Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Men’s Day

Options
  • 19-11-2017 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

International Mens Day is a good reminder that the biggest killer of men aged under 45 is suicide. If you’re feeling trapped by dark thoughts, there is help & support out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Prostrate Cancer is the second most common cancer in men here. Over 3,000 diagnosed every year.
    Easy to prevent if caught early (98% survival rate) (26% survival rate if caught late)

Get to the GP if you are worried or have any of the symptoms, especially over 50's, but it can start as early as 30 with no symptoms.

https://www.cancer.ie/cancer-information/prostate-cancer#sthash.A1yov8in.dpbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Testicular cancer can affect very young men - like early 20s - so keep checking those bad boys for lumps/changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    But there is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Celebrate-International-Men%E2%80%99s-Day-2015.png

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

So you say. But you’re wrong because there is an international men’s day and it’s great to raise awareness of the issues that affect men. Back in your box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

#equality International Women's Day

Not sure how you expect a diagnosis on your balls from here. If you are worried at any stage about any little pain in your balls, go to the GP. No point waiting here, wondering, and getting testicular cancer in the meantime (worth the €60 every time)

Probably because you added it afterwards to your strange comment.

Are you expecting people to be doctors here? Medical advice isn't permitted. Should there be a set age? Women get breast pains and stings all the time - don't know if there is an age it stops though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

snowflaker wrote: »
    International Mens Day is a good reminder that the biggest killer of men aged under 45 is suicide. If you’re feeling trapped by dark thoughts, there is help & support out there.

Yes, for a price

me_irl wrote: »
    There is an international men's day. Is the victimhood among some getting to the point where denial of actual reality is being resorted to?

Odd. I'm in my 40s and I've never had any pains in my balls, that wasn't associated with a knee going there first. Perhaps you're doing something you shouldn't?

I know people who were health freaks and still got cancer. Life is a risk. Get used to it. Stop worrying about it and just enjoy your life.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Yes, for a price

:confused:

http://www.3ts.ie/need-help/crisis-helplines/

What exactly does "freephone" mean?

There is an international men's day. Is the victimhood among some getting to the point where denial of actual reality is being resorted to?

No. I was trying to point out to the quoted poster that "in this day and age" there are both. Hence the unnecessary need to complain about there being a men's health day...

...this thread has already gone off the rails! :pac:

No. I was trying to point out to the quoted poster that "in this day and age" there are both. Hence the unnecessary need to complain about there being a men's health day...

...this thread has already gone off the rails! :pac:
    I'm really sorry - misunderstood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

:confused:

http://www.3ts.ie/need-help/crisis-helplines/

What exactly does "freephone" mean?

You really think an untrained volunteer can help? They advise you speak to a professional

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

There's no way in this day and age there's allowed to be a men's day. Men's health day maybe.

As far as health goes, at what age can you stop worrying about every little pain in your balls for no reason? Like is there an age it stops being a risk?

I had testicular cancer 2 years ago at the age of 36. While rare you can still get it into your 60's.

Gentlemen- recommence checking your balls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭iptba

A free screening service for male cancers would be nice in an ideal world.

• Advertisement

TBH I'm a fatalist. I've become quite skeptical regarding modern medicine. So, unless I get a very obvious sign of something wrong, I tend to stay, as far away as possible, from the medical profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

TBH I'm a fatalist. I've become quite skeptical regarding modern medicine. So, unless I get a very obvious sign of something wrong, I tend to stay, as far away as possible, from the medical profession.

Once they get you into the system you won't escape

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

iptba wrote: »
    A free screening service for male cancers would be nice in an ideal world.

I'd second this - would be good to see HPV testing and checks for testicular cancer offered, and possibly the PSA blood test for prostate cancer in older men if it isn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,055 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

International mans day and as expected no google doodle or special facebook message like there is for international woman's day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

International mans day and as expected no google doodle or special facebook message like there is for international woman's day

Men aren't as needy.

tenor.gif?itemid=4655891

You know, the victimhood from some (which is something many feminists get rightly slated for) - what does this achieve? Wouldn't it make more sense to use that energy to help create awareness? Rather than complaining about others not doing anything...

You know, the victimhood from some (which is something many feminists get rightly slated for) - what does this achieve? Wouldn't it make more sense to use that energy to help create awareness? Rather than complaining about others not doing anything...

It's not really victimhood to expect equality...

I would agree with you if you had suggested that following in the steps of modern feminism was idiotic, or behaving red pill... but to expect equal treatment doesn't seem a terrible thing to request.

It's not really victimhood to expect equality...

I would agree with you if you had suggested that following in the steps of modern feminism was idiotic, or behaving red pill... but to expect equal treatment doesn't seem a terrible thing to request.
    I don't mean that - I mean nitpicking like "there can't be a men's day" (when there is one) and "there's no Google doodle". It doesn't indicate interest in actually addressing the issues which affect men, it just looks like finding fault for the sake of it.

But obviously highlighting men's issues and lack of resources is one of the aims of international men's day.

• Advertisement

I'm no doctor, but I think I've spotted the reason why you may have pain in your balls. Best leave the wood alone for a while :D

Advertisement