Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashless Society

Options
  • 13-11-2017 6:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭

What's your thoughts on it ?

Me personally I wouldn't be in favour of this. The government already have enough control over us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

jonon9 wrote: »
    What?

No more cash

A few Scandinavian countries already doing this, China too..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Australia is highly cashfree. I personally only handle real money a few times a year. I love it.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I hate the idea personally. It hands far too much control to the government in terms of knowing my movements, spending habits, etc, information that is completely out of my control once I decide to buy a cup of coffee, pint of milk or whatever.

There's also something inherently secure about having cold, hard cash in your pocket, that doesn't require a phone to be charged, a card reader to be working, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mike_ie wrote: »
    I hate the idea personally. It hands far too much control to the government in terms of knowing my movements, spending habits, etc, information that is completely out of my control once I decide to buy a cup of coffee, pint of milk or whatever.
    Mmm. It mostly hands this information to commercial bodies. Of course, the government may be able to get it from the commercial bodies, but that's a separate matter.

To be honest, I think this battle is already lost. If you tot up how much of your total expenditure is in cash, you'll find its very little. (And some of that may be tracked anyway, e.g. if you use a supermarket loyalty card.) Non-cash transactions include your salary, your interest, your dividends (on the income side) and your mortgage, your utilities, your online purchases, your air and sea tickets, your insurance, your savings, most of your media consumption, etc, etc (on the expenditure side). OK, so the bank doesn't know which coffee shop you patronise but, really, how big a deal is that, when set against what they do know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

No more cash

A few Scandinavian countries already doing this, China too..

I'm nearly sure this is wrong.

But sure tin foil hat at the ready !

China is a long way off. 90% of consumer payment transactions in China are settled in cash. The government is making a strong push to increase the use of non-cash methods and they do have the world's most rapid growth in the uptake of non-cash methods, but obviously they have a fair way to go yet.

Scandinavia might be closer to the mark. The figure for Sweden is 59%, and rising. (In the Netherlands, 60% and rising; in Singapore, 61% and rising.)

I haven't see a figure for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

It'll end up like that episode of black mirror, everything based on "points"/credit in the bank.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Mmm. It mostly hands this information to commercial bodies. Of course, the government may be able to get it from the commercial bodies, but that's a separate matter.

To be honest, I think this battle is already lost. If you tot up how much of your total expenditure is in cash, you'll find its very little. (And some of that may be tracked anyway, e.g. if you use a supermarket loyalty card.) Non-cash transactions include your salary, your interest, your dividends (on the income side) and your mortgage, your utilities, your online purchases, your air and sea tickets, your insurance, your savings, most of your media consumption, etc, etc (on the expenditure side). OK, so the bank doesn't know which coffee shop you patronise but, really, how big a deal is that, when set against what they do know?

I don't entirely agree. The expenditures you pointed out above are primarily optional - if I decide to buy an airline ticket for example, I have the choice between buying it online, and walking into a bricks and mortar travel agency and handing over cash for a ticket. Each method has pros and cons, but the decision still remains with me. Same with media consumption and so on - yes, it's becoming more difficult to engage in these transactions without having access to a credit card, but the choice still remains with me as to whether the benefits to me outweigh the downsides.

The issue is when such transactions are imposed on people - i.e. cashless society, where you have no choice but to engage in cashless transactions, then privacy of user data disappears out the window. By itself, someone knowing where you bought your cup of coffee this morning might not be such a big issue, but you could say the same thing about having your web browsing habits recorded and analysed - search for something now, and it's not too long before you have targeted advertising appearing, based on your searches. That kind of user data is invaluable to companies, so how long do you think it would take before you start getting spam about dark roast coffee, based on the fact that you've been buying a dark roast coffee every morning on the way to work?

There are also other things to take into account - albeit extremes, they do happen. What happens in the case of a natural disaster, such as Hurricane Katrina, except this time in a cashless society where all of these services are down?

I have no problem with cashless options being available as a compliment to cash, and leaving the choice in the hands of the customer. To remove one, in favour of the other, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Most people are still dependant on the same card to get cash, you're just adding another step which isn't secure or where you can be left short.

Only cash reason I get out cash is to make sure I've change for buses that don't take leap, and the toll which if I pay cash I get away without paying the commercial rate. Would never have used a taxi before the apps made payment so simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I prefer using my card, once I take money out of an atm, it's gone. I absolutely hate having to take out €50 notes!
    I use my card for 90% of my transactions and it helps me to keep track of my spending. If I'm using notes, I find the money just disappears and I can never account for every euro unless I have all of the receipts. And receipts are an inconvenience to keep in my bag or wallet. For card transactions I just keep an eye on my banking app and I can see everything.

I don't entirely agree. The expenditures you pointed out above are primarily optional - if I decide to buy an airline ticket for example, I have the choice between buying it online, and walking into a bricks and mortar travel agency and handing over cash for a ticket. Each method has pros and cons, but the decision still remains with me. Same with media consumption and so on - yes, it's becoming more difficult to engage in these transactions without having access to a credit card, but the choice still remains with me as to whether the benefits to me outweigh the downsides.

The issue is when such transactions are imposed on people - i.e. cashless society, where you have no choice but to engage in cashless transactions, then privacy of user data disappears out the window. By itself, someone knowing where you bought your cup of coffee this morning might not be such a big issue, but you could say the same thing about having your web browsing habits recorded and analysed - search for something now, and it's not too long before you have targeted advertising appearing, based on your searches. That kind of user data is invaluable to companies, so how long do you think it would take before you start getting spam about dark roast coffee, based on the fact that you've been buying a dark roast coffee every morning on the way to work?

There are also other things to take into account - albeit extremes, they do happen. What happens in the case of a natural disaster, such as Hurricane Katrina, except this time in a cashless society where all of these services are down?

I have no problem with cashless options being available as a compliment to cash, and leaving the choice in the hands of the customer. To remove one, in favour of the other, not a chance.
    Mmm. I don't think a cashless society is one where cash doesn't exist; it's one where cash is little-used.

I think we're a long way off a society where cash is formally abolished, but already living in a society where most of our expenditure is in non-cash form (and the non-cash proportion is continuing to rise).

I note your concern about spam. But the fact is that being exempt from spam about coffee because I pay for my coffee in cash is of little benefit to me; I am already deluged with spam targetted by reference to my my browsing, my e-mail contents, my media consumption preferences, etc, etc. I don't see that my condition will be made materially worse by getting coffee-related spam as well. For that matter, Big Brother already knows what coffee I buy to drink at home; if He wants material to target coffee ads at me he already has it.

But, NB, He has this because of the use of supermarket loyalty cards, not non-cash payment systems. He doesn't (or shouldn't) have it from my credit card statements, since those are (supposed to be) confidential between my and my bank. My bank should not be selling that information to anyone and, since they're not in the coffee-retailing business themselves, they have no reason to target me with ads about coffee.

Which makes the point that what we really need here is not more use of cash; its tough, and enforceable, and enforced, data privacy legislation.

Your point about natural disasters is also well made but, again, the real issue here is that we live in society which is functionally largely cashless. In a natural disaster situation, our theoretical right to settle all our obligations in cash will be of little use; there simply won't be enough cash, or (without functioning ATMs and interbank clearing systems) the means to access it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should round cash transactions up to the nearest Euro note, I hate the shrapnel when dealing in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,390 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm not a fan of the idea myself.

How will we teach future generations about the value of money and that once it's gone, it's gone? Or teach them about opportunity cost?

I think, particularly in Ireland, it's asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

Criminals would lose out big time, everything would be traceable.
    No cash would deter knock off gear, smuggled cigs and drugs.
    These are definite positives of a cashless society.

But being irish , and the "system" historically stemming from bring the "Brits" we do like to beat the "system". :)

secman wrote: »
    Criminals would lose out big time, everything would be traceable.
    No cash would deter knock off gear, smuggled cigs and drugs.
    These are definite positives of a cashless society.
    But of course electronic payment systems carry their own risks; who hasn't heard of, if not experienced, credit card fraud? So I think it's swings and roundabouts, really, so far as security risks go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

VW 1 wrote: »
    It'll end up like that episode of black mirror, everything based on "points"/credit in the bank.

And no one wants a society based on sex with pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Don't think the farmers would be happy just keeping an ATM card in their great Granddad's battered suitcase under the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

And no one wants a society based on sex with pigs.

David Cameron might:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

No more buskers and beggars. It will effect the homeless in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

erica74 wrote: »
    I prefer using my card, once I take money out of an atm, it's gone. I absolutely hate having to take out €50 notes!
    I use my card for 90% of my transactions and it helps me to keep track of my spending. If I'm using notes, I find the money just disappears and I can never account for every euro unless I have all of the receipts. And receipts are an inconvenience to keep in my bag or wallet. For card transactions I just keep an eye on my banking app and I can see everything.

Cash all the way for me for day to day things, with all this tapping its to easy to run away with yourself buying things plus with every tap your paying an extra few cents on top of your purchase every time for that facility. With cash in my hand i know how much i have to spend and spend accordingly.as for recipes always good to keep incase of returns. Each to their own i suppose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Cash all the way for me for day to day things, with all this tapping its to easy to run away with yourself buying things plus with every tap your paying an extra few cents on top of your purchase every time for that facility. With cash in my hand i know how much i have to spend and spend accordingly.as for recipes always good to keep incase of returns. Each to there own i suppose....
    Cash is actually quite expensive for merchants and their banks to handle. The handling cost doesn't fall directly on you, the purchaser, but of course it all comes out in the wash; it's built into the price you pay. A switch towards non-cash methods reduces the overheads of trading, which is one of the reasons why governments generally encourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Thats if your tapping the sh*te out of it, thats what the banks want you to do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,829 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Exactly, you make the choice. You could walk to a brick and mortar agency and pay cash, but it's often easier and more convenient to pay online

Public demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Peregrinus wrote:
    Cash is actually quite expensive for merchants and their banks to handle. The handling cost doesn't fall directly on you, the purchaser, but of course it all comes out in the wash; it's built into the price you pay. A switch towards non-cash methods reduces the overheads of trading, which is one of the reasons why governments generally encourage it.

It does make it easier though to implement things such as negative interest rates and bank bail ins, particularly if we had an exclusive cashless society.

I'm not convinced we should give up on cash just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think all countries are easing down the cashless route. It cuts out /down on the the black market.. Granted BitCoin is there for the big boys but it would cut out "cash" jo in the building trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Where I work we don't have contactless(due to not working with our POS) I had to turn away 3 customer on Sunday because they had no cash or card they wanted to use apple/android pay. They look I got was hilarious, it's Limerick guys, most of the shops nearby don't have contactless.

I prefer cash, I rarely use my card, it allows me to have some level of annonimity with regards to what I spend my money on. Also meant that when going for my mortgage that money for online betting was nowhere in my statements as I was able to utilise different payment methods, with cash

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It does make it easier though to implement things such as negative interest rates and bank bail ins, particularly if we had an exclusive cashless society.
    You have interest rates - positive or negative - on bank deposits and bank loans, which are by definition cashless. Things like interest can be charged/credited to them regardless of whether we use cash or debit cards to effect transactions.

The notes and coins in your pocket are cash. Your bank account, and your bank loan, are non-cash. Which means, when you think about it, that we're already largely cashless. What's your total wealth? And how much of that do you keep in notes and coin?

What we mainly use cash for nowadays is as a transfer mechanism to transfer some of our non-cash assets to someone else, who promptly converts what has been transferred back into non-cash form. I go to the ATM, draw out fifty euros, and give it to (say) a bookseller, who gives me a book in exchange. He takes the fifty euro to his bank and deposits it the same day or the next day. The cash has simply been a fairly inefficient method of transferring money from my account to his account.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced we should give up on cash just yet.
    We have largely given up on it already.

Advertisement