Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The first human head transplant has taken place

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I have to say lads I am deeply disappointed that there's been no comment of "what kind of life is there with no head ?"

Or similar. Not good enough!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Apparently the first recipient of this surgery is going to be the great great grandson of Albert Einstein, his name is Frank...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

This sounds like something Karl Pilkington would come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

If this works I can see a future where billionaires kidnap healthy 20 something year olds to prolong their life. At the very least we will get a good sci-fi out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

That's the only way to get ahead in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Rory28 wrote: »
    If this works I can see a future where billionaires kidnap healthy 20 something year olds to prolong their life. At the very least we will get a good sci-fi out of this.

kidnap them?

they will grow them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Surprised this hasn't got more media coverage tbh. Was only reading on LinkedIn yesterday and then it just 'happened' this morning.

If successful and I assume we won't know for a while if the guy is in a coma and then rehab, etc then it would be such a breakthrough for medicine no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

kidnap them?

they will grow them

ah nuts. The Island was a terrible movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Would it not be easier to do a brain transplant than an entire head transplant?

It Absolutely definitely wouldn't work, but it would be easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

You can do anything you sent your mind to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

On a corpse. I would've thought that wouldn't be too risky?

However, this is interesting:

So does this pave the way for people to swap bodies and heads around, for the craic?

How do they prove that they did the transplant correctly if they did it on already dead people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

How do they prove that they did the transplant correctly if they did it on already dead people?

Maybe they sat the body up and the head didn't fall off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

They had volunteers read Louise O’Neill articles out loud on 24hr rotation until the corpse got up and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

My only dilemma now is what body to choose?

Do I choose a hot young wan with lovely boobs so that I can spend all day playing with them?

I mean if I chose a fellas body, whenever I have to go for a piss it would involve holding another fellas mickey. I mean if I had the mans body I'd be doing to riding but it would be with some dead fella's mickey.

I think that it was Socrates who first posed this question back in the day

Do you get to pick a younger body, or does it have to be the same age? Can, say, a 70 year old brain deal with the way an 18-year old body works? An old as f**k head on a fit young body is gonna be a bit weird.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Surprised this hasn't got more media coverage tbh. Was only reading on LinkedIn yesterday and then it just 'happened' this morning.

If successful and I assume we won't know for a while if the guy is in a coma and then rehab, etc then it would be such a breakthrough for medicine no?

It's been done on a corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

lawred2 wrote: »
    so they stuck a head on a corpse?

how could they possibly know if they did it right?

also - did they do it during a lightning storm?

They bring him/her back to life and ask them. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So, they plan to take a healthy head from a terminally ill body, and stick it on a recently deceased, headless (but healthy) body? How do they get the donor body back to life? They are hardly going to take the head off someone still alive and put on the new head... unless the person is brain dead?

Cup of strong tae would probably do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Do you get to pick a younger body, or does it have to be the same age? Can, say, a 70 year old brain deal with the way an 18-year old body works? An old as f**k head on a fit young body is gonna be a bit weird.

They could probably put a 70 year old head on a 18 year old body but the brain would still be old and die before the body does.

They could probably put a 70 year old head on a 18 year old body but the brain would still be old and die before the body does.

Not necessarily - do brains have lifespans independent to the body? Or could they keep going if they had a chance to access younger blood / healthier lungs / heart / nervous system etc?

Or are the likes of eyesight / hearing failing down to the age of the head?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

John Giles could make a comeback on the Irish team if he got a young body; HORRAY!.........
    (And also Eamon Dunphy; oh sh1t!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I find it all a bit fcuky to be honest. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

This is all nonsense.
    How can they say they successfully reattached the spinal column when we all know very well that when the spinal cord is cut, it leads to a life paralyzed or at best, very very intense rehabilitation with the hope of getting a bit of movement.
    I fail to see how they could completely attach two different cords and be thrilled with the success.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

"A full head swap between brain dead organ donors is the next stage,” Professor Canavero said."

Christ. I hope they won't come raiding Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

"A full head swap between brain dead organ donors is the next stage,” Professor Canavero said."

Christ. I hope they won't come raiding Boards.

We’ll protect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

This is all nonsense.
    How can they say they successfully reattached the spinal column when we all know very well that when the spinal cord is cut, it leads to a life paralyzed or at best, very very intense rehabilitation with the hope of getting a bit of movement.
    I fail to see how they could completely attach two different cords and be thrilled with the success.

and also, how are they going to transplant a living head onto a living headless body? How will they keep the head alive? Doesn't part of the brain control involuntary actions such as breathing, how will they keep the heart beating without the brain attached?

Surely this is hogwash?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

They did it on a corpse !! ? For F*cks sake sure I could do that !!!

Jaysus just give me some superglue and a staple gun and were grand like ..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The brain doesn't have it's own timeline

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

It's pronounced Huuurrrrfuuuurrrrrrrr.

Advertisement