Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport for the future

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

A monorail is what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A monorail is what we need.

That's more of a Shelbyville idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

bear1 wrote: »
    Fcukin hell :D
    Your posts are always interesting and/or logical to me.
    Reminds me of my old biology teacher, no matter what you said the bastard always had the counter argument that left you thinking "balls I hadn't thought of that"

He’s been wrong before. He’s very definite though.

That said he’s right about this. Teleportation kills people and clones them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

He’s been wrong before. He’s very definite though.

That said he’s right about this. Teleportation kills people and clones them.

It's not a very prestigious method.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    ..............then sort out the difference in gauge issue on this side, unless it ran on a dedicated line (in ireland) using the same guage as GB,........

Just use a train that can change it's gauge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately. Chop, chop, let's go.

seamus wrote: »
    Perhaps, but then you get into philosophical questions about identity and sense of self. Our cells replace themselves all the time, piece by piece. You are not the same bundle of cells that you were when you were five years old, yet as far as you're aware there's continuity between then and now. "You" have always been "you".

Maybe when you go asleep at night, you actually die, and someone else wakes up with all your memories. How would you know the difference?

Of course if a couple of atoms were to move tiny fractions of distances at a time, it would make no difference overall. You could remove your arm, send it around the world and reattach it, and "you" would still remain (though you might have trouble with your septic arm).

Clearly the sense of self is somewhere in the brain , but even then there are philosophical questions; Imagine it was possible to replace certain parts of the brain with circuitry - you attach the circuitry, it takes over that function and the part of the brain that used to do it, shuts down.

You do this progressively, and eventually the entire brain has been replaced with circuitry, but without you experiencing any "outage". But are you still "you"? Or is it a machine that thinks its you, and you've actually died?

Pretty easy to answer that one if you see the self as software running on brain hardware.

But back to the op. I’d love to see Ireland or Dublin talk to Elon musk about something. Driverless cars on certain routes. However even though we have a lot of technologists we don’t elect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

I liked to see big infrastructure development in Ireland but then I realise we probably incapable of doing them.

Advertisement