Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al Porter's excuse was that he was being flamboyant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sh!teinabucket

Edit:I'm bi myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Manion wrote: »
    You don't need a victim to press charges to admit guilt. If there is one thing we know for sure is that victims of sexual assault massively under report.

I understand that but I'm curious as to why they wouldn't now that it's public knowledge. Some might say that loss of his career is punishment enough but while likely, it's not certain so I'd want to make sure he faced the consequences of assault

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Manion wrote: »
    You don't need a victim to press charges to admit guilt. If there is one thing we know for sure is that victims of sexual assault massively under report.

The person he is alleged to have groped in a psychiatric hospital has made a complaint to gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Did these things all happen recently? Or did they happen a few years ago and are being brought up now? What he did was out of line but hes really being hung out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Chicken, Graham Norton (Walker) is a Corkman and is Irish. We Cork people are proud of him. Likewise, we always accepted Terry Wogan was from Limerick and Irish.
    Sorry a bit off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

OhChicken wrote: »
    Forgot about him, but in fairness he is effectively British.

Yeah, the same way Jeremy Irons is effectively Irish, Bob Geldof is effectively British and the Edge from U2 is effectively American. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

What surprised me and shocked me about this whole sorry affair, is the amount of people on Twitter and FB defending the indefendsible and saying it was just a "laugh" or the accusers are out for their 15mins of fame and money.
    Disgraceful stuff.

Grabbing someones genitals or ass without their permission is not a laugh nor is it an excuse because one is "flamboyant" and "outrageous". I know many a person who is flamboyant and outrageous and they keep their hands to themselves.

It is not easy for someone who is the victim of groping or sexual assault to come forward, lots think they are the only one or they may think they wont be believed, but in so many cases when one person comes forward, numerous others will follow and that's a good thing.

What worries me about this particular case (and Spacey) is that there was a lot of deflection in their "apology" and to me it feeds into the preconceived notion (by many, usually anti LGBT ) that all gay men are predatory and sexual deviants.

We are not .

Groping is wrong , sexual assault is wrong, whether you are gay or straight.

I remember reading a twitter feed some months back by a gay guy I think it was in the UK and he was quite traumatized and upset.

What had happened was that he was out with his BF and some friends in a gay club and a straight girl came over to him and grabbed him by the balls for no reason at all and preceded to walk away.

He was shocked at what happened and felt violated (rightly so). He didn't know what to do, or how to react as it happened so fast. "Should he go tell the bouncers and make a complaint? Would he be believed if he went to the Police? Would he be told it was "nothing" and to laugh it off?"

In the end he did nothing for the above reasons BUT it was still troubling him days after the incident, and he was extremely upset.

Can you imagine a guy going up to a girl in a club and grabbing her by the crotch or breasts? He would be immediately arrested and charged with sexual assault.

As i said grabbing someone by the balls or ass is wrong and it shouldn't be put down as a bit of a laugh, no one knows how the victim feels.

I have enormous sympathy to those who came forward and made the accusations and wish them well. I am conscious also that Al Porters career is possibly finished and given that he has publicly stated he suffers with depression I hope his mental health wont suffer, due this troubling time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

You would really need to be fond of playing devil's advocate to believe that it simply never occurred to Porter that his behaviour was inappropriate and had an upsetting impact on those who were on the receiving end. At 24 he's not a product of some Mad-Men type upbringing where feeling up women (or men, in this case) is seen as no big deal. He should know as part of basic 'right v wrong' that groping someone without their consent is not an acceptable way to behave, even if it's supposedly done with humourous intent rather than to intimidate.

+1.

I have read the threads here on boards and elsewhere. This is exactly what I have been trying to articulate, in my own mind, since this story first became public. Nobody is brought up to believe that grabbing another person's genitalia, without their consent, is an acceptable way to behave. Nobody.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Is Al Porter really the most famous gay man on Irish television? :confused: Oh, I see it's the Sindo that claims that schtick. How anyone can take that rag seriously I can't fathom. I’d see Porter as just a loudmouth, cringeworthy, one trick pony newcomer. Personally I can’t stand his cringey, attention-seeking antics. But I suppose many people think he’s funny - which I think not.

If these allegations are true, he’s shameful and does nothing for the wider image/perceptions of gay guys. We are not a bunch of pervy gropers. But the homophobes will think that’s the case but then they will look at any sort excuse to vilify us anyway.

Putting your hands down someone's crotch without their consent is clear sexual assault. And it looks like he did this several times. Utterly unacceptable.

And a poster earlier in this thread said if it happened to him he'd just laugh it off. Most wouldn't. And another issue that needs addressing is that of women groping and sexually harassing men.

Some serious allegations coming out regarding Al-that he's been doing this for some time.

Creepily, Des Bishop deleted the podcast interview in which Al revealed he'd been accused of assault back in secondary school-then claimed those individuals had 'apologised' to him in later life. Unless they say it personally, I don't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't believe all the fuss there is over this...it's just nuts.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I can't believe all the fuss there is over this...it's just nuts.

Funny guy...not at all.

Wonder if you would make the same jokes about the women being groped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Is Al Porter really the most famous gay man on Irish television?

I have literally no idea who he is. Then again, I don't watch Irish televison.

Graham Norton; Leo I, and Brian Kennedy are the most famous (living) gay guys I can think of...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

Panti > Norton, since he's never on Irish tv.

Advertisement