Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbishment (Tenants rights)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Couple of points about this:

1: Couldn't imagine any builder agreeing to carry out refurbishment/new kitchen while tenants in situ.

2: if the tenant suffered an injury as a result of the works going on, the builder/LL could be facing a huge claim.

3: The water would most likely need to be turned off during works.

4: This point has come up before, just what is "substantial refurbishment" in relation to an apartment, given that planning permission would never be needed and how spartan apartments tend to be, the only "substantial" refurbishments which could be done in an apartment is a new kitchen/painting, the only other refurbishments I can think of would be bathroom/new carpets. To my knowledge apartments are not excluded from termination on grounds of substantial refurbishment so it's fair to assume that "substantial" is relative to the type of property, a new kitchen may not be classified as substantial in a house, but given the relative size and limit on amount of refurbishment which can be done in an apartment, it be be classified as substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's true. I have heard to tenants who stayed during kitchen installations and then took a case to rtb that minimum standards weren't provided. Landlords had to pay compensation.

Any examples of this stuff you 'heard'.

Where did you hear it surely there is records of the judgements

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

listermint wrote: »
    Any examples of this stuff you 'heard'.

Where did you hear it surely there is records of the judgements

Im sure you can look up the judgements if you want.

I've only been involved as an accountant who had to answer queries from a client as to whether the rtb fine was tax deductible.

I'm not gonna name a client of a firm I've worked in so you can look up the case sorry.

Advertisement