Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Where exactly is this? Opposite the D.O.D entrance beside the gym? The site I’m thinking of is boarded off, is that the one?

On another topic, anyone know what the hell is going on with the water? Since yesterday it’s been very brown in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TravelCounty

Yep, beside The Gym Newbridge opposite the DOD. Surrounded by the wooden fence. There's a bit of work going on in the "front section" of the site.

Wasn’t there supposed to be a fuel station going in there too?

I'm not 100% sure. It was part of the first application but the second application doesn't seem to make reference to any fuel station. There's fairly big changes made in between the two applications (reconfigured layout, moving of apartment blocks, etc.). If it was dropped, I'm not sure why it was from a "commercial" standpoint because that side of Newbridge lacks petrol stations (as far as I can recall, the one on Naas Road would be the closest to many houses in the area) so I would've thought it would be fairly popular (though I'm not advocating for or against more petrol stations).

If I'm wrong and someone knows feel free to correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Planning lodged for 3 apartments on the site of The nook, Station Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I thought that site was approved for a big shop with a deli?

Yeah, it was application 19414 and it seems to still be granted until January 2025. It was put in by the same applicant that did the apartment application (however that application was deemed invalid so there's still work to do in resubmitting that).

I seen a post on FB that the Gables has been purchased by the owner of the Eyre Powell and is ear marked for Refugee accommodation. Disappointing to see an amenity go by the way side, if the post was correct.

Planning permission granted for the 2nd bridge over the Liffey at Great Connell

Be interesting to see how long this will take to be built.🤞

• Advertisement

The applicant is 'Aston Ltd' who, as best as I can tell, are involved with this development https://greatconnellshdnewbridge.com/

So one would hope it would be at least in conjunction with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Trainuser

Anyone who bought in Curragh Farm in Newbridge, can you comment on the estate please? Thinking of buying here. How’s the experience so far with the houses, transport, traffic, and other amenities.

Post edited by Trainuser on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 swamy

It's been good. Peaceful and quiet area. I like it. They have launched phase 2. The traffic is bad, though. But that is a given in Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 swamy

Anyone know what is coming up next the Maxol?

If you're talking about the construction going on to the left of Maxol, that would be the Steeple View housing estate. It's a development consisting of 12 houses (one 6-unit block, one 5-unit block and one bungalow).

It was initially refused by KCC in 2019 (for water attenuation reasons) but after going through ABP was appealed and granted.

Perhaps the funniest thing to come out of the process was the year long correspondence between KCC and the developers on naming the site. It took 9 names for KCC to agree on one. In fairness to KCC, there were some genuine issues with some of the names (they proposed 'College View' as if there wasn't enough places starting with 'College') but it got borderline ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

(they proposed 'College View' as if there wasn't enough places starting with 'College') but it got borderline ridiculous.

What college were they supposed to have a view of? 🤔

My guess is Newbridge College, which in fairness can be seen from that area. But it's not the most imaginative name in the world 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Military College, close to St. Brigid's church steeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Fair enough. I never really noticed any reference to a Military College (although I must have heard it without it sinking in), and it makes sense . None of my family were in the army.

I knew it wouldn't be Newbridge College.

Kildare County Council is beginning to create the Newbridge Local Area Plan for 2025-2031.

It's taking submissions that will (hopefully) inform the creation of the plan. It'd be great to get a lot of submissions to make it clear to Kildare County Council that Newbridge residents have a lot of demands for the town (as is evident if you ever look at a Newbridge Facebook group).

Newbridge has a large population in a relatively small area so it has great potential for services that improve the quality of life. From what I can tell, some of the biggest issues are:

• Transport: This would be a big one. It can't be denied that there are huge traffic issues in Newbridge. Since Newbridge has a large (in Ireland terms) population in a small-ish area, there's great scope for improved local bus routes. With WhiteWater and basically all the retail and services very close in the town, it could be a very popular way to get people to those services without the car. We've seen how successful the Carlow routes are. More blatant recognition that Newbridge is a commuter town is essential (whether it's good to have a commuter town 40km away from Dublin is good or not, it has happened and with the way the large new builds are marketed as the perfect commuter home, it will not slow down anytime soon). The 2nd bridge definitely needs to be funded and perhaps a proper ring road.
    • Public amenities: There's a lot of appetite for public spaces - pools, parks/open spaces, etc. I'm not sure the scope for the council's involvement with this, but anything that puts public services into Newbridge (instead of Newbridge residents travelling elsewhere) would be great.
    • Town centre "renewal": This is not to say the town centre is severely run down, but it could be a lot better. Making it a more inviting area is important.
    • Infrastructure: The town is in dire need of schools, GPs, etc. The council are aware of this and there are some plans but it's worth 'reminding' them.

While I know these endless consultations seem meaningless, local area plans do get reasonable acted on, so it's important to voice your opinions and make a submission.

Newbridge is a large player in South Kildare and it's important it continues to so that the area is well-served with visions on par with those of Naas or Maynooth - hopefully this plan will be innovative!

• Advertisement

For years we have wanted the 2nd bridge over the Liffey, yet nothing has been done about it. All well and good having a vision, it’s putting that vision into action that’s needed.

What are the improvements in the Carlow routes that’s mentioned above? I also wouldn’t be using Maynooth as an example- ever tried getting through the Main Street? I’ve seen traffic queued back to the Tesco roundabout heading in the Kilcock direction.

I don’t mean to be negative it’s just what’s written above we hear everytime theres an election in the offing.

No, I understand. Things have been moving slow in Newbridge for a long time.

The bridge is heading in a promising direction, though still some ways off yet. Development around the area at Lidl RDC seems to have kick-started most of this to be honest. With the potential for Diageo setting up there (and presumably by the road layout and site layout, attracting more industry), it seems that will provide some incentive for that. Though unfortunate that it might take business to get it done, it would be good nonetheless.

(Edit: Private developers offering the planning also helped as well, I just don't think KCC have the in-house capacity for it anymore. That probably was more the reason than the whole Lidl thing now that I think of it, since lorries wouldn't really be heading that direction, they'd probably be coming from Newhall direction)

Maynooth was more of an example of just the general direction of a town - you're right, car traffic is still bad there - but it's a designated key town and has projects in works (like DART). Not saying we should have DART or anything but due to it's designation as a key town, it's liable to get more funding for more ambitious projects.

Carlow got 2 new town bus routes that operate at 30 min frequencies around the town at cheap fares. The general reception has been positive and I presume there's scope there for 1 or 2 more routes if things go well.

Local Area Plans generally tend to be done asynchronously to election cycles. Newbridge's last Local Area Plan was "expired" for a while so it's overdue. I don't think councillors have a huge input into this sort of thing.

There are some promising things - the redevelopment of St. Conleths Park, the redeveloped Library plans, planning for a 2nd bridge, redeveloped Bord Na Móna HQ (more for aesthetic direction) - all point towards somewhat promising outlooks.

I would err on the side of pessimism when it comes to these things myself, but at the same time I think it does good to remain somewhat hopeful for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

I'm near certain that this was purchased by the developers that own the land next to it and it is all part on a single development called Pairc Na Manach with about 100 apartments (duplex) and 100 houses.

Future development will see a further 200+ homes to the south.

I'm not 100% sure. There isn't really much land close to the new development and it is sort of surrounded on all sides by other developments/buildings. If you're interested, 181367 is the planning number for the nearly-completed development.

There is definitely a large site to the south, near Belin Woods, but much of that is with An Bord Pleanála where Aston Ltd. (the same company that got permission for the 2nd bridge) are seeking permission for ~560 houses/apartments (Great Connell SHD). The project is long overdue a decision and, while I'm not 100% sure on the rules, it seems as though it could've been a potentially invalid submission due to changes in how large housing projects are dealt with by ABP.

However, since KCC have given permission for the 2nd bridge by the same company, that might go in this developments favour - especially since their proposed development was visible in renderings and drawings of the bridge. But, if it is granted, it would probably one of the largest housing developments in Newbridge in a very long time and would see considerable population increase - it would need KCC to seriously think about the infrastructure situation in Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

That planning is for a small development on the opposite side of the town. You may be mixing up TOP fuel station (where the small infill development you have mentioned is) with the large development beside Maxol at Ballymany where eventually there will be over 400 homes and was what the previous poster had been asking about. The first phase is under construction and comprises mainly duplexes (about 100) and some 3 bed houses.

Yes, you're right! I know exactly what you're on about now - in front of the Curragh Farm development? Can't believe I mixed up the two.

If I could delete my post I would because it's completely the wrong answer to the original question 😅.

Thanks for pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

Hi,

Looking for recommendations.

Have some damp near the skirting under a window in the main bedreoom. No visible signs of any leaks/water.

Is there anyone who had similar & who did they use?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭NedNew2

Are there trees or a drainpipe on the outside wall where the damp patch is?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

No, its in upstairs bedroom at front of the house (semi-d),under bay window on 1 side near skirting

• Advertisement

Drove up to Toughers on the Halloween BH weekend to get the van washed only to discover them closed-seeing as it was a long weekend I thought okay. Drove up again yesterday ( Saturday ) only find them closed again.

Anyone know if they are still doing vehicle washes?

Advertisement