Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    That's only 150 to the adverts starting on TV... yay!

That will fly by, I love the summer however can't wait for autumn/winter this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    That will fly by, I love the summer however can't wait for autumn/winter this year.

I love the summer months (its the gaps between Christmas & summer that are the least fun :)) but with no holidays or anything else of note to focus on or look forward to for the remainder of the summer i'm already looking forward to September & Autumn & hopefully a closer to normal situation than we currently have.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I love the summer months (its the gaps between Christmas & summer that are the least fun :)) but with no holidays or anything else of note to focus on or look forward to for the remainder of the summer i'm already looking forward to September & Autumn & hopefully a closer to normal situation than we currently have.

This.

At the start of the year I had a few summer jobs planned for the garden however finding it hard to find the motivation at the minute. Especially if the weather stays like the last couple of days :(

This.

At the start of the year I had a few summer jobs planned for the garden however finding it hard to find the motivation at the minute. Especially if the weather stays like the last couple of days :(

Know the feeling.
    Am sat up here at my desk in the attic and after all last week needing all the rooflights open & the shades down to try & stay cool its a bit of a shock trying to get used to the 10 odd degree temperature drop. Not looking great on the forecast for the next few days either :(
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

A bit of an odd suggestion but maybe it'll help someone during the next hot spell, pet cooling pads are great for keeping your back cool while working from home. Today is a lot cooler but I know Tuesday was unbearably hot for himself in the office, I gave him one of our fur babies cooling pads and it helped a lot :)

We had plans to get the outside of the house started in March/April: level off the garden, do a proper driveway, paths, maybe even start the patio... we thought by now we'd be planting the garden and setting up an area for a vegetable patch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’ve started taking vitamins again. Mainly to countdown the days to Christmas. Terrible I know!

Into the 20's on the weekly countdown folks... 3 short weeks to halfway!

This is the positivity I love about this place :)

I actually find this year has gone fast so far.

I actually find this year has gone fast so far.

To be fair I think they all do once we get beyond January & February.

Some years, depending on the way the days fall (& payday for those of us paid monthly) January can really seem to drag ( & i mean draaaaag!) but once we get into March & St. Patricks day the year definitely seems to pick up, usually because so much starts to happen around then with Mid terms, Paddys day, easter, summer holidays to look forward to, longer days with clocks going forward etc.

I'm actually amazed the last 12 weeks i've had WFH have gone by as quickly as they have though, I know I've been extremely busy with work but I've had the odd lull day in between (spending longer online in here & looking at other christmas related stuff) and never would have expected it to have gone by at the pace it has.

I have a strong feeling that if we get back to something akin to normal the rest of the year will go in the blink of an eye, which will suit me fine, 2020 will not be one of the better ones thats a given already!

• Advertisement

2020 will not be one of the better ones thats a given already!

I was reading a comment the other day, that future generations will read about 2020 in history books and be happy it was before their time!

I actually thought with everything being cancelled and not being able to go places or having people call or the soaps,etc being reduced that things were really going to drag but so far I haven’t found it to bad.
    Part of me is thinking was all my trips to town making other years go slower.

I actually thought with everything being cancelled and not being able to go places or having people call or the soaps,etc being reduced that things were really going to drag but so far I haven’t found it to bad.
    Part of me is thinking was all my trips to town making other years go slower.

I thought the same with sport being stopped. I'd normally have to take 2 kids training sessions midweek & have kids matches on Saturdays & Sundays too.
    I'd also be going to LOI matches every weekend & would be following all the usual global sports etc. that tends to break up the weeks & months, as does the school terms. With that structure taken away I though one large chunk of over a dozen weeks would feel like a prison sentence but its definitely passed faster than I would have expected.

On that note, I look forward to a Loughc stat update for the month of May to see if we've dipped off on content. I must admit it feels like we have, its definitely no way as busy in here these days.

Unfortunately not, however understandable as people in general seem to be busier then ever with everything going on, so less time for hobbies etc (is liking Christmas a hobby??)

Right, clocking out for the day. Have a great weekend guys (only seems like yesterday I was saying this last week!!) and stay safe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Have a lovely weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have been skirting my Christmasy obligation of posting due to Covid madness.

I am awaiting delivery of JRR Tolkien's Christmas book and had the first pressie delivered for the little one. We are packing up this weekend for our move the new house next weekend. It's going to be quite hectic. I will have hands on the Christmas decorations due to the move so I will do a quick audit and make a list of items we need.

Hope all are well.

200 days to go guys now!
    I posted in the early hours of the 29th of February wishing everybody a Happy Leap Day when it was 300 days to go
    Then I went to work that morning and I joked with my friend about proposing to her fella. Then later that evening we learnt about having the first case of Coronavirus in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Eeek, in 23 hours we're into the 100's! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jude13

I'm calling yesterday as the day the Christmas bug really awoke. I ended up going down a rabbit hole (not the one where Louchc meet his OH) by looking at reddit's Christmas thread. First time on reddit, dislike the format. It is merely a shadow of this place. Makes me cherish this forum more, cheers Mods.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I'm calling yesterday as the day the Christmas bug really awoke. I ended up going down a rabbit hole (not the one where Louchc meet his OH) by looking at reddit's Christmas thread. First time on reddit, dislike the format. It is merely a shadow of this place. Makes me cherish this forum more, cheers Mods.

Finally able to log back into Boards!!! All weekend I was getting a login error...

anyway, agree Jude, dont like the reddit format at all, & being honest I'm not really sure how to navigate it & find much on it either. Here is so much better.

into the 100's from tomorrow now, and craving the build up more than I ever have, any prospect of christmas fatigue has been well & truly banised by the last 3 months. I just hope craving it too early doesnt leave me underwhelmed or jaded by the time the most wonderful time of the year comes around! I suspect not:D

Third re reddit, tried it a few times and never got the hang of it. Tend to ignore it now when it comes up in Google results.

Not quite the same as you Jude, however was putting some stuff in the attic yesterday and couldn't not have a look at some of the Christmas decorations. Mind drifted to last year and getting them all out and ready to put up. Cheered me up and seems such simpler times!

Who would think that a random Tuesday in June would have significance for Christmas lovers :)

Third re reddit, tried it a few times and never got the hang of it. Tend to ignore it not when it comes up in Google results.

Not quite the same as you Jude, however was putting some stuff in the attic yesterday and couldn't not have a look at some of the Christmas decorations. Mind drifted to last year and getting them all out and ready to put up. Cheered me up and seems such simpler times!

Who would think that a random Tuesday in June would have significance for Christmas lovers :)

I have it marked in my year planner every year, in fact days 299, 199, 99 all go on it.
    Then I have my weekly countdown also as a companion to Freshpopcorns daily countdown. I think because my job is deadline driven I get an added buzz in counting down to stuff...

Ha that's funny, I was up in the attic too over the weekend, easy know the weather wasn't great :) we were organising bits and bobs that had been left in the spare room so we've that all organised now.
    I used to work in wholesale, my role dealt with Christmas all year round, and usually around now we would have been expecting a big delivery of Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi all, just checking in, haven't been in here much; if I'm honest, I've been finding these last few months quite tough and my anxiety has increased an awful lot. I have good days and bad days, but really I just long for the day where we don't have to practice social distancing anymore and can just go where we want when we want!

Hoping that you are all well in here :)

Can't believe we are nearly half way through the year.

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi all, just checking in, haven't been in here much; if I'm honest, I've been finding these last few months quite tough and my anxiety has increased an awful lot. I have good days and bad days, but really I just long for the day where we don't have to practice social distancing anymore and can just go where we want when we want!

Good to hear from you :) If we are all honest, we probably all have our good and bad days, and I for one have made peace with myself that I wouldn't also feel great or positive or be happy 100% of the time and that is Ok.

I think we are hoping that Christmas wouldn't be too badly effected and one of the positive I've taken is that the time has seemed to go even quicker and we'll soon be closer to Christmas coming then Christmas gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Good to hear from you :) If we are all honest, we probably all have our good and bad days, and I for one have made peace with myself that I wouldn't also feel great or positive or be happy 100% of the time and that is Ok.

I think we are hoping that Christmas wouldn't be too badly effected and one of the positive I've taken is that the time has seemed to go even quicker and we'll soon be closer to Christmas coming then Christmas gone :)

Thanks a million for your lovely post :) Yes, I think Christmas this year will be really special - hoping that we won't have a second wave and that everyone stays safe and well, and we can really enjoy the lovely time of year that it is :)

I must come on here more often and cheer myself up with all your positive feeling! It's really a great forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Welcome back leahyl, is great to see you posting here again. Lots of people finding thing difficult at the moment but we are getting there.This forum is always good for cheering people up - it’s like a warm hug on a cold day :)

• Advertisement

It's really a great forum :)

The best on Boards! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement