Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules Test Two 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

blanch152 wrote: »
    When I was watching it this morning, I was thinking that if you replaced the whole Ireland team with the Dublin squad, you would have seen a much better performance.

A pity they weren't there but that's life.

I'm as big a fan of the Dublin team as the next man but there's more than a touch of hyperbole in that statement.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Gael85 wrote: »
    Majority of key Dublin team couldn't play due to club commitments

That's the greatest load of tosh going. Only vincents and cuala players have an excuse. The rest were cop outs. Plenty of other counties had players playing close to the cut off including Mayo. Gavin didn't want them there and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

threeball wrote: »
    That's the greatest load of tosh going. Only vincents and cuala players have an excuse. The rest were cop outs. Plenty of other counties had players playing close to the cut off including Mayo. Gavin didn't want them there and that was that.

Now your talking bull. Dublin have always made themselves available in previous years

McCaffrey/Cooper/Kilkenny-injured. League semi finals and final have been played since county final. That ruled out another 7/8 players. You would have noticed today players who were training 5/6 weeks for this game struggling with the rules. Now imagine parachuting lads 3/4 lads into without training to a new game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Now your talking bull. Dublin have always made themselves available in previous years

McCaffrey/Cooper/Kilkenny-injured. League semi finals and final have been played since county final. That ruled out another 7/8 players. You would have noticed today players who were training 5/6 weeks for this game struggling with the rules. Now imagine parachuting lads 3/4 lads into without training to a new game?

Fenton played the Senior B final with Raheny during the week and they were also pushing for promotion from div 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

it's cr@p anyway. Why would Dublin involve themselves in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Majority of key Dublin team couldn't play due to club commitments

BS, only O'Callaghan + Connolly were still involved with their Clubs

It's no surprise when the GAA treat Dublin so favourably all the time the players develop the same attitude

TrueGael wrote: »
    BS, only O'Callaghan + Connolly were still involved with their Clubs

League semi and finals played last week. 7/8 players involved with that.

Gavin is clearly not interested in it. Dublin are not under any obligation to supply players to someone who has made his opinion of Dublin quite apparent over the years.

What goes around comes around, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

threeball wrote: »
    Gavin didn't want them there and that was that.

Why on earth would he care if they went or not?

League semi and finals played last week. 7/8 players involved with that.

How convenient is that?

Dublin not only have all the weekends to play club matches throughout the year but they also have plenty of midweeks in which to play matches which nobody else has the luxury of

Even if the 7/8 figure is correct, Dublin have a Juggernaut squad of 35 it's total bull to expect us to believe that this isn't a management enforced decision

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

it was chance for players from second tier counties like Kerry to have a holiday. Surely you do not resent that? If Dublin players had gone they be accused of taking up places from players who for whom this is a highlight. Means nothing to Dublin.

Patww79 wrote: »

Oh look it's the 'I'm not from Dublin' man blindly defending his heroes right on cue:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TrueGael wrote: »
    How convenient is that?

Dublin not only have all the weekends to play club matches throughout the year but they also have plenty of midweeks in which to play matches which nobody else has the luxury of

Dublin have a Juggernaut squad of 35 it's total bull to expect us to believe that this isn't a management enforced decision

Dublin have rule(for last 2 league games-league games can be postponed until Dublin are finished championship) which drags the season out if clubs insist on playing county players. This usually involves club involved in promotion/relegation playoffs.You be better off doing a bit of research. Don't know what squad 35 has to do. Only 5/6 lads would be called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Just over 30,000 there, which is about normal for Eagles or Dockers home AFL matches.
    Kick off was 4:45pm Perth time, so it would be prime TV viewing time over east. At that time of day in Perth, the focus  for many is stuffing food down their pieholes.
    Irish lads played very well in the first 2 quarters, started to look a bit ragged in the 3rd & were largely blowing out their ar5e in the 4th.  They did alright to keep the score as close as it was.
    Neither country had full strength teams, or anywhere near it.  Big Nat Fyffe & little Eddie Betts were the standout Aussies.
    The fitness of the fully professional Aussies was the defining feature - Ireland were every bit as good as them first half- in fact outplayed them at times.

Believe the next matches in 2 years may be played in the US. Nice for the expats, but not sure it's the best way to keep the series in the limelight.
    FWIW, the Aussies seem keen to continue. Competitive matches in the close season are good entertainment & I hope they do continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Well in fairness, guys who were injured were not going to be invited to join the thing. So those lads were never going. However, we know that 10 Dublin players were invited to join - Kernan stated as much.
    O'Callaghan and Connolly were involved in club.
    McCarthy started a new or something I believe? Fair enough.
    What about the other 7?

Still I haven't heard a good reason why Gavin would demand his players not partake in a glorified friendly in November...

Well in fairness, guys who were injured were not going to be invited to join the thing. So those lads were never going. However, we know that 10 Dublin players were invited to join - Kernan stated as much.
    O'Callaghan and Connolly were involved in club.
    McCarthy started a new or something I believe? Fair enough.
    What about the other 7?

Who the 10 players??

Brian Fenton started new job but still had league semi and B championship
    James McCarthy,John Small,Philly McMahon,Dean Rock,Evan Comerford,Paul Mannion,Cian O'Sullivan,Ciaran Reddin,Cormac Costello,David Byrne,Michael Fitzsimmons,Conor Mulally,Brian Howard,MDMA,Shane Carthy and Kevin McManamon on top of Connolly and O'Callaghan had various games.

• Advertisement

Who the 10 players??

Brian Fenton started new job but still had league semi and B championship
    James McCarthy,John Small,Philly McMahon,Dean Rock,Evan Comerford,Paul Mannion,Cian O'Sullivan,Ciaran Reddin,Cormac Costello,David Byrne,Michael Fitzsimmons,Conor Mulally,Brian Howard,MDMA,Shane Carthy and Kevin McManamon on top of Connolly and O'Callaghan had various games.

He never named the 10, but i think b brogan was referenced. Id imagine cluxton, fenton, flynn would be 3 guys who would be potential candidates. Osullivan another. So we could say 5 there.

As for the guys you listed, ballymun were out before the thing started. If hughes can fly out after the first test i dont see how those lads were too late before the thing even kicked off.

In reality, every county has 'various games' running at the minute, yet their players were able to go..

He never named the 10, but i think b brogan was referenced. Id imagine cluxton, fenton, flynn would be 3 guys who would be potential candidates. Osullivan another. So we could say 5 there.

As for the guys you listed, ballymun were out before the thing started. If hughes can fly out after the first test i dont see how those lads were too late before the thing even kicked off.

In reality, every county has 'various games' running at the minute, yet their players were able to go..

Ballymun played a league semi final since the county final. Darren Hughes was on the stand by list. None of the Dublin players attended the training so madness throwing in players who haven't played this game. Bernard Brogan and Cluxton have given plenty of service to this game over the years. Paul Flynn is in decline and is due to get married soon

Ballymun played a league semi final since the county final. Darren Hughes was on the stand by list. None of the Dublin players attended the training so madness throwing in players who haven't played this game. Bernard Brogan and Cluxton have given plenty of service to this game over the years. Paul Flynn is in decline and is due to get married soon

But surely he was on the standby list because he actually attended the trainings. The point is he was called in as late as in between tests, therefore had people been bothered to attend the trainings, they could have been called up right up until the last few days, when their games were over. So you could argue even Connolly could have gone, the way it panned out.

RE cluxton and brogan, well Sean Cavanagh was going to go this year, but for club commitments (another guy in decline, doesn't mean it rules him out though). He'd have given as much and more service in his day. You would expect guys that were given the honour of captaining their country should be willing to support the thing a bit better. Poor form on their part.

In reality, Ciaran Whelan, a man who has been more than died in the wool in his time, couldn't but be critical of the Dublin players attitude towards the thing. It is hard not to take umbrage with this sort of 'what's in it for me' attitude that seems to be prevalent. The gaa opened a lot of doors for all of those guys. It is hard to fathom that representing their country and indeed organisation alongside their peers seems to be something they are avoiding like the plague. It stinks to be honest with you man.

But surely he was on the standby list because he actually attended the trainings. The point is he was called in as late as in between tests, therefore had people been bothered to attend the trainings, they could have been called up right up until the last few days, when their games were over. So you could argue even Connolly could have gone, the way it panned out.

RE cluxton and brogan, well Sean Cavanagh was going to go this year, but for club commitments (another guy in decline, doesn't mean it rules him out though). He'd have given as much and more service in his day. You would expect guys that were given the honour of captaining their country should be willing to support the thing a bit better. Poor form on their part.

In reality, Ciaran Whelan, a man who has been more than died in the wool in his time, couldn't but be critical of the Dublin players attitude towards the thing. It is hard not to take umbrage with this sort of 'what's in it for me' attitude that seems to be prevalent. The gaa opened a lot of doors for all of those guys. It is hard to fathom that representing their country and indeed organisation alongside their peers seems to be something they are avoiding like the plague. It stinks to be honest with you man.

Well club comes before a challenge game. Dublin players spend enough time away from their clubs. Be hard for some of them too to 3 take weeks off when taken enough time off through out the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This siege mentality from the Dubs not only in regards to not making themselves available for the IRT, but the recent media blackout and other incidents, is the reason why they won't be held in the same high esteem as other great teams. I mean James McCarthy and Jack McCaffrey having a go on twitter at Dick Clerkin over his thoughts on the situation in his newspaper column is petty and childish.

Cue a mass of apologists arriving on the scene claiming that they don't give a f*ck what anyone else thinks, AI champs yada yada, and bringing David Clarke/Mayo into the discussion for no reason whatsoever.

Funnily enough, I never heard of the League semi-finals that apparently prevented any Dublin from attending being of such importance any other year.

Nope, I still haven't seen or heard any good reason for the Dublin players to want to boycott the International rules. Anybody?

Apparently club commitments don't count for the players who were with their county as long as it was physically possible to even be with their county all year, and apparently not getting a chance to partake in any of the pre-series training doesn't matter either.

Fair enough then, thats strange logic but lets run with it and get to the real question. Why would the Dublin players want to boycott a free holiday during the one part of the year that would have zero effect on their Dublin intercounty preparations? Why? Why would Jim Gavin care if they went to it or not?

Seriously lads, occams razor and all that, if you are going to spout ****e at least try and address the obvious questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Nope, I still haven't seen or heard any good reason for the Dublin players to want to boycott the International rules. Anybody?

Apparently club commitments don't count for the players who were with their county as long as it was physically possible to even be with their county all year, and apparently not getting a chance to partake in any of the pre-series training doesn't matter either.

Fair enough then, thats strange logic but lets run with it and get to the real question. Why would the Dublin players want to boycott a free holiday during the one part of the year that would have zero effect on their Dublin intercounty preparations? Why? Why would Jim Gavin care if they went to it or not?

Seriously lads, occams razor and all that, if you are going to spout ****e at least try and address the obvious questions?

I'm guessing but could it be as All Ireland champions they might have more lucrative opportunities in this country? Free holiday is nice but sure the county board will lay that on in a few weeks. Flynn and a few of the mens and womens teams were in Boston over the weekend.

AOS did us proud in Australia but would he have travelled if Mayo had won the All Ireland?

I'm being terribly cynical i know but its probably the reality of the situation. Who could blame any of them though. I'd do the same.

So players selected are meant to drop everything, including club, work, college family and head off the Australia for a few weeks to take part in a meaningless circus act?

The club reasons are totally genuine, as is the fact that Dublin will going on a team holiday anyway. It is nice to see players from counties that rarely win anything getting to go surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Bonniedog wrote: »
    So players selected are meant to drop everything, including club, work, college family and head off the Australia for a few weeks to take part in a meaningless circus act?

They obviously didn't feel obliged to no. I think the point you're refusing to address is that players from other counties had the same commitments but chose to travel. What separated the Dubs?

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    They obviously didn't feel obliged to no. I think the point you're refusing to address is that players from other counties had the same commitments but chose to travel. What separated the Dubs?

How many players, other than the Mayo lads, are going to be getting a holiday from county board? Also I doubt any player who was approached went instead of playing an important club game.

How many people here even bothered to get up to watch the games? Be interesting to see the viewing figures. 20 years ago the pubs were packed early on match days. There is minimal interest now.

Advertisement