Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets 70 days in jail for "creepily" staring at someone.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Was he fapping while staring ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

He was staring at her ass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Excessive. Maybe.
    But you know what...F#¢k him.
    Acting like an arsehole, scaring some girl trying to do her job. He might re-think his behaviour and a few more might learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Excessive. Maybe.
    But you know what...F#¢k him.
    Acting like an arsehole, scaring some girl trying to do her job. He might re-think his behaviour and a few more might learn from it.

I can see the thanks this post will get.

Excessive. Maybe you think? It's fecking crazy. He was staring for gods sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

You mean I'll have to curtail my staring activities?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'm always staring at women's a$$es. I guess i should be on death row for it.

"Staring creepily" - who decides what passes as creepy? Does the offender have to show the court the face they made while looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yup, the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh come on now. It's a little more than "just staring at her". He had his face pressed up against the glass in her place of work- twice. Imagine how intimating that would be? The UK are starting to take cases of stalking/intimidation very seriously. Maybe the sentence is a little excessive but he'll think twice next time he takes a notion to be a creepy weirdo.

Edited to say I realise I've said "her" when the article doesn't specify a gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

He stared at a particular shop assistant through the window. Came in asking for something not stocked by the pharmacy and then proceeded to act strangely. He left then came back later to stare through the window again at the same assistant. That's not glancing a second too long while checking someone out.

He also admitted the charge...but hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

First question comes to mind is, was he on anything or under the influence of anything ? 
    Last time I was in Dublin July 2016, remember getting something to eat in Burger King on O Connell street sat near the doors as weren,t many tables available that afternoon, some fellow clearly under the influence of something kept walking up & down outside talking to himself , he,d stop every few minutes & stare in at customers eating then proceed to walk up & down again talking to himself, guess what though I didn,t go ringing the Guards to complain about some fellow staring in at customers at burger king.

• Advertisement

He stared at a particular shop assistant through the window. Came in asking for something not stocked by the pharmacy and then proceeded to act strangely. He left then came back later to stare through the window again at the same assistant. That's not glancing a second too long while checking someone out.

He also admitted the charge...but hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

Do you think staring twice at somebody deserves 70 days in jail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness it is far more accurate to say he was jailed for intimidation and sinister behavior....which it was. Imagine how unnerving that would be, you'd be terrified. I don't think it's excessive given the actual circumstances.

He wasn't arrested and hauled before the courts for just 'staring' at some random person. All the ass connoisseurs on this thread are safe.

Depends what constitutes staring. In order to get a conviction there would need to be evidence of more than a couple of glances. There would need to be multiple witness testimony that he was making a nuisance of himself.

The man was of no fixed abode and may be a regular through the courts, he may have a drug issue and he able to avail of a programme behind bars, we just don't know the details beyond the usual red top clickbait...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's excessive. Put him in for, say, a month. That should teach him a lesson, but for all we know, there could be underlying mental health issues at play.

There is worse antisocial behaviour that would deserve 70 days or more for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's the middle of winter.

I'd say he's disappointed the sentence wasn't longer.

Homeless person gets a couple of months inside with warmth, three meals a day and a nice Christmas dinner thrown in.

What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The problem here is consistency. Quite often I read about far more serious crimes getting community service in the UK, so why is that not good enough here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

When a tidy girl goes past me in the street, I sometimes give an inconspicuous sniff to smell her fragrance. Should I hand myself in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Nobody thinks that. Can you point me to the offence of staring in the Scottish statute books? I notice all the stories on this seem to omit the actual charge. I'm guessing it's because it includes words such as distress, threatening or menacing.

Nobody thinks that. Can you point me to the offence of staring in the Scottish statute books? I notice all the stories on this seem to omit the actual charge. I'm guessing it's because it includes words such as distress, threatening or menacing.

Ok man gets 70 days in jail for staring menacingly at someone.

Nothing wrong with that right? Maybe next time he will know better. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Ok man gets 70 days in jail for staring menacingly at someone.

Nothing wrong with that? Maybe next time he will know better. :rolleyes:

One would hope so. At least them some young one won't have to worry about what he's gonna do next.

• Advertisement

It's excessive. Put him in for, say, a month. That should teach him a lesson, but for all we know, there could be underlying mental health issues at play.

There is worse antisocial behaviour that would deserve 70 days or more for that matter.

We don't know if this was a first-time conviction or not. It may be one of many and the last may have come with the threat of a custodial sentence for the next offence.

He would have been entitled to legal representation and had he made the successful defence of mental incapacity, he would have been referred to a suitable facility. He pled guilty, that's all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

He was arrrested for "menacing behaviour." Holy jasus.

• Administrators Posts: 13,869 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The problem here is consistency. Quite often I read about far more serious crimes getting community service in the UK, so why is that not good enough here.

Often community service is offered in lieu of prison time. Maybe he opted for prison time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I can see why some would find it excessive but, at the same time, I have no problem with the sentence. Staring at someone through a shop window, making her uncomfortable enough to warrant a phonecall to the guards, is abnormal behaviour and such a weird thing to do should be nipped in the bud in my view.

If he got away with it, who's to say he wouldn't have cranked the creepiness up a notch and started following her home, or doing some other weird sh*t like rooting tampons out of her bin and putting them through her letter box. With weirdos like this, I often think they probably start out small and graduate to full-on stalking.

Seventy days can either be seen as extremely harsh, or just harsh enough to make him consider knocking this sort of thing on the head going forward. It's a deterrent and it's not unthinkable to wonder whether the judge spared other women the anguish of this bloke doing more weird stuff in the future. I say fair play.

When a tidy girl goes past me in the street, I sometimes give an inconspicuous sniff to smell her fragrance. Should I hand myself in?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Yes, Dr. Lecter

Stick to the Chianti and fava beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Last time I was in Dublin July 2016, remember getting something to eat in Burger King on O Connell street sat near the doors as weren,t many tables available that afternoon, some fellow clearly under the influence of something kept walking up & down outside talking to himself , he,d stop every few minutes & stare in at customers eating then proceed to walk up & down again talking to himself, guess what though I didn,t go ringing the Guards to complain about some fellow staring in at customers at burger king.

That's a non-event in that part of the city. You'll find lots of very interesting characters around O' Connell street and Abbey street lower. Temple Bar has a completely different set of odd balls again. Why didn't you chose to go to Burger King instead of McDonalds, as a matter of interest?

The court obviously thought it was menacing enough to warrant the sentence, and I assume they were privy to more information than the scant article. I can see how someone staring intently through the window as someone works and doesn't move can be very concerning.

Also the article doesn't state the gender of the person being subjected to this, so perhaps it wasn't some poor slob stealing a quick glance at a hot girls butt, but a person with some unfounded grudge against a guy who works in the pharmacy, being deliberately intimidating.

Sentenced to 70 days, but almost certainly out much much sooner given the overcrowding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Double cheeked up on a Thursday afternoon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

He was arrrested for "menacing behaviour." Holy jasus.

He was told off by the police and returned just in time for dinner to stare in the window at this person (presumably to catch them going out for food?)

If twoz my sisters/anyone i get on with...he was trying to intimidate I'd not be impressed with this behaviour and be hoping this lad gets checked out by a proper mental health/physiologists.

Advertisement