Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Feel a bit dirty after that given the decisions that went against Exeter (or rather, didn't go against us) but I'll take it. Great comeback in the second half - those two penalties before half time were massive too. Leavy and Conan did really well, Fardy and Ringrose perhaps better (Garry more in the second half but still). All in all, very satisfying to come back and win that, particularly listening to the BT commentary. Feel sorry for Exeter though as well - but they failed to score since fairly early on in the game and they can't blame the ref for that. They really should have been out of sight after the first half - but couldn't. Much like us last week. Just we were able to take our opportunities in the second half - that's the difference over the two games. Just more clinical. That and Healy not getting red - idiotic from him and he will probably miss a few weeks now as a result.

No BPs in either game for us, but I'd have snapped your arm off for two wins against Exeter at the start of the year. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Heroic stuff. Exeter will bleat about some decisions but I have never seen a team quite so fond of being a couple of metres offside or of employing a neck roll. Healy should have gone, mindless (and dangerous) assault.

Sexton's tackle technique needs a whole re-think, he's a menace to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Synode wrote: »
    And was it not high?

According to the TMO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fardy was immense again. Leo or Lancaster or whoever learned of his availability was on the ball there. He's made a huge impact on the side. He's hitting the levels Rocky did for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

According to the TMO

Still haven't seen it again but it looked clear cut live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

I wonder will Healy lose the LH jersey again after only getting it back. McGrath will get a few weeks now to get his performances back up and Healy's entering into territory where he may be too risky to start with his discipline issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Nacewa repeatedly went for the 3 points rather than into the corner, we scored from all those penalties.

Exteter repeatedly went into the corner from their penalties, the scored from one. they left at least 9-12 points from those decisions.

For that alone Nacewa should be man of the match.

Was at the match , the booing was mainly from frustration at Exeter being a mile offside constantly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nacewa repeatedly went for the 3 points rather than into the corner, we scored from all those penalties.

Exteter repeatedly went into the corner from their penalties, the scored from one. they left at least 9-12 points from those decisions.

For that alone Nacewa should be man of the match.

Was at the match , the booing was mainly from frustration at Exeter being a mile offside constantly.
    They weren't offside bar one or two occasions.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

awec wrote: »
    They weren't offside bar one or two occasions.

I was directly in the eye-line of about 4 or 5, so let's not lie here.

There was one blatant one in the second half where the ref went to check an Exeter tackler wasn't interfering at the bottom of a ruck, and three or four of them out of his view stepped up immediately. It was always when his back was turned but the linesmen weren't doing anything.

Healy lucky to stay on the pitch, but at the same time one Chiefs player nearly caught him with a flying headbutt, so I dunno. High tackle on McGrath when he was clean through as well (I don't care if the TMO looked at it, the wrong decision was made regardless).

Whatever side you're on, the ref, his assistants and the TMO were atrocious.

• Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Faugheen wrote: »
    I was directly in the eye-line of about 4 or 5, so let's not lie here.

There was one blatant one in the second half where the ref went to check an Exeter tackler wasn't interfering at the bottom of a ruck, and three or four of them out of his view stepped up immediately. It was always when his back was turned but the linesmen weren't doing anything.

Healy lucky to stay on the pitch, but at the same time one Chiefs player nearly caught him with a flying headbutt, so I dunno. High tackle on McGrath when he was clean through as well (I don't care if the TMO looked at it, the wrong decision was made regardless).

Whatever side you're on, the ref, his assistants and the TMO were atrocious.
    Luke McGrath kept picking the ball off the ground at the back of the rucks.

Every time a Leinster player was tackled behind the gainline people were booing, but Exeter were completely legal the overwhelmingly majority of the time. Yea, there were a few bad ones missed but Leinster can have absolutely no complaint about the referee today. Leinster's winning try also came from a lineout that should have been the other way.

There was nothing in this "flying headbutt". It was nothing of the sort. It was straw grasping from the crowd.

I personally thought the ref was pretty good. The linesman missed a blatant tackle into touch that was caught by the TMO, there were a few missed offsides, a lineout that went the wrong way, but other than that it was a pretty good show from the officials.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Luke McGrath kept picking the ball off the ground at the back of the rucks.

Only when he had to dig it out (which was a lot). There were times quick ball was delivered and he'd pass off the ground, low and behold they were offside
    Every time a Leinster player was tackled behind the gainline people were booing

Again, lies or at the very least hyperbole. Leinster fans booed a lot and for good reason but it wasn't every time a tackle was made behind the gain line. Don't be silly.
    Leinster's winning try also came from a lineout that should have been the other way.

And they were in for a clear one in the first half only for a high tackle which all the officials missed. Forget that one?
    There was nothing in this "flying headbutt". It was nothing of the sort. It was straw grasping from the crowd.

So it's ok to dive head-first over the top at another players head? That's not even allowed in NFL!
    I personally thought the ref was pretty good. The linesman missed a blatant tackle into touch that was caught by the TMO, there were a few missed offsides, a lineout that went the wrong way, but other than that it was a pretty good show from the officials.

I disagree, but anyway.

And they were in for a clear one in the first half only for a high tackle which all the officials missed. Forget that one?

You mean the high tackle that the ref asked the TMO to look at and the TMO said there was nothing in it?

There was no "flying headbutt".

Crowd let their imagination run away with them. Pretty annoying. Good performance from the ref today.

You mean the high tackle that the ref asked the TMO to look at and the TMO said there was nothing in it?

Your point? He also didn't think Healy deserved a red card.

Just because TMO said it doesn't make it the right decision, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

There was no "flying headbutt".

Crowd let their imagination run away with them. Pretty annoying. Good performance from the ref today.

The same as the TMOs and officials deemed there to be nothing in the Conway incident last week despite what some continued to believe about that?

Your point?

My point, quite obviously, is you said the officials missed a high tackle when they actually looked at it.

Crowd were booing every time they thought there was offside. It's not illegal to boo and people get stuff wrong. Maybe its just the influence of pantomime season.

My point, quite obviously, is you said the officials missed a high tackle when they actually looked at it.

Crowd were booing every time they thought there was offside. It's not illegal to boo and people get stuff wrong. Maybe its just the influence of pantomime season.

They still missed the tackle whether they looked at it or not. i addressed that in an earlier post

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The same as the TMOs and officials deemed there to be nothing in the Conway incident last week despite what some continued to believe about that?

That's not remotely relevant?

They still missed the tackle whether they looked at it or not...

Right. So they saw the tackle, looked at the replay, but missed it. Magic.

And what actually happened, now that I remember, is that Leinster had won a penalty and they were looking at it while Nacewa was kicking and the ref asked if the tackle was any more than a penalty, TMO said no, and while they were looking Nacewa kicked 3 points. So I don't see what the problem is here.

Not going to bother, be as obtuse as you want

Right. So they saw the tackle, looked at the replay, but missed it. Magic.

Have you enough straws to clutch there? You know exactly what I'm saying but you continue to argue a toss anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Not sure what to make of Ringrose's performance. He was very good attacking, but made a few bad defensive calls. Shot up a few times to make the tackle.but was either brushed off or failed to make the hit.

Have you enough straws to clutch there? You know exactly what I'm saying but you continue to argue a toss anyway

I'm not clutching at straws. The straw clutching are things like claims of flying headbutts and claiming the officials missed a tackle that they actually caught.

Ref was good to Leinster tonight, considering we should've been down to 14 men etc.

And it's a really tough fixture to ref because both sides go through so many phases and especially given how aggressive both sides were at the breakdown relative to last week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The hoping was ridiculous th

And the bar service in the Aviva is getting worse

The bar service has gotten out of hand. It's outrageous the amount of people constantly up and down to get drink, followed quickly by a trip to the toilet

They'll never close them though. Saw it written that 40% of twickenhams match day revenue comes from services and goods other than ticket sales

I'm not clutching at straws. The straw clutching are things like claims of flying headbutts and claiming the officials missed a tackle that they actually caught.

TMO got the decision wrong then, happy now?

It's an absolute bore having to spell things out to people on this forum.

And I'll have to look at the head butt again. Looked clear as day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The bar service has gotten out of hand. It's outrageous the amount of people constantly up and down to get drink, followed quickly by a trip to the toilet

They'll never close them though. Saw it written that 40% of twickenhams match day revenue comes from services and goods other than ticket sales
    I queried at half time to get a beer.
    20 minutes later I left and went back empty handed

TMO got the decision wrong then, happy now?

It's an absolute bore having to spell things out to people on this forum.

And I'll have to look at the head butt again. Looked clear as day.

No. I really don't think it was anywhere near bad enough a tackle to justify a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Stheno wrote: »
    I queried at half time to get a beer.
    20 minutes later I left and went back empty handed

Not sure where you were for the match, but i was in the upper stand, purple entrances (corner between south and east stands, I think) - they had only opened a fraction of the available bars, meaning queues were mental. We only got to the stadium shortly after 3 and wondered had they closed the bars or something as the nearest one was not open (neither was the food outlet in the same space), but there were remnants of pints around. We found at half time that the next bar down was open, but it was pure mental. I assume some bean counter made the decision that ticket sales didn't justify opening more bars, but I'd be fairly sure they'd have sold a few more had they opened them too - I know I'd have had the one early on had I been able to get one, and sounds like they lost out on your cash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭techdiver

Very happy specifically because Leinster won the game in a manner that very few people expected today.

Backs against the wall and we came out the other side.

That is the type of gave that wins you a tournament in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Clegg wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of Ringrose's performance. He was very good attacking, but made a few bad defensive calls. Shot up a few times to make the tackle.but was either brushed off or failed to make the hit.

Probably still a bit rusty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement