more jobs done then,
    Booked my Christmas hair appointment for next week
    I agree i wish the shops wouldn’t open St.Stephens Day I couldn’t care less if they were giving away the stuff for free

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement