Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLARS time?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Just examining this new SLAR programme for the JC.

We were told that unions have agreed that the schools that have a half day (Wednesday/Friday), will be expected to stay back and carry out meetings then until the normal end of school time (outside your normal 22hours)

Anyone else hear this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

It’s up to each subject to schedule their SLAR, they cannot be told by management or anyone else when specifically it is to take place, but it is outside of normal class teaching time. The teachers in each dept decide by consensus when the SLAR is to happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would agree with Solerina. I haven't heard anything about staying after school on a Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Just examining this new SLAR programme for the JC.

We were told that unions have agreed that the schools that have a half day (Wednesday/Friday), will be expected to stay back and carry out meetings then until the normal end of school time (outside your normal 22hours)

Anyone else hear this?

I was at a union meeting recently - SLAR meetings and NOT to be held after school specifically Friday's or whatever day is half day is. They are to be held during school time only - I don't know how it works exactly - by consensus of free classes for teachers and the rest are freed up with substitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We have been told at branch meetings that it has to be outside teacher timetables and agreed by consensus among department members. We were told it would almost certainly have to be outside school time since there's little chance of everyone being free together in school time. It was made clear to us that since we have 40 minutes professional time already we won't be given any more time off our classes. It was also made clear that the timing of the meeting couldn't be dictated by management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So, more free work then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Union suggested the meetings could happen during house exams. Should be close to the CBAs themselves and should mean teachers in same departments will be off at the same times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The only official guidance received is SLARS and all planning and meetings are to take place outside class contact time and that's what the 40min per week is for. When it happens is up to each subject department and grouping

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

Had a CPD meeting for subject last week. They said there are deadlines for when SLARs have to be done - usually within 2 weeks of CBAs. They also said that the SLAR is longer than the 40 minutes professional time (or whatever it’s called).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The Slar is outside of your timetable. The professional time given this year is to account for this.
    It would be virtually impossible to hold during the school day so therefore after school is the more likely option. If you have two subjects that will account for 8 hours of meetings from the 22 hours of professional time

What I would like to know however what happens where you have to travel as you are in a small school. Can you start counting the two hours from the time you leave your school, and then leave early to account for your return trip.

infor123 wrote: »
    Had a CPD meeting for subject last week. They said there are deadlines for when SLARs have to be done - usually within 2 weeks of CBAs. They also said that the SLAR is longer than the 40 minutes professional time (or whatever it’s called).

The 40 mins is bankable i.e. its not a 40 min per week but rather 2 hours per 3 weeks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

TheDriver wrote: »
    The 40 mins is bankable i.e. its not a 40 min per week but rather 2 hours per 3 weeks etc.

Wasn’t aware of that, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

SLARS are NOT meant to be outside your timetable. This has been said numerous times at union meetings etc. It is apparently written in the circular that it must begin in school time (it might go over school time though to be fair, but we should try to avoid this as much as possible). The 40 minutes isn't meant to be for SLARs but a slight nod to all the extra work the new Junior Cycle entails. It has been suggested to hold SLARS during house exams for example. Don't know how that would work. A few friends in TUI schools have confirmed what I'm saying that their SLARS last year were held during the school timetable of course some teachers were off at that time to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

https://www.jct.ie/perch/resources/leadership/subject-learning-and-assessment-review-meetings.pdf

In the second paragraph this confirms that the SLAR coordinator is allowed two hours to prepare. There's no mention of everybody else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

https://www.jct.ie/perch/resources/leadership/subject-learning-and-assessment-review-meetings.pdf

In the second paragraph this confirms that the SLAR coordinator is allowed two hours to prepare. There's no mention of everybody else though.

It's there somewhere - it was discussed at union meeting - will find notes and come back. All teachers whether free or not have to attend SLAR meeting during school time. If it were after school it would be like imposing CP hours on teachers of junior cycle - watching their colleagues going out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Well we are being told the opposite by TUI - that they are outside the timetable and therefore most likely outside school hours. But accommodation during house exams is recommended as far as possible.

Terri26 wrote: »
    SLARS are NOT meant to be outside your timetable. This has been said numerous times at union meetings etc. It is apparently written in the circular that it must begin in school time (it might go over school time though to be fair, but we should try to avoid this as much as possible). The 40 minutes isn't meant to be for SLARs but a slight nod to all the extra work the new Junior Cycle entails. It has been suggested to hold SLARS during house exams for example. Don't know how that would work. A few friends in TUI schools have confined what I'm saying that their SLARS year were held during the school timetable of course some teachers were off at that time to be fair.

They were inside the school timetable for the English teachers only for the first two years of JCT. That however no longer stands as we have recieved the reduction in teaching time, whearas last year and the year before that you were teaching 22 hours.

The coordinator gets 2 extra hours but rest of dept must do SLARs in their own time, very clear instruction from Desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

TheDriver wrote: »
    The coordinator gets 2 extra hours but rest of dept must do SLARs in their own time, very clear instruction from Desk.

To be fair we have received one full weeks class contact time off a year to off set the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

To be fair we have received one full weeks class contact time off a year to off set the time.

Mine has been included in my timetable so it won't be making any difference to the meetings I must engage with.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Mine has been included in my timetable so it won't be making any difference to the meetings I must engage with.
    Well you have had your timetable reduced by 22 hours so it's time in lieu that you can use when best suits you

• Advertisement

Well you have had your timetable reduced by 22 hours so it's time in lieu that you can use when best suits you

I understand that, but realistically and logistically it does not help in the organisation of my meetings.

Also its not when best suits me. I have no overlapping frees with the other member of my department.

Trying to make sure all departments are on the same page in our dual union school.

https://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/School_Stewards_Letter_re._SLAR_Meetings.pdf this ASTI document quotes the department as saying any attempt to hold SLAR meetings completely out of class time contravenes the arrangement. That they might include a timetabled period and then go on after school from this. Does anyone interpret what this says differently? I'm struggling to understand the logistics here; will management have to use substitution last class to free teachers up? Can teachers start earlier in the day and then continue after school?

Any help appreciated!

Trying to make sure all departments are on the same page in our dual union school.

https://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/School_Stewards_Letter_re._SLAR_Meetings.pdf this ASTI document quotes the department as saying any attempt to hold SLAR meetings completely out of class time contravenes the arrangement. That they might include a timetabled period and then go on after school from this. Does anyone interpret what this says differently? I'm struggling to understand the logistics here; will management have to use substitution last class to free teachers up? Can teachers start earlier in the day and then continue after school?

Any help appreciated!

The mandarins in the Department must have no idea of the complexity of timetables if they think it can start inside school time and finish after school without providing cash to pay for sub cover.

So I am reading it correctly! It has made the whole thing way more confusing! Feeling completely at a loss

So I am reading it correctly! It has made the whole thing way more confusing! Feeling completely at a loss

At a tui meeting we were told it was during the school day but not necessarily in the timetable. Therefore where a school finishes early say on a Wednesday or Friday the spar could happen then and those involved would still be finished before 4.00 on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

At a tui meeting we were told it was during the school day but not necessarily in the timetable. Therefore where a school finishes early say on a Wednesday or Friday the spar could happen then and those involved would still be finished before 4.00 on that day.

What a crock !
    The school day finishes when the final class finishes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Jmb are telling schools to timetable slars during summer house exams

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Jmb are telling schools to timetable slars during summer house exams

That's fine for Science, latest date for the SLAR is 28th May, but Business latest date is 4th May.

We were told that it's part of your professional time and up to departments to arrange it amongst themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

We were told last week, at the in service, that they were to be done in school time, school day, call it whatever you want. The reality is that it was portrayed as being done inside the normal day.

But schools will not have s&s money to use to free us up together. So the reality is that we will be expected to do it after school.

I'd consider splitting it into blocks then. Maybe 40 mins at lunch one day, then another period where we might all be free, then possibly a shorter block after school. That'll rack up the two hour SLAR and get the work done.

Advertisement